What's new

Outcome of Florida SC lawsuits?

:tomshorse:

Sorry,

:deadhorse:

Couldn't help myself

:yoDur:

Here is what I find intriguing about the Florida multi-rigger situation. We keep hearing that people fear venues will give up karaoke, just out of fear of going through the hassle of SC possibly fingering them. Yet here we have a company that was actually named and every venue still kept them? Do you know if the venues got nailed also? I know they get their penalty dropped if the KJ settles but you would think they would be P.O.ed at the company anyway.

The one thing about the SC suits for me was at least it was seeming to give teeth to telling venues they should hire legal hosts. But this would indicate that the venues just aren't going to care, even if fingered.

possumdog said:
Here is what I find intriguing about the Florida multi-rigger situation. We keep hearing that people fear venues will give up karaoke, just out of fear of going through the hassle of SC possibly fingering them. Yet here we have a company that was actually named and every venue still kept them? Do you know if the venues got nailed also? I know they get their penalty dropped if the KJ settles but you would think they would be P.O.ed at the company anyway.

The one thing about the SC suits for me was at least it was seeming to give teeth to telling venues they should hire legal hosts. But this would indicate that the venues just aren't going to care, even if fingered.

*jumps through the flames here* :sqerr: Let me preface this by saying I'm not a lawyer: However here's what I think so long as the venue is paying their ASCAP/BMI fees, they should be in the clear they cannot be held responsible for an outside contractors business practices.

In theory SC could play lawsuit bingo and name everyone and their mother but it doesn't look like that's the way Kurt is operating.

In some of the states, they HAVE named the venue, also, for contributory or vicarious or something or other other other. The KJ's settlement fee was $6500 and the venue's was $5000 which would be dropped if the KJ settled. That is why I asked. Anyway, my point was that this does't seem to be scaring any venues off from keeping karaoke, even if they are found to have hired pirates.

Rob,

Thanks for the defense (but I am a big boy and can take it:sqwink:)!

Eric,

Aren't you doing exactly what you are accussing me of doing?

While I say that CB and Stellar will be going to go after the same people hit by SC (and the precedent is already there), you are saying they won't!

So far Stellar has already released a (get right with us) settlement offer and from what I have heard CB isn't far behind on that, using those FACTS and rumblings, I don't think it is too far a stretch to reach an "educated" conculsion that I am much closer to the truth in my assumptions that you will ever be!

DJCC said:
:tomshorse:

Sorry,

:deadhorse:

Couldn't help myself

:yoDur:

I'll see your dead horse and raise ya a pot stir:
attachment.php

Steve my only problem with this all is that why wouldnt SC challenge at the original rate forcing the hand on the illegals to fess up what you and many of the old pros have paid for the same disc. In my opinion that would then put some out of business or diminish their libraries appropriately. They get to play on a lot smaller playing field than the ones who paid full boat per disc such as yourself and others. If I owned a full SC library like some having spent full price over the past 20 yrs I would be pissed off to no end. NOTE: I dont have any SC discs unless you mean Supercore.

jokerswild said:
....If folks are hoping that the SC suits are going to put their competition out of business so that they can scoop up the clubs they left behind I think those individuals are putting a lot of missplaced dreams in the hands of a single corporation.

Yup...

jokerswild said:
"SC is not out to extinguish piracy they are just after what should have been theirs in the beginning."

For all your bluster you say the exact same things that myself and Steve have been saying all along.

YOU maybe, Rob. As for the "hot air" comment, I'm thinking there's more than one source (not you), but that's just extemely humble opinion..:sqlaugh::sqrolleyes:

Jon Tuck said:
Steve my only problem with this all is that why wouldnt SC challenge at the original rate forcing the hand on the illegals to fess up what you and many of the old pros have paid for the same disc. In my opinion that would then put some out of business or diminish their libraries appropriately. They get to play on a lot smaller playing field than the ones who paid full boat per disc such as yourself and others. If I owned a full SC library like some having spent full price over the past 20 yrs I would be pissed off to no end. NOTE: I dont have any SC discs unless you mean Supercore.

Jon,

Check what is available in the Sound Choice library divide that into the settlement figure and see what you come up with! then compare that to the street price of Sound Choice disc, I think you will be suprised as to what you find!

While a couple of people on here keep harping about Sound Choice letting the pirates become legit for pennies on the dollar it simply isn't true! I guess I am lucky because they taught readin writin and rithmatic in grade school when I was a kid!:sqlaugh:

Another thing about the settlement issue is that I have many legit disc and songs in my library that are no longer available to the pirates who settle, and that is a distinct advantage to me and other legit KJs who have been in the business for some time and made regular and smart purchases!

Another point that I would like to make is that Sound Choice offered one heck of a deal not to long ago which I took advantage of and any half intellegent KJ working today would have and should have as well! I filled in some major holes in my library and replaced missing and broken disc at less than $10 each! That deal was available to everyone legit or pirate for a short period of time and any pirate could have had the entire Sound Choice Spotlight, Foundations 1 & 2 and all five bricks for half what the settlement offer is! I announced that deal right here on this board! If I had had the money I would have put another complete SC collection together at that time, but alas my wife wouldn't allow me the chance to spend the money for that. Even so I greatly expanded my library and have an almost complete collection of Sound Choice and the cost was just $1000 to do that, for $3000 more I could have had another complete collection!

Now everyone follow along with me and maybe I can help you understand!

1+1=2, 2+2=4, 2+3=5, 2+4=6..................................... :sqlaugh:

I am starting a karaoke company in a competitive market in the next few weeks. I had worked for one of the karaoke companies that were named in the state wide lawsuits. I was very upset when it came to light that the tens of thousands of dollars that i had paid my boss the last few years, was not used on purchasing karaoke music. It was used for his own personal lifestyle. I have purchased 3 sets of sound choice foundation 1 & 2 packs with 3 sets of bricks 1-5, 3 sets of chartbuster essential vol 1-10, 3 sets the last two years of chartbuster 100 pop & country, & 3 sets of the 2010 pop hits monthly up to this month. I am asking for some advice on what my next purchases should be to fill in loose ends, as this has been an overwhelming time sensitive venture. i still have about $3000 to spend on 3 sets of loose music. Please give me some input, as i will be David going up against Goliath.

itsaboy said:
There is a storm brewing in Miami. In the next couple weeks, the 30 show-a-week Miami Operator will be unprepared for its wrath.

Interesting...

First of all welcome to ODJT...

Second who are you and what storm do you speak of?

itsaboy said:
I am starting a karaoke company in a competitive market in the next few weeks. I had worked for one of the karaoke companies that were named in the state wide lawsuits. I was very upset when it came to light that the tens of thousands of dollars that i had paid my boss the last few years, was not used on purchasing karaoke music. It was used for his own personal lifestyle. I have purchased 3 sets of sound choice foundation 1 & 2 packs with 3 sets of bricks 1-5, 3 sets of chartbuster essential vol 1-10, 3 sets the last two years of chartbuster 100 pop & country, & 3 sets of the 2010 pop hits monthly up to this month. I am asking for some advice on what my next purchases should be to fill in loose ends, as this has been an overwhelming time sensitive venture. i still have about $3000 to spend on 3 sets of loose music. Please give me some input, as i will be David going up against Goliath.

You probably should start a new thread....

But anyway....I would say you have an awesome library. More than enough for a kickass, competitive show. I would spend that last $3000 on making yourself stand out from the other guys. Better sound...lights...etc. Analyze his deficiencies. What does he do or not do, that you can improve upon?

Bazza said:
You probably should start a new thread....

But anyway....I would say you have an awesome library. More than enough for a kickass, competitive show. I would spend that last $3000 on making yourself stand out from the other guys. Better sound...lights...etc. Analyze his deficiencies. What does he do or not do, that you can improve upon?

And you seriously answered this person because ..................?:sqconfused:

Thunder said:
Another thing about the settlement issue is that I have many legit disc and songs in my library that are no longer available to the pirates who settle, and that is a distinct advantage to me and other legit KJs who have been in the business for some time and made regular and smart purchases!:

Now THAT'S funny as hell. The reason that these songs are no longer available to the pirates is because they were never LICENSED to be reproduced- SC PIRATED them. ....And THAT's your advantage? Hello, POT.

DJ Auntie M said:
And you seriously answered this person because ..................?:sqconfused:

Because he asked!

Itsaboy,

Seriously look at getting a subscription to Pop Hits Monthly!

Thunder said:
Joe,

But I have them!:sqwink:

Because you have them doesn't mean that SC had the rights to sell them to you. :sqerr:

:violent1: :tomshorse: :deadhorse:

Back