What's new

Packing...

Have a wonderful trip!!

enjoy your trip!! are you going to be able to sleep tonight?

Have a wonderful trip!!

Thank you!

enjoy your trip!! are you going to be able to sleep tonight?

Thank you! I usually stay up until 3 or 4 in the morning, so considering that we are leaving at 6:45, I think I will just stay up. It's a 12 hour time difference, so it will be better if I wait and sleep on the flight from DC to Beijing. I did just take a nap though.

maybe that will make you more likely to sleep on the long flight?

Have you done any reading about the areas in Mongolia you're visiting? I mean, separate from what your sister has discussed?

maybe that will make you more likely to sleep on the long flight?

Have you done any reading about the areas in Mongolia you're visiting? I mean, separate from what your sister has discussed?

Yes, I hope I will be able to sleep on the long flight. I read what is in the Lonely Planet guidebook that I have.

kewl. I'm looking forward to pics and stories. Hopefully NOT the kind of stories where you get detained by security, but the good ones where you love holding your niece and find new and exciting places.

How long is your sister going to be in Mongolia? Do you think you'll visit her another time, or is this pretty much it?

Wishing you a safe and fun trip!
I'm just seeing this now, and realize you are leaving in the AM, but I've done a bit of International travel (although, never to China or Mongolia), and have some "must take" items I didn't see on your list.

1. Vicks Vapor Rub.
(Sounds CRAZY, but sometimes bathrooms abroad are NASTY HORRID smelling..vomit inducing even, and a little bit of vicks under the nose does the trick.)
2. Travel Packs of Kleenex..to also use as toilet paper while not in a hotel. (..again, nasty horrid bathrooms will not have any TP)
3. Photocopies of Passports, but ALSO the front and backs of all your credit cards.
4. Both VISA credit card and Master Card. Some places abroad will only accept one or the other, or possibly neither.
5. BE SURE you call your credit card companies before you leave, to tell them of your travel dates and destinations. If they see charges abroad, they may shut down your card again fraud protection..and there you are, in a foreign country without a credit card.
6. US Currency, in small bills, in PRISTINE condition. If they are wrinkled, or bent, a currency exchange kiosk may not take them. Also, small bills, because they don't make change.
7. I always stuff an extra soft bag into my purse. Something like a reusable shopping bag. What I have found is that once I get myself comfy on the plane, when it is time to get off, I can never get everything back into my original bag. So, I shove what I can into my original bag, and the extra's into my reusable bag..then once I get off the plane I can re-arrange my things.
8. I also dress in 2 or 3 layers when traveling. Tank top or t-shirt, then a long sleeved shirt or sweater/jacket. Before take off and for the first hour on the plane it is usually very hot and dry..but later in the flight, it gets quite cold, especially if you are near an exit.
9. I always carry with me a few travel packs of wet wipes or baby wipes to wash/wipe hands, or to use at TP if the job calls for it. :)
10. Easy access to an ink pen, or two, or three. You'll have to fill out customs forms during your flight(s).
11. Last piece of advise...once you are past security..buy a few bottles of water to take with you onboard. Air travel can cause dehydration, and if you are traveling in coach, it can take the flight attendants a long time to get to you. Also, if you are unexpectedly delayed and stuck on board..you will have provisions (maybe a small snack too.) Unfortunately, I've experienced this several times.

Again, wishing you a safe and fun trip!

kewl. I'm looking forward to pics and stories. Hopefully NOT the kind of stories where you get detained by security, but the good ones where you love holding your niece and find new and exciting places.

How long is your sister going to be in Mongolia? Do you think you'll visit her another time, or is this pretty much it?

They've been there a year and a half, and they will be there until at least December. They plan on signing up for another year if they are asked (which they should be). I'm not sure if any of us will ever make it back there. Tickets were about $1900 each, so it's a very expensive trip.

Wishing you a safe and fun trip!
I'm just seeing this now, and realize you are leaving in the AM, but I've done a bit of International travel (although, never to China or Mongolia), and have some "must take" items I didn't see on your list.

1. Vicks Vapor Rub.
(Sounds CRAZY, but sometimes bathrooms abroad are NASTY HORRID smelling..vomit inducing even, and a little bit of vicks under the nose does the trick.)
2. Travel Packs of Kleenex..to also use as toilet paper while not in a hotel. (..again, nasty horrid bathrooms will not have any TP)
3. Photocopies of Passports, but ALSO the front and backs of all your credit cards.
4. Both VISA credit card and Master Card. Some places abroad will only accept one or the other, or possibly neither.
5. BE SURE you call your credit card companies before you leave, to tell them of your travel dates and destinations. If they see charges abroad, they may shut down your card again fraud protection..and there you are, in a foreign country without a credit card.
6. US Currency, in small bills, in PRISTINE condition. If they are wrinkled, or bent, a currency exchange kiosk may not take them. Also, small bills, because they don't make change.
7. I always stuff an extra soft bag into my purse. Something like a reusable shopping bag. What I have found is that once I get myself comfy on the plane, when it is time to get off, I can never get everything back into my original bag. So, I shove what I can into my original bag, and the extra's into my reusable bag..then once I get off the plane I can re-arrange my things.
8. I also dress in 2 or 3 layers when traveling. Tank top or t-shirt, then a long sleeved shirt or sweater/jacket. Before take off and for the first hour on the plane it is usually very hot and dry..but later in the flight, it gets quite cold, especially if you are near an exit.
9. I always carry with me a few travel packs of wet wipes or baby wipes to wash/wipe hands, or to use at TP if the job calls for it. :)
10. Easy access to an ink pen, or two, or three. You'll have to fill out customs forms during your flight(s).
11. Last piece of advise...once you are past security..buy a few bottles of water to take with you onboard. Air travel can cause dehydration, and if you are traveling in coach, it can take the flight attendants a long time to get to you. Also, if you are unexpectedly delayed and stuck on board..you will have provisions (maybe a small snack too.) Unfortunately, I've experienced this several times.

Again, wishing you a safe and fun trip!

Thanks for all the advice!

I know that you have already left, but praying for uneventful and safe travels for today's long haul and each leg of your journey!

Back