What's new

Post your desktop

Show us your desktop!

Here's my current desktop. I'm into elephants lately so I'm using a slide show with pictures from Wikipedia.

View attachment 3997

Attachments

• desktop.jpg
    desktop.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 14
^Nice. I like KDE's styling but never really dived into it because Gnome receives better support on Ubuntu for the most part.. Maybe it's time to fire up a Kubuntu VM. ;)

^Nice. I like KDE's styling but never really dived into it because Gnome receives better support on Ubuntu for the most part.. Maybe it's time to fire up a Kubuntu VM. ;)

Yeah, give it a go, one of these days! :)

KDE 4.5.5 seems to be pretty stable. So far, no crashes. :)

(could be the Fedora effect, however; try Fedora if Kubuntu is too unstable! ;) )

I'm downloading the Kubuntu torrent now.. I've played with Fedora a few times but Yum is always ridiculously slow for me.

I'm downloading the Kubuntu torrent now.. I've played with Fedora a few times but Yum is always ridiculously slow for me.

No patience, young people these days! ;)

Don't use torrents ... they're like boxes of chocolates, you never know what you get! ;) (unless you have a hash from the original site)
Always use the original site for download (Fedora / Kubuntu ) , this way you can avoid malware versions that someone might've come up with on BitTorrent.

What's the problem with Yum? In the software sources settings, you can choose a different server, at least after installation (not sure if you can choose a mirror during installation).

If you use VirtualBox with ext4 filing system, be sure to enable the IO-APIC option before installation, or the file system will be corrupted. (p.s. also the reason for speed problems)

I grabbed the torrent off Kubuntu's site. I always grab the torrent for *buntu projects as it's less bandwidth on Cantonical's servers.

Yeah, I'd thought about looking for a different mirror with Yum but didn't really look into. You know us youngin's with no patience and all. :D

Will check out the IO-APIC dealio could that be why Windows 7 keeps triggering chkdsk on boot after I create a new VM?

Will check out the IO-APIC dealio could that be why Windows 7 keeps triggering chkdsk on boot after I create a new VM?

Yup ... for Win7, IO-APIC option should be set as well (BEFORE installation). There's a number of settings that make sense for Windows, usually if you choose Windows during VM creation, those are already set. CHKDSK might also come up b/c the machine hasn't been shutdown properly (either use the menu to generate the power off ACPI event, or shut down using the Windows Start menu).

If you haven't yet, update VirtualBox, the more recent versions will display a warning on some settings.

I'm running Vista x32 with a black desktop and a mess of weird files I'd rather not disclose on my desktop.

Maybe I'll clean it up and show it.

I've always favored Windowmaker for the usability of it. KDE and gnome seem very bloated. Like, "Why don't I just run Microsoft ontop of my Linux OS?" Take two steps back to take one step forward.

I've always favored Windowmaker for the usability of it. KDE and gnome seem very bloated. Like, "Why don't I just run Microsoft ontop of my Linux OS?" Take two steps back to take one step forward.

WindowMaker is awesome, I like the ability to drop icons into docks ... I also liked the original CDE (which these days is only available on AIX and Solaris anymore) which allowed to drop icons into menus. XFCE claims it's based on CDE, but it lacks that feature (drop works only in a special menu editor).

KDE and GNOME have been reducing some bloat over the years ... and they're using hardware accelerated graphics now if available, so they're much more responsive than they used to be.

On Linux, you can still run WindowMaker if you want to, or any other window manager that you like. Nowadays, there's enough file managers to choose from. (like Thunar from the XFCE project which is pretty good).

XFCE has been created as a light-weight alternative to GNOME, and it does have a bit of CDE feel to it (w/o the constraints). CDE is script-based, and XFCE isn't, which simplifies things greatly.

There's an even more extreme light-weight desktop called LXDE which calls itself "so easy your grandma can use it". But last time I checked, it was a work in progress, perhaps they progressed a bit since then.

If you like the classic desktops of Windows 95 and OS/2, you can also use ICEWM, which is very primitive and comes with hundreds of skins (look&feel options).

I like GNOME and KDE ... especially the feature to drop folders into the folder bar in any browser window. This makes it possible to access frequently used folders more quickly.

On slower machines, XFCE is a good choice. But WindowMaker is also pretty good. Both run on pretty low-spec gear.

GNOME is based on CORBA but that is apparently rarely used ... on OS/2, there've been templates which made instance creation very simple. Only few GNOME applications provide that feature.

---------- Post added at 07:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:55 AM ----------

I'm back to GNOME ... can't find a weather plasmoid for KDE that works ... :-/

Monster, you sound like you know a lot about X.

Thank you! :)

Indeed, I've been using X a lot in the past 12-15 years.

In the 1980ies, I read a lot of articles about UNIX, namely that UNIX would die ... but it didn't. I used various UNIX and GNU program ports on the Amiga in the 80ies and early 90ies, and I saw a port of X in 1995 (not sure if it was on Linux or on an Amiga), and I became interested in it. In 1996, I installed my first version of Linux (which was a SuSE 2.0.32) and tried to develop on it. Back then, it seemed pretty bug-ridden to me, so I gave it up after a couple of weeks. In 1999, I began developing on AIX 4.2 for my employer, and later on on Solaris 7 and 8. After 2004, I began experimenting with various types of UNIX b/c I began to hate MS Windows. I've been developing on Linux professionally in 2004-2005, and again in 2010 till today. Over the years, I've used and developed on AIX, Solaris, Linux, FreeBSD and OpenBSD. I also have a little experience with HP-UX and MacOS X.

I'm not very familiar with X programming in general (I tried using Xlib and Motif/Lesstif and GNUStep, but few people use that anymore; I also experimented with wxWidgets/wxWindows and Perl/Tk), finally last year I wrote my first real-world GTK+ application and began to like it. :)

Back