Active Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
Interested in how other people's desktop looks like :p

Heres mine:
untitled.jpg

snapshot2.png

(click to enlarge)

This is KDE 4.8.4 running on Fedora 17. :)

How are you liking 12.04? I'm running it full time on my netbook. I use Gnome Fallback -- cannot stand unity.

Somehow I like the Unity desktop. The menu bar at the top reminds me of the Amiga menu bar. And the dock is similar to a MacOS X dock, but its function was clear to me after a short time.

However, I can't run the 3D desktop if I also want to run games, it's consuming too many resources on my machine (a dual-core / logical quad-core Atom CPU with NVidia ION chipset). With the 2D desktop, resource hungry 3D games are no problem, however.

What I really enjoy about Ubuntu 12.04 is the new Software Center, it can install pay applications, like games, for instance. I recently bought some for it (Super Meat Boy, Bastion and Braid). Especially Super Meat Boy and Braid run extremely well, and Bastion runs okay, but it's written in .NET so there's a reason (the Atom CPU has weak caches and thus doesn't perform too well). ;)

I also like that with Unity, I have plenty of screen space. And changing the screen resolution with the NVidia control panel app is no problem.

Somehow I like the Unity desktop. The menu bar at the top reminds me of the Amiga menu bar. And the dock is similar to a MacOS X dock, but its function was clear to me after a short time.

However, I can't run the 3D desktop if I also want to run games, it's consuming too many resources on my machine (a dual-core / logical quad-core Atom CPU with NVidia ION chipset). With the 2D desktop, resource hungry 3D games are no problem, however.

What I really enjoy about Ubuntu 12.04 is the new Software Center, it can install pay applications, like games, for instance. I recently bought some for it (Super Meat Boy, Bastion and Braid). Especially Super Meat Boy and Braid run extremely well, and Bastion runs okay, but it's written in .NET so there's a reason (the Atom CPU has weak caches and thus doesn't perform too well). ;)

I also like that with Unity, I have plenty of screen space. And changing the screen resolution with the NVidia control panel app is no problem.
I ran Ubuntu for a bit as dual boot on my main desktop with two screens. I must say I was very impressed with how easy it was to install the ATI drivers and get both screens running at the correct resolution and all.

If Unity was more useful I'd be more apt to use it. Something as simple as the weather applet for Gnome Panel really makes me miss regular old Gnome.

If Unity was more useful I'd be more apt to use it. Something as simple as the weather applet for Gnome Panel really makes me miss regular old Gnome.

:D Actually, the weather applet still exists, except it is now called "weather indicator" and must be installed from the Software Center:

View attachment 5279

View attachment 5280

The new weather indicator is also much more powerful than the old GNOME 2 applet.

It seems that on Unity, the panel applets have all to be installed from Software Center, b/c there's no panel properties anymore.

I also love the weather indicator, I cannot imagine a desktop without it as well. :D

Attachments

• weather-indicator-1.jpg
    weather-indicator-1.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 25
  • weather-indicator-2.jpg
    weather-indicator-2.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 24
Nope, but I thought it was a really nice shot of a Ram. I'm partial to short box regular cabs in plainer trims. I would love having that truck though!

Nope, but I thought it was a really nice shot of a Ram. I'm partial to short box regular cabs in plainer trims. I would love having that truck though!
I'm a big guy and my friend had a 1999 or 2000 RAM 1500. It was the first vechile I ever drove that was 100% comfortable for me. Even my Cadilliac was a little uncomfortable height-wise. One of these days I'm gonna get me a 1500. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back