What's new

Sanitizing Microphones

How Do You Clean/Disinfect Your Microphones?

• I replace the foam filters/covers when they start smelling or looking yucky!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I use a sanitizing spray such as Lysol etc.

• I wash the foam filters/covers.

• I do not use foam filters/covers so I just use a disinfectant wipe/spray on the windscreens.

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

ahoustondj

Active Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
Sanitizing Microphones?
How do you sanitize your microphones (The singers and yours)? See Poll.

I also use alcohol pads that you "peel open" and use to wipe the wire housing and the handle. I sometimes forget.

I do wash the screen and foam and dry with hair dryer.

I use those Lysol wipes.
I wipe down the screen after every singer.
It only takes seconds.

I replace foam pop stoppers. I buy the Shure brand ones they sound better and hold up better. I replace them once every 6 months. I replace the ball once a year which replaces the inside the ball foam.

I clean the microphones and windscreens nightly with a product called Pro-Tech made by Central Solutions, Inc. It's a hospital grade cleaner that kills just about everything.

Here is the MSDS for it.
http://www.centralsolutions.com/msds_new_central/pro_tech.pdf

Doesn't look like they make it any more, I still have 9 bottles left.

The foam covers get washed after every show. However, DURING the show I have 360 deg. UV sleeves, and also keep a mini- Lysol spray handy ( though more for stink breath singers than disinfecting). I'm kinda anal about it because a sick singer is a singer that stays home.......:sqwink:

It's funny... I can't remember the last time I was at another hosts show and seen him or her use any sort of sanitizer either before, durring, or even after a show.... so I seriously doubt they ever do.

Why are we so anal about it if no one else is?

jokerswild said:
It's funny... I can't remember the last time I was at another hosts show and seen him or her use any sort of sanitizer either before, durring, or even after a show.... so I seriously doubt they ever do.

Why are we so anal about it if no one else is?

I am so anal about it that I won't allow anyone to use my personal mic at a show or in the studio! But that is a personal issue for me!

Personally I think there is a comfort zone that needs to be met for singers that are not totally drunk! No one likes to use a mic that the wind screen stinks on or is wet from breath or lips (which is why I change them out through out the night).
Also when the patrons at a show see you spay a little disinfectant on the mics from time to time it shows them that you really do care! (I always make an annoucement that I am not spraying the mics because of any particular person but as a precaution for the saftey of everyone, and I leave it out for anyone to use)

I also keep a little sqeeze bottle of the alcohol hand sanitizer with me to use from time to time (for when people insist on shaking my hand)!

Thunder said:
I am so anal about it that I won't allow anyone to use my personal mic at a show or in the studio! But that is a personal issue for me!

Personally I think there is a comfort zone that needs to be met for singers that are not totally drunk! No one likes to use a mic that the wind screen stinks on or is wet from breath or lips (which is why I change them out through out the night).
Also when the patrons at a show see you spay a little disinfectant on the mics from time to time it shows them that you really do care! (I always make an annoucement that I am not spraying the mics because of any particular person but as a precaution for the saftey of everyone, and I leave it out for anyone to use)

I also keep a little sqeeze bottle of the alcohol hand sanitizer with me to use from time to time (for when people insist on shaking my hand)!

Thank you Mr Monk....:sqwink::sqlaugh:

jokerswild said:
Thank you Mr Monk....:sqwink::sqlaugh:

I ain't that bad!:sqlaugh:

I just can't afford to be sick! I am diabetic and don't need the issues that come along with it!

And I can't tell you how many times I have seen people use the bathroom in a bar or club and never stop to wash their hands! Ladies I have seen you come out with dry hands too!

Thunder said:
Ladies I have seen you come out with dry hands too!

Thats because some people have learned not to pee on their hands! :rofl::sqlaugh::rofl:

ahoustondj said:
Thats because some people have learned not to pee on their hands! :rofl::sqlaugh::rofl:

I wasn't concerned with the pee, it is the wipe that bothers me!:sqerr:

Thunder said:
I wasn't concerned with the pee, it is the wipe that bothers me!:sqerr:

Well as long as they don't wipe either thats all good!:rofl:

Thunder said:
I just can't afford to be sick! !

Maybe you need health care.:sqlaugh::sqwink:

I'm with you Thunder, nobody uses my mic but me. I don't do karaoke (I have on occasion) but even at weddings, I have my own personal mic. I generally spray my mics down with Lysol after each event and keep my hand sanitizer in my DJ bag for those non-washers. Some people are pretty disgusting when it comes to personal hygiene.

young...

I'm not really picky about it, but I don't use them.

That being said, if somebody says they have a cold or something, I do remove the ball and put a different one on, and that one goes into a dirty ball bag to be dipped in alcohol and set aside to dry for a set or so before I put it back in the clean ball bag again. I keep about 6 or 7 balls on hand usually for my shure mics, which is what gets used 99% of the time.

I keep wipes on hand, if the vocalist wants to wipe it down before their set, then they are welcome to grab one.

I don't sing or any of that crazy wannabe idol stuff, but try StarSan.

I use it when I brew, and it kills everything in a few seconds, and dries quick. You can make up a batch mixed with water, and put it in a spray bottle -- it lasts quite a long time.

BTW, don't drink it... ;)

I use a paper towel to wipe the alcohol off the mics during the night. while packing up I use an alcohol wipe before putting them away. I replace the wind screens every year, and everybody thinks I went out and bought new mics because the dents from being dropped are gone.

I have MY mic hooked to a 3 foot mic cord so nobody else can use it.

DJ Young said:
Maybe you need health care.:sqlaugh::sqwink:

young...

I have the best health care in the world...... I take care of my own health!:sqwink:

I don't need a nanny to do it for me!:sqlaugh::sqlaugh:

Thunder said:
1) I am so anal about it that I won't allow anyone to use my personal mic at a show or in the studio! But that is a personal issue for me!

2) I also keep a little sqeeze bottle of the alcohol hand sanitizer with me to use from time to time (for when people insist on shaking my hand)!

1) I think you'll find that must of us are the same way on the personal mic use.

2) I do the same, and have gotten into the habit of using Yankee Candle or Bodywork scented sanitizers ( Ya gotta try MacIntosh Apple from Yankee Candle- wow!) because the make both me and the immediate area smell nice..:sqwink:

I'm totally amazed you folks don't know about Star San... :sqconfused:

Alcohol sanitizers are basically worthless, IMHO. I'd use H2O2 before alcohol.

Rick, if it makes you happy I use a lot of clorox around the house LOL!

Just a note here for anyone who thinks Rick is serious about using Star San on microphones, this stuff is a highly corrosive acid and what ever it is used on has to be flushed and scrubbed with clean water after it is applied when used on certain metals it will put off highly explosive hydrogen gas, if it comes in contact with clorine you are dead!

Back