What's new

Should our phone calls be recorded?

lauren

Chief Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
Peak Coin
Do you think it's right for our phone calls to be monitored to catch criminals? or is it an invasion of privacy?

I don't really talk to people on the phone, and when I do it's pretty much just basic questions that wouldn't be anywhere near private. With that, I couldn't care less if they listened in, to catch criminals or through interest, cause it would just bore them. ;)

I'm pretty sure any major criminals wouldn't be stupid enough to say their plans over the phone or make it too drastically obvious, so they're actually going to catch fewer criminals by wasting their time listening in on calls if you think about staffing it, etc.

How many people are on the phone every second?
How many calls would you have missed, while skipping through innocent calls, that could have been criminals?
How many criminals would get more ability to commit crimes if the lines were staffed correctly?

Sooo many questions. ;)

I myself don't phone people very much but when I do it's usually just to tell them something that's upset me. I wouldn't mind tbh, but other people have different opinions.

I'm the same. Have nothing to hide? Then why do you worry? I mean I understand, telling Cheyenne that Rita is pregnant can be very personal, or sharing your deep secrets. But they're not going to blog about it, this isn't Gossip Girl. I do think however that everyone shouldn't be forced into it, you can't just give the government THAT much power. It's ridiculous.

Maybe a system where calls are temporarily recorded and if any reports are made about the individual to do with terrorism or so, they can check them? That'd be more understandable, but I still think it's against privacy and stuff. Gives the government more power than they need.

I do think however that everyone shouldn't be forced into it, you can't just give the government THAT much power. It's ridiculous.

"Hi, government? I'd like to opt out of you listening to and recording my phonecalls. I'm not a terrorist, honest."

Invasion of privacy, really. I mean, I suppose it's fair game in a way because obviously to catch criminals they have to find ways of finding, and recording/monitoring phone calls is a viable and reliable option, but really I think it's unnecessary to monitor EVERYONE's conversations.

If you have reason to suspect someone, go and check 'em out by all means, but I don't want you listening to my saucy conversation with the misses.

"Hi, government? I'd like to opt out of you listening to and recording my phonecalls. I'm not a terrorist, honest."

Haha no I don't mean they should make exceptions for people I meant I don't think it should happen at all for that reason.

Back