What's new

someone please. just shoot me in the ****ing head.

let's recap where we are:

Originally Posted by mark
lawyers?

you mean the people who make sure that the government doesn't trample over EVERYONE'S rights?

Correction:

EVERYONE's who has enough money to pay our exorbitant hourly fees rights

i made no distinction between Private vs Public. am i mistaken that there are MORE Private than Public attorneys? as far as i know, the Public are paid salaries, not based on "billable hours"

basically, i was TRYING to say: MOST of the poor people just get their rights trampled on. the rich hire the expensive lawyers, who have judges in their pockets, and can influence juries, more than the PDs or lawyers who specialize in defending the rights of the poor (the ACLU for example).

i could have it all wrong tho...

let's recap where we are:

Originally Posted by mark
lawyers?

you mean the people who make sure that the government doesn't trample over EVERYONE'S rights?

Correction:

EVERYONE's who has enough money to pay our exorbitant hourly fees rights

i made no distinction between Private vs Public. am i mistaken that there are MORE Private than Public attorneys? as far as i know, the Public are paid salaries, not based on "billable hours"

basically, i was TRYING to say: MOST of the poor people just get their rights trampled on. the rich hire the expensive lawyers, who have judges in their pockets, and can influence juries, more than the PDs or lawyers who specialize in defending the rights of the poor (the ACLU for example).

i could have it all wrong tho...

in most cases -- PD's are paid salaries. I know here in NYS there is a system whereby court-appointed attorneys are paid at an hourly rate (its much lower than what a comparable private attorney charges though)

I think the problem isn't so much the quality of the attorney -- as some excellent attorneys choose to be public defenders or DA's -- its more akin to the problem any civil servant has -- too many clients and not enough time.

If the PD's could spend as much time on a case as a private defense attorney could, I'm sure that the level of representation would be much higher.

I also think you are overestimating the influence lawyers have on judges - especially at the federal level -- this isn't television. Of course, I'm not a trial lawyer, so *I* could be dead wrong.

from the Princeton Review:

The salary at a state agency is generally commensurate with that at the district attorney's office, although in some jurisdictions a public defender can make much less. Salaries in the $40,000 range are common in big cities, although lawyers with more litigation experience enjoy a higher starting salary. Appellate defenders at the state level will make about as much as their trial counterparts. Federal public defenders make salaries similar to those of the U.S. attorneys in their area. This can be as much as a $70,000 starting salary in New York or as low as $45,000 elsewhere.

if we didn't handcuff everyone here, someone that got handcuffed would scream that their civil rights were violated. i can pretty much guarantee you that that is how the handcuff everyone law came about.

The thing is that you don't actually have any civil rights, handcuffing it's just a sign of that.... but we'd better not get into that.

I wonder whatever happened to dane?

And now they are both in the pokey.

They would never take diddy alive

And now they are both in the pokey.

I like diddy, but if she went down there flipped out and got herself arrested, well that would be funny

laughing and pointing is one of my favorite hobbies.

I like diddy, but if she went down there flipped out and got herself arrested, well that would be funny

that is exactly what I fully expected to occur...;)

I wonder if she wore either her fairy costume or pink Packers jersey to look tougher ^_^

that would work really well as a distraction, while her cohorts helped with the actual jailbreak.

they pulled him over to see if he had orange cones and a fire extinguisher in his vehicle because it is a company work truck. they had the extinguisher but no cones. stupid ****ing cops. Ive never heard of anything like that at all.

they arrested him for a missed court date... that was THEIR mistake. they accidently put him down for court two times in one day.. he was supposed to be there at 9:00 AM and they also had him down for 10:30.. he made the 9 AM appearance, and then they put out a warrant when he wasnt there at 10:30.. even though it was their mistake and he wasnt SUPPOSED to be there.

:/

and I have a 98 dollar obstructing justice fine for telling the cop exactly what she could do with her orange cones. :)

that would work really well as a distraction, while her cohorts helped with the actual jailbreak.

I bet if she showed up with a couple dozen donuts and scattered them around the station - THAT would be even a BETTER distraction

Back