What's new

The last vendor standing

Gotta go with Rick on this one. We have our share of karaoke bars right now and there are listings on the web but the listings are getting outdated because the shows are closing.

"Some" shows don't advertise. Especially small bars that are doing low budget karaoke just for the people in the immediate neighborhood who show up anyway. Wouldn't want ASCAP et al coming round, you know......

However, I don't doubt your assessment of your area. I don't doubt my assessment of my area as I am actually there. California is doing great on karaoke. Pacific Northwest is glutted.

While I believe karaoke is in a downturn, recession if you will, in some area's. Like it or not this has always been the way karaoke is.... it's allways been a rollercoaster of popularity..... while it might be on a downturn now.... give it a year or two and I bet you see a surge in popularity again.

Most people don't go to karaoke shows because they want to be discovered or anything like that.... it's an escape from the everyday and a chance to shine at least in front of a few friends.... and above all else to have fun.

The reason that NY doesn't have very much karaoke is that it is the #1 state loosing population. Since 2000 the average rate of decline is 182,886 people leaving a year.

Lone Wolf said:
The reason that NY doesn't have very much karaoke is that it is the #1 state loosing population. Since 2000 the average rate of decline is 182,886 people leaving a year.

Those are the crack babies, being adopted by Madonna and friends... :sqlaugh: :rofl:

c. staley said:
DEMOTIV.jpg
Would make a great t shirt.

SoftJock Rick said:
Steve,

Sometimes I think you live in a bubble down there. There's like 15 million people within an hour of me, and karaoke is dead in the water -- has been for some time.
:

That's probably because I no longer host in your area :sqcool: . I get a full boat every night I work, with the exception of July and August Saturdays. Still good, but a good bunch head for the shore then- and come back to rock my world in September...

Actually, now that I think about it- Orangeburg, Nyack, Pearl River, and Piermont have some ROCKIN' shows. Also, my shows in NJ are still within an hour of you.

You are in error, my NY bud....

jokerswild said:
While I believe karaoke is in a downturn, recession if you will, in some area's. Like it or not this has always been the way karaoke is.... it's allways been a rollercoaster of popularity..... while it might be on a downturn now.... give it a year or two and I bet you see a surge in popularity again.

Most people don't go to karaoke shows because they want to be discovered or anything like that.... it's an escape from the everyday and a chance to shine at least in front of a few friends.... and above all else to have fun.

Agreed. The cycle is thus: A few really good shows get very popular. Then they get OVER-popular- too many singers and a long rotational wait. Then the wannabes see this and start their own shows. Some are ok, but then there is a glut that includes some truly awful shows, which does a number on popularity. The crappy shows start to disappear. Less and less shows. The good shows hang in. The cycle starts over again....

SoftJock Rick said:
Steve,

Sometimes I think you live in a bubble down there. There's like 15 million people within an hour of me, and karaoke is dead in the water -- has been for some time.

As far as I know, there are no Baja Beans in our area, and Applebee's serves food -- not entertainment. We actually have clubs in our areas. They have bands -- hundreds of people go to see the bands, dance and drink.

I scoured the local club calendars for this season, and I can't find a single karaoke show. I could probably go out to Gail's Place, and find a drunk singing to a handful of people...

Karaoke was big here back in the early 90's, then it died a slow death.

I realize that things happen on the right or left coast first, and then find their way to middle America a couple years later -- seems it took a few decades for this one to reach you hokeys... :rofl:

My brother's in Spotsy -- they just found out about ballroom dancing... :sqerr: :sqlaugh:

Must be genetic Rick because Ballroom dance clubs were all over the place all the way back to the 80's here including in Spotsylvania and surrounding counties!:sqlaugh:

Sorry Rick, I am right coast just 40 minutes from your brother!

Thunder said:
Sorry Rick

Why are you always saying yer sorry Steve...?

Some deep guilt about something...? ;)

BTW, how's the Bigfoot sightings down yer way this year? :sqlaugh: :rofl:

SoftJock Rick said:
Why are you always saying yer sorry Steve...?

Some deep guilt about something...? ;)

BTW, how's the Bigfoot sightings down yer way this year? :sqlaugh: :rofl:

I am always saying I am sorry that you are always wrong!:sqbiggrin:

I can't think of anytime anyone has even mentioned or a report of a Bigfoot in this area, I thought they were always seen in the New York state area!:sqlaugh:

Thunder said:
I am always saying I am sorry that you are always wrong!:sqbiggrin:

I can't think of anytime anyone has even mentioned or a report of a Bigfoot in this area, I thought they were always seen in the New York state area!:sqlaugh:

If I'm always wrong, why would you be sorry...? Shouldn't I be sorry, and apologize for being wrong?

So if yer apologizing, that would mean yer wrong, or maybe not right... :sqlaugh:

BTW, funny thing -- when I lived at my brother's house for awhile, my cat kept acting weird, and then I saw this thing. Anyway, when they came up last month, they brought the local rag, with this story...

http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2010/052010/05252010/550363

Well, I think you are both off track. Big Foot is in the Sierra Nevada and I know someone who not only saw him/her but was also abducted and studied by aliens. She showed me how if you looked at her face in a mirror, certain marks showed up where the aliens probed her. They looked like forceps scars to me but I didn't argue. Weird thing is, she was walking along the railroad tracks one day and she found a big grocery bag full of blow up alien toys. It could only have happened to her.

possumdog said:
Well, I think you are both off track. Big Foot is in the Sierra Nevada and I know someone who not only saw him/her but was also abducted and studied by aliens. She showed me how if you looked at her face in a mirror, certain marks showed up where the aliens probed her. They looked like forceps scars to me but I didn't argue. Weird thing is, she was walking along the railroad tracks one day and she found a big grocery bag full of blow up alien toys. It could only have happened to her.

You have apparently not read my 14,684 posts -- she's not the only one -- Jacob keeps reminding me of that... :sqerr:

I hope I haven't read all of your posts. But I fully expect you to study each of mine. Looking for clues........

possumdog said:
I hope I haven't read all of your posts. But I fully expect you to study each of mine. Looking for clues........

Yer not the only one that lives in a crater Mimi... :sqwink:

Our crater seems to extend up the road to this weird place called Woodstock. You might want to start your search, by checking with Rick and Levon, and see if they can tell you about Pepote Rouge, and what the heck Robbie meant... ;) :)

As to your tells -- I'll stick with my former gambler self. That gives me a 60-40 chance...

Oh, but OUR crater encompasses Burning Man. Unfortunately.

Wish I had money on myself.

By the way. You can't have a backyard full of hops and claim "crater" status. I'm talking moonscape here.

Back