What's new

Thoughts?

OK...can I ask a question? I always understood weaning to mean eventually there was an "end" to it. Do kids "pick it up and put it down" after they've been weaned? Like maybe only breastfeed once a month??

OK...can I ask a question? I always understood weaning to mean eventually there was an "end" to it. Do kids "pick it up and put it down" after they've been weaned? Like maybe only breastfeed once a month??

no weaning is slowly cutting down until finally your milk dries up, however I dont know the process I didnt nurse Shorty

So I was reading this Q&A with the mom on the cover and she said this about her adopted son "Being able to give him that [comfort] with the trauma that he faced was really, really important to me. But I didn’t realize how much it would help my attachment to him. When his English improved, because the connection was there, he didn’t do it as much. So now he’ll do it maybe once a month."

So I get that she seems to still be nursing her biological child so she still has milk, but is that a customary thing to just let the child nurse randomly like once a month?

Read more: http://healthland.time.com/2012/05/10/q-a-with-jamie-lynne-grumet/#ixzz1ucNVhiKM

If you only had one child you couldn't nurse just once a month, it doesn't take long at all for your milk to dry up. So not a usual case for one child.

I don't know how it works with 2 children, but there are mom's out there that are still nursing their first child when the second one comes along. From what I've read the first one self-weans when the colostrum starts (about week 36 of pregnancy) for the second one as it tastes bad to them. I suppose they could start up again when the real milk comes in (about 3-7 days after birth).

So...when do you think babies get teeth?

Exactly.
I refused to feed my baby in the bathroom stall for the same reason I would not eat in the bathroom stall.
Teeth - that was more or less a joke ( but come on full chops ) I BF both of my kids one for 9 months the other 6 , i went back to work sooner with the second . I don't know but would think at some point milk drys up ? And really to each his own , but that poor kid i think that's going to follow him throughout school ?

If you only had one child you couldn't nurse just once a month, it doesn't take long at all for your milk to dry up. So not a usual case for one child.

I don't know how it works with 2 children, but there are mom's out there that are still nursing their first child when the second one comes along. From what I've read the first one self-weans when the colostrum starts (about week 36 of pregnancy) for the second one as it tastes bad to them. I suppose they could start up again when the real milk comes in (about 3-7 days after birth).

If they are simply soothing I think they can get away with 2-3 weeks.
I was preggo with my DD1 when nursing DD2 (I figured out I was preggo because my milk just was not coming in as well) I nursed her until she stopped (I was probably about 6-7 months pregnant) it was the lack of milk that made her no longer interested, and once I introduced the cup, she liked the easy access to milk. She never showed interest again after her sister was born.

If they are simply soothing I think they can get away with 2-3 weeks.
I was preggo with my DD1 when nursing DD2 (I figured out I was preggo because my milk just was not coming in as well) I nursed her until she stopped (I was probably about 6-7 months pregnant) it was the lack of milk that made her no longer interested, and once I introduced the cup, she liked the easy access to milk. She never showed interest again after her sister was born.

same thing happened to me. We started giving dd1 a bottle and she was happy as can be. I'm sure there was a point where she was hungry alot, and we just thought she was fussy (didn't know i was pregnant yet)

So now he’ll do it maybe once a month."

As others have said only way this would work would be if she is nursing another. I have a friend who tandem nursed. She is a member here. Maybe she will chime in.

As they slow down it dries up. Most kids get too busy for BF and prefer the speed of sippy cups so they move on.

I think we have to be really careful when we start prescribing that everybody must do XYZ. Each family, each child, each relationship has more complexity than a one-size fits all world accomodates. I think most of us who have children can agree on this. You think you've got the world figured out until you realize the child you got doesn't always fit the ideas you had for how YOU would parent. It's baptism by fire because that child has some ideas and needs you never imagined.

It's easy to use a cover when a baby is young, sure. Pretty much impossible when they're old enough to be curious about the world and capable of ripping the cover away every time you attempt to use it... which either turns it into a fun game or a source of frustration for them. Either way, I won't win!

Even if the cover works with an older baby/toddler, it's not like people won't notice you're bfing them - of course they'll notice when a kid disappears. So why bother covering up, because you're taboo nursing past 1 year and they're already going to judge? I nurse in public when I have to, but facing constant waves of negativity, discouragement, even outright hostility from people around me... this includes doctors, friends, family... Normally I have a thick skin, but when I'm worn down from baby-care it gets to me, and I'll go hide to nurse in peace. Every time I do, I'm filled with sadness that it has to be this way.

"A collection of photos & art prints showing nursing mothers (many in public situations) to educate & inform people about the normalcy of breastfeeding in public. All photos & prints are publicly available through various libraries & repositories."

Historic Photos & Prints of Breastfeeding

Teeth - that was more or less a joke ( but come on full chops ) I BF both of my kids one for 9 months the other 6 , i went back to work sooner with the second . I don't know but would think at some point milk drys up ? And really to each his own , but that poor kid i think that's going to follow him throughout school ?

The thing is when you say things like that, it is like I said before a blanket statement. Some children have 8+ teeth by 9 months. And MANY people do believe the second a tooth shows up, you should stop.

I did not BF past 1 because I was too embarassed with DS15, got pregnant with DD1, when nursing DD2 and was working (so very very hard to do everything the LC encouraged for tandem nursing) and DD1 was just a busy kid...by the time she turned 1 she was only nursing to bed and that was because I offered. If she wanted to go past then I would have kept going and right now she is 19 months, 3 inches shy of 3 feet, talks in complete sentences, is starting to be potty trained, and obviosuly has teeth...If she wanted to continue, I would have continued.

I think the picture is for shock value. I think it accomplished what it is supposed to do...sale magazines and get people talking.

It is a shame in this country, you get more looks for nursing a toddler than you do for feeding the toddler McDonalds.

It is a shame in this country, you get more looks for nursing a toddler than you do for feeding the toddler McDonalds.

People thought I was nuts because DS never had McDonalds until after he turned 3, and it's still a very occasional thing. These same people thought I was crazy because DS rode rear-facing in his carseat until he was 3, and he would have stayed rear-facing longer if I hadn't needed to install his sister's carseat. He'll be riding in his 5-point harnessed booster until he's at least 6. Meanwhile his buddy across the street has been riding in a low-back booster for close to a year.

I so agree about the teeth thing. My little guy popped his first two teeth together at 3 mo 3 days. I think that was the number one sincere question I got from people: How can you do that (BF) when he has all those teeth?/Are you afraid he'll bite you. He teethed so early that he did have a mouthful by 9 mo. I always shared that they can't bite when they are nursing, just when they pull back and try to play with the nipple. And you certainly can discipline and teach them from day one that you aren't going to let that fly.

This whole thing about stopping because they have teeth is silly. People don't stop giving a bottle when they get teeth. Who stops feeding their child just because they have teeth?

This whole thing about stopping because they have teeth is silly. People don't stop giving a bottle when they get teeth. Who stops feeding their child just because they have teeth?
Again that was a joke :lol: / just got back from a party with some kids that are 3 years olds ..... yep think 3 yrs is to old to be BF

Back