What's new

Thrombocytopenia

No, never was able to. :pout:

I just left him a message with your contact info and asked him to have his wife call you. I meant to do this sooner, but I have been a space cadet lately with my mom's move taking up tons of my time.

I dunno - they just found out about this and let me know this morning. It was part of the extra testing done because of my increased BP.

I kind of went into zombie mode when he told me since I was shocked - I honestly thought they only did general anesthesia for emergency c-sections and how could I fit into those criteria since it wasn't an emergency.

So basically at the moment you are getting my full fledged freak out.

From the fast reading I've done in the majority of cases they do give platelets and then induce 3-4 days later for a vaginal delivery. I went for three opinions (before I knew of this complication) and none would allow me to have an induced VBAC. One wouldn't allow me to VBAC at all given my prior surgical procedures (myomectomy and c-section).

:huggy: :huggy: You have every right to freak out when something like this happens and your plan goes out the window.

We're all sending good vibes and prayers your way. You WILL get through this, and so will your baby :huggy:

I've never heard of it & I don't know of anyone who has had that, but wanted to chime in with support & a :huggy:.

Everything will be fine...it almost always is. :) I'm sorry you're going through all of this, but before you know it you'll be back home with your little one & Lex and all will be well.

I'm so sorry you have to make this difficult decision :huggy: Childbirth is stressful enough without having to deal with complications.
I trust and pray that God will guide you and the doctors to the one that results in a healthy baby and mama :huggy:

I know nothing about your particular issue, but my BFF had MANY MANY platelet transfusions during the course of treatment for her bone marrow disorder .... they always "took" and got her through to the next treatments.

If people are allowed to donate blood on your behalf, I'd be happy to do so (if I have the right kind of course)... I've been saving up :huggy:

Hey Clars - just got off the phone with Kris. She's coming over tomorrow. Thank you!

Prayers being said...for everyone to make the right decisions.

I don't have any input on that in particular except to say that because of her liver disease my mother has extremely low platelets....she's not even allowed to shave her legs in case she nicks herself. She gets platelets before they operate on her, it has gotten to the point where they give them to her just a couple of hours before surgery.

So maybe it is possible that you could get platelets beforehand if it is a scheduled C section?

:huggy: and prayers for you and the baby.

Thanks everyone for (once again) letting me vent.

I've been reading tons of web pages and realize that I'll just have to have a huge list of questions for the doc come next week.

Thanks everyone for (once again) letting me vent.

I've been reading tons of web pages and realize that I'll just have to have a huge list of questions for the doc come next week.

Is there anything the doc wants you to do in the mean time? Special diet or something?

Hang in there :huggy: Do you have anyone coming to help when baby arrives...........family perhaps?

Dang Barb - now you got me crying again.

I hate with a passion being stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I was talking with a friend tonight and she pretty much said the same thing. I do have another question that I don't even know where to being looking for the answer.

If I'm unconscious and the baby needs immediate (as in life threatening) medical attention do the doctors do what's best without my approval? What if it isn't immediate, but they need a decision and I'm still loopy? Who makes decisions then? Keep in mind that I have no family within the USA.

Have I mentioned yet that I already know the baby isn't 100 percent healthy and needs an ultrasound to determine what the problem is? May be very minor or not, they can't tell from the ultrasounds I've had thus far.

Yes they will do what they have to do for the baby without your approval. As I understand it they simply need 2 doctors to agree and they can proceed. :huggy:

I'm very worried about you and the added stress of all these new worries. This can't be good for your blood pressure. Is there ANYTHING we can do to help? Cook some meals? Something around the house? Anything? Please don't be shy. :huggy:

Dang Barb - now you got me crying again.

I hate with a passion being stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I was talking with a friend tonight and she pretty much said the same thing. I do have another question that I don't even know where to being looking for the answer.

If I'm unconscious and the baby needs immediate (as in life threatening) medical attention do the doctors do what's best without my approval? What if it isn't immediate, but they need a decision and I'm still loopy? Who makes decisions then? Keep in mind that I have no family within the USA.

Have I mentioned yet that I already know the baby isn't 100 percent healthy and needs an ultrasound to determine what the problem is? May be very minor or not, they can't tell from the ultrasounds I've had thus far.

You should sign a power of attorney health care proxy/advanced directive etc for you, Lex, & your new little one. Hospitals usually have you sign off in advance, that they may do whatever is necessary to safeguard lives, if you are not available to give consent at that later time.

I'm sure someone on here knows the law in IL, as the laws do vary by state.

You need to not only consider what is best for the new baby, but yourself, and Lex.

Yes they will do what they have to do for the baby without your approval. As I understand it they simply need 2 doctors to agree and they can proceed. :huggy:

I'm very worried about you and the added stress of all these new worries. This can't be good for your blood pressure. Is there ANYTHING we can do to help? Cook some meals? Something around the house? Anything? Please don't be shy. :huggy:

What she said. I am right down the street from you if you need anything. If you need to send Lex over so you can get a break, now and after the baby is born, he is welcome anytime. Please don't be too shy to ask, we would love to help you in any way we can.

:huggy:

:huggy:

Hang in there! I didn't even realize you were pregnant!!! :hides:

Back