What's new

(UPDATE)Questions regarding immunization for 6th grade....

aki

I went from a vegetable to a sausage
PF Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what immunization shots a child needs for 6th grade?

He is up to date on all his shots.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Questions regarding immunization for 6th grade....

Hepatitis

I would suggest against gardasil

Would that be it??? I was going to take DS to a clinic which would only cost $30. Just called and they only give TB and tetanus.

I don't want to take him there if he is supposed to get other immunization shots to start school. :surrender:

My dd starts 6th grade to this year, and she needed a tetanus booster and hepatitas shots. You would still need a physical done too.

My son only needed the chicken pox booster not the others mentioned above

They really push the gardasil one for boys now. According to my ped, the studies were only done on girls, so there really is no data on how it effects boys. I asked my ped what he would do and he said he would skip it or wait for data.

Their suggestions are just that. They suggest... I refused. One dose of chicken pox vaccine was enough, IMO. They suggested guardasil, I refused. the nurse attempted to give me more info. Most is for the girls. I explained when the nurse could explain how this drug could help my son to prevent cancers and diseases for uterine or cervix, items my son does not have, I would be willing to get the shots.

Their suggestions are just that. They suggest... I refused. One dose of chicken pox vaccine was enough, IMO. They suggested guardasil, I refused. the nurse attempted to give me more info. Most is for the girls. I explained when the nurse could explain how this drug could help my son to prevent cancers and diseases for uterine or cervix, items my son does not have, I would be willing to get the shots.

I'm with you. I refused for a long time to give them the chicken pox one. I forget exactly what/why/how a doc convinced me into it for one of them............funny thing is I don't remember which one of my boys has it now but I know only one of them does.

Too much I say.

Aki call your district office, each county can have different requirements.

Noneof our kids had the chicken pox vaccine, they all had the disease.

I get the shakes thinking about all the adults that may end up with adult chicken pox.

Aki call your district office, each county can have different requirements.

I am trying to be cheap, we have no insurance and all these visits are killing me. Did the eye doctor today (needed to get sports goggles), Wednesday is the dentist and sometime before Monday he has to see a doctor for his physical. Shot me now!!! :surrender:

Called a place that advertised $30 school physical but they do not give anything but tetanus and TB. So I will probably call his peds and get him in.

They also pushed the influenza shot... I refused, meningitus they claimed he was probably too young for (11), pnuemonia shot was recommended, again, I refused

Aki, are you in Lake or cook county?

Would that be it??? I was going to take DS to a clinic which would only cost $30. Just called and they only give TB and tetanus.

I don't want to take him there if he is supposed to get other immunization shots to start school. :surrender:

And :hug: if you qualify via income you can get immunizations at low or no fee at your county health office.

since you have no insurance i would call the county health dept and see if there are any back to school health fairs that may still be happening.

We have health insurance for my children and my husband (leaving me with none) but we lack dental. I took my kids to the kids first health screening on Aug 3rd and got everything I needed done to get them back into school for free. I live in lake county and although I believe the health fair's are done now, you might get lucky.

And :hug: if you qualify via income you can get immunizations at low or no fee at your county health office.

I wish we qualified, I have been declined for Allkids for my son. He broke his arm last memorial day (2010) Had to have surgery and everything and they would not approve us. :pout:
So I am still paying those bills. :surrender:

our high school has registration wed and thur and kendall county health will be there giving physicals and shots if needed.

call your hhs county health office they are there for families like yours :)

the county health services operate independently of all kids. they are different programs

and apply for allkids again. they have a mandate to get more uninsured kids in the program. you can apply online.

Back