What's new

Virtual DJ for Karaoke?

Anyone here using Virtual DJ for Karaoke hosting?

Wiz: Like all other DJ programs that play karaoke files that's all it does. No rotation handling or any other karaoke centric features....

For an informal setup fine... however if you're gonna run a show you're gonna need to keep track of your singers and what they want to sing.... VDJ does not do any of that.

AutOKdj does though :sqwink:

I know you want a program that does it all... but as of right now that doesn't exist...

Sure many DJ programs will do karaoke and many karaoke programs can be used to DJ with but neither of them do the side job as well as what they were designed to do be it Karaoke or DJ'n.

Does that make sense?

Yup.

I'm hoping some day that there will be a very capable, stable DJ program that also does Karaoke well insead of using one program for Karaoke and another program for DJing.

autokdj does ok, but I've had problems with it and now with Pacemaker. I want a program that has a good user interface that's simple and not complicated. I prefer not to have plugins like Pacemaker etc. but if there are, I want them to be integrated well and very stable. Right now that's not the case.

I've filled in several times for another host that has Hoster and it's VERY easy to learn and use. Based on what I've read, Compuhost will come out with the features I'm looking for before anyone else and I'll end up buying it.

As far as keeping track of the rotation, I've been doing it with pen and paper and it's really easy to do, so I don't care if it's in the Karaoke program or not. I I have plenty of time during each song to look at the list.

I care a lot more about good sound quality, well executed key change while still maintaining good sound quality, stability of the software and for my personal needs I have to have tempo adjustment. EVERYTHING is more important to me than rotation management. With Hoster I just search for the song, click add track, click on the song and then click play. Very simple. Next singer I do the same thing.

I'd love to fill in for a few days for someone using Compuhost to get a really good feel for how it works.

Good luck with Hoster... and it's proprietary file formats....

Compuhost? you mean compu-poop.... ya no love for that program here.

I can't understand all the trouble you have... really.

I've run Winamp and Autokdj flawlessly for years now... on XP and now Vista.... true Pacemaker sucks... but so does most pitch controllers.... this one is trying to control pitch and tempo and doesn't like changes of more than 2 up or down.... but, if ya can't sing in the key the song was arranged in maybe a different song is in order.... I hardly ever use Pacemaker or any kind of keychangers.

I use pcdj vj it has singer rotation on it but I don't use it because i mostly do karaoke for private parties with less than 20 singer per night

I use VDJ also. I'm not a full-time host either..(infrequent,like Steve)

The rotations and such can be done just fine with a pad of paper, or a couple of Notebooks, As peeps have been doing that for years.

You have to excuse Jokers bad case of man-love for Toqer and his Autokdj.:sqlaugh::sqlaugh:

Is VDJ the ultimate set-up for Karaoke?? to me NO.

But if you don't focus your business on the Karaoke side, It works just fine but it is a little more effort to run.

So what's the street price on Virtual DJ?

Where would you buy it from if you were buying it today?

Does it have tempo adjustment?

Are you happy with the Karaoke key change?

Rob, Buddy, I would have VERY FEW songs available for me to sing if I sang everything in the native key.

I have 6 paid singing gigs this month. I don't give a rat's patootie about whether I have to change the key in order to put the song in a key that I'm capable of singing it.

People who think it's a matter of pride to sing in the original key, or it somehow changes the integrity of a song, or it insults the original artist, or whatever it is must have a very high singing voice or a 5 octave range or something.

If it wasn't for key change I couldn't sing several Elton John, Billy Joel, Beatles and other great songs.

When I do my shows no one ever says "why did you change the key of that song?" nor do they have any idea that I did.

One out of thousands of people knows and if they do, it's because they're a professional singer or a musician.

Rob, we don't always agree brother, but you are A#1 GI. :thumbsup:
Me love you long time. :love4:

What prompted all of this is I upgraded winamp to the most recent version based on your thread that said problems with the previous most recent version of winamp were resolved.

I updated and when I launched winamp only Pacemaker would launch and then it would lock up forcing me to have to CTRL-ALT-DEL and open task manager to close it. After several times doing this I gave up.

I saw a thread on Karaoke Scene where someone was asking "what is the best program that does both DJ and Karaoke?" I thought to myself "what a great idea!" One program to do everything that I do.

So what's the street price on Virtual DJ?

Where would you buy it from if you were buying it today?

VDJ Pro is $299 (U.S.), directly from their website. A LE (limited edition) version comes bundled with Hercules controllers, which can be upgraded to the Pro version for $150, for those who like controllers, and saving $150.

Does it have tempo adjustment?

Are you happy with the Karaoke key change?

Tempo adjustment is done the same by using the keylock (master tempo), in the same way a D.J. would.

Key changing is done in "steps", and it sounds fine to me, although I'm sure some others might be more particular than I am.

While I realize most of you only do karaoke as a side line.... I still can not fathom doing it with a separate note pad screen open much less {gulp} with pen and paper anymore....

I have seen the light and it is AutOKdj... no man love about it. You can have your Hosters, Compuhost, and S&D's none have the power of the AutOK.

No I don't need two players one for karaoke and one for filler music... that's what VDJ, OtsAV, heck even iTunes can do filler just fine for what that's worth.

Bottom line here is why work harder than you have to?

Now I'm not advocating this but I've watched hosts get drunk as the night wheres on and their rotations go in the toilet along with all the booze they end up pissing away by late in the evening... AutOK solves that delima pretty darn nicely.... get drunk, get high if that suits you... let AutOKdj do the work of handling the rotation for you... that way if you're drunk stoned **** can still see the screen to press play alls good and right in the known karaoke universe you have created for your self.

While I realize most of you only do karaoke as a side line.... I still can not fathom doing it with a separate note pad screen open much less {gulp} with pen and paper anymore....

Bottom line here is why work harder than you have to?

Agreed in principle, at least.

This is exactly my point to those people who still cling to their discs. How is pen and paper any more antequated than digging through cds or vinyl records?

Agreed in principle, at least.

This is exactly my point to those people who still cling to their discs. How is pen and paper any more antequated than digging through cds or vinyl records?

It's not but who needs to any more, you, me? I'd say neither of us.

Look all the above mentioned programs are fine and dandy for running a very informal karaoke show...

But once you get more than say 20-30 singers... and I mean singers that want to sing every dang round keeping up using old fasioned methods is for the birds... Joe, I'm not saying impossible just silly IMHO.

I see this a lot at various shows... they'll have a pad of paper and a pen or have notepad open on their screen all the while they have a karaoke program running such as S&D for the most part and yet don't use the programs ability to keep track of singers and requests.... why is that?

I don't use disc's anymore. I don't specialize in karaoke either.
I use VDJ for my DJ program, So for me to set-up a whole bunch of extra stuff to run Rob and Toqers way, To me is just dumb, and a waste of time to me.

I don't use disc's anymore. I don't specialize in karaoke either.
I use VDJ for my DJ program, So for me to set-up a whole bunch of extra stuff to run Rob and Toqers way, To me is just dumb, and a waste of time to me.

What extra stuff do you mean?

I open Winamp and enter a name and hit play.... how simple is that?

If you don't have Win-amp....Extra time.

Then someone has to get Autokdj all set up.....Extra time.

Now, i just bring my books, and External H/D with Karaoke on it, Plug it in and go!!

If you don't have Win-amp....Extra time.

Then someone has to get Autokdj all set up.....Extra time.

Now, i just bring my books, and External H/D with Karaoke on it, Plug it in and go!!

I agree with you it wouldn't be worth it to someone who only does karaoke once in a while or just as a small add-on to a gig where more than likely it wont be more than the same 5 people singing... but... and you knew there would be a but....

For a full blown show... where karaoke is the show.... I would not waste my time trying to keep track of a show on a piece of paper or even on notepad....

It makes much more sense to take the 1 minute download of winamp and the 1 minute plus 2 minute setup of AutOKdj over a pen and paper any day of the week and twice on Saturday.

Out of the box, so to speak, AutOKdj is ready to rock just import your library. If you want to tweek it to suit your personal tastes it only takes a minute or two to do and a few mouse clicks... done.

I've been saying that the whole time Rob...lol

I agree if you doing specialized shows and a large rotation...good deal

Robles in the past 6 months how many KJ gig have you done? For ****z and giggles?

Back