What's new

Virtual DJ for Karaoke?

Robles in the past 6 months how many KJ gig have you done? For ****z and giggles?

What does the number of karaoke gigs done have to do with software knowledge?

I may not have a regular gig but I do know what works and what doesn't... what makes a job easier and what doesn't...

I do not push working karaoke gigs anymore for two reasons 1. Not enough money... 2. An over saturated market...

Now, I know you're just busting my balls... but you know everything I've said comes from experience... just not recently

Please ,,, this is going way off track..... this was not a "what software to use post"

If you want to debate programs, make a post in the debate forum...

No way I am paying $300 for Virtual DJ. Thanks for the info, but that's just more than what I can bring myself to spend. I'll just keep looking . . .

I don't mind if the discussion went off topic, sometimes it drifts into some good information related to what it first started out discussing. It's just like the world wide web. You click on one thing and then it leads you to something else related and that leads you to something else and so on.

Please ,,, this is going way off track..... this was not a "what software to use post"

If you want to debate programs, make a post in the debate forum...

It wasn't intended to go that way. The OP asked about a certin program,(Which i use) and i answered. Then another program was brought into the mix...

I don't think this went off topic at all...

A question about VDJ was asked and answered...

Then other options were presented...

The only debate here is useability of the suggested programs for a given use.

Wiz doesn't want to spend 3 bills on software and I don't blame him... especially considering his use for it.

There are other options even beyond what I've stated... but the best by far IMHO is AutOKdj... and it's free.

Now so that everyone can choose there weapon here's a list of known good programs that at the least will play mp3+g:

AutOKdj
Roxbox
Sax & Dottie
Swift Eliete
Compuhost
MTU Hoster
PCDJ
KJPRO
VDJ
OtsAV

Winamp with Karaoke plugin

If I missed any of the majors I'm sorry...

Now choose your weapon and choose it well.

Now Rob's post is a good example of what I was talking about. In his list is a program I've never heard of, KJPRO. I'm gonna go look it up right now.

Now Rob's post is a good example of what I was talking about. In his list is a program I've never heard of, KJPRO. I'm gonna go look it up right now.

I'll save you some time...

It is Bob Latshaws latest pet project... he has it on his site under a different name but it is being marketed on www.pcdj.com as their new karaoke stand alone ... I believe they sell it for 99.99

I just downlaoded it-Karma- and tried to just drag music files into it like I can do with many, many programs and nothing happens. I right click and it doesn't do anything anywhere on the screen. I can't figure out how to add Karaoke tracks or singers or pretty much anything. I really, really don't like a black background either. It seems cumbersome and difficult to do simple functions like finding a song and loading it and playing it. This is what I call Crapware. Next!

Maybe it can be a good program, but it's going to take a lot of work.

LOL....

Look at the help file... it really is easier than it looks and in fact has a feature I wish AutOKdj had...

You can actually change the order of the rotation and the playlist will instantly reflect the change... it's a neat feature but goes against normal karaoke rules... but still neat.

I know I'll be accused of being lazy, but I like simplicity of design and operation.

If I can't figure out how to use a program like Karma just by looking at the screen, to me that's garbage. If I have to read the manual and help to figure out how to operate the program, then something is wrong. Again, that's what I call crapware especially when you consider that other programs are intuitive and don't require a bunch of time and effort to figure out how they work.

The main screen on Karma is so devoid of controls, it's the exact opposite of winamp. Winamp is busy looking with too many things displayed, although I need to try other skins, it may just be the skin I decided to try.

I don't like complicated software whether it's complicated by being cluttered with too much in the main user interface or if it has too little in the user interface and you have to go searching around to find things that should be in plain view that are buried in sub menus and other places.

Karafun is way simple to learn and operate. It has a good key change, decent sound, AND tempo adjustment. It's really easy to just drag a song from a folder right into the playlist then just double click or press play. I can drag the progress indicator and go to a different part of the song, I can easily restart a song, go forward, go back etc. Other programs could learn a lot from the Karafun user interface. It's very simple and it's a VERY stable program under Vista.

The search function isn't very good, but I just use the windows Vista search function and it works great. It has no rotation management, but it's not a hosting program and I don't care anything about managing the rotation on the screen. If it's available and simple to operate, that's great and I will certainly use it to manage the rotation.

I like the look and controls of Hoster much better than Karma too. It's simple and intuitive for the most part. There are things I don't like about Hoster too, but overall it's a decent program.

Wiz: I think you may have to resign yourself to forget what anybody else says about this software or that software... and try every last one you can google search until you find the one that best suits your needs....

I've done my best to point you in a direction that I thought may be helpful and useful but thus far you haven't found what makes you happy. Good luck my friend.

As previously stated, when neccesary, I use the original PCDJ/KJ Red. Does all I need, and never a problem. If you can still find it, as a full time host, I highly recommend it ( I mean, of course, if you simply MUST use software..:sqwink::sqrolleyes:)

As previously stated, when neccesary, I use the original PCDJ/KJ Red. Does all I need, and never a problem. If you can still find it, as a full time host, I highly recommend it ( I mean, of course, if you simply MUST use software..:sqwink::sqrolleyes:)

I've got a boxed copy of the original PCDJ VRM Karaoke plugin, which I'm told can integrate into Red VRM, or be used standalone. I bought it for $100, maybe $125 (I think) at Mobile Beat, something like six or seven years ago. I jumped from PCDJ to Virtual DJ before I even took the software out of the box.

PM me an offer if you want it.

Karaoke Software I've used

I've been doing the computerized karaoke thing for years now.

Before I started, I had some experience with CAVS karaoke player, and then I purchased compuhost. I wasn't impressed with either one. I didn't like the interface at all. I had a few "choice" words with the CAVS support line for some issues they refused to correct, so I decided to support the different format, MP3+G.

So I started out with Sax-n-Dotty. Nice program, but didn't handle rotations very well. I thought they did an extraordinary job in revolutionizing the industry, but they stopped short. Their hoster program was then released... and I switched programs to another one.

Then I switched to KJ Amp, (Rox Box) which I've been using for the past 4 years or so. I like the ability to fade in/out of tracks, and while the interface is not the cleanest, the functionality is nice. I also liked that it included the singer's history, so if someone asked "what was that song I sang 2 weeks ago?" I could look it up... and my customers loved that function. Another function I love about KJ Amp is the ability to save play lists. I've used my karaoke setup to do some performances, and it allows me to pre-program my songs, auto-play them, and re-use the list regularly when I can. It also works nicely for background music, which I play between singers at karaoke shows.

Most recently I received a copy of PCDJ KJ Pro. I've been playing around with it, and it has some nice features. It includes a nice rotation manager, singer history, and even full name/e-mail information for the singers, so I guess I could somehow export that information and notify my clients when I add a new gig, etc.

However... I have not been happy with PCDJ's reliability. I still have issues with PCDJ Red VRM, and have to reinstall it about every 3 months for some unknown reason. Then their darn softwrap gets in the way, and I have to call them back to reactivate my license. PCDJ KJ Pro is a nice IDEA but the execution is not very good yet. I've lost my whole list of singers for no apparent reason on several occasions, in the middle of a show. It's a very embarrasing thing to deal with, as you can imagine.

So I will probably be going back to RoxBox. It's been rock solid, and outside of a few minor glitches with pacemaker, it's been a staple for me. As I understand, Frank @ Roxbox is working on a new program to replace RoxBox. This new program is supposed to remove dependability on pacemaker and WinAmp, as a stand-alone program. He seems to know his stuff well.

So.. there you have it. I think I've experienced a LOT of karaoke programs over the past 5-6 years... and of course your mileage and experience may vary!

C:>

I just use winamp for my karaoke and my entire song playlist. it goes great. if a karaoke song comes up it will open up the video on the added on LCD monitor for the person and as soon as its done it closes to show my logo on the screen and onto the next song... its very simple however of course it doesnt allow mixing.

Back