Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

m33rak

Senior Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
opera is ok

opera has no flash [macromedia]

I'm fairly certain my opera has flash... it will display shockwave/flash just fine. I think you just need to install the plugin.

hmm, you need a seperate flash plugin from macromedia..

ok and... pm me,k

lets get back to the voting, plz

i didnt like mozilla at all either

Opera is better then Crazy Browser [more beautyful]

All good browsers:
  • Opera
  • Mozilla FireFox
  • MyIE2

Netscape is pretty much non-existant now, since Mozilla is open-sourced, free, and building off of the Netscape codebase. Why use Netscape when you can get the exact same thing, with improvements and free community support, from Mozilla?

I see FireFox eventualy taking over the majority of peoples' web browsers.

I don't. I see it taking over the majority of techie's browsers, but the common end-user is just going to stick with what MS gives them, which will be IE. They can surf the web, so why install anything new? They're never going to use the extra features of Mozilla, and they're not going to want to install plugins to get similar functionality to what's built into IE.

opera is netscape based also

and skined

many other features

Right, I saw your stupid post and had to register to comment on them. This is the reaction against Opera I usually see on most forums, and that is WRONG.
m33rak said:
opera is ok

opera has no flash [macromedia]
Wrong. Download it from Macromedia. This post is a basic example of "facts" built on your own assumptions. Do you realize that posting such statements, "opera has no flash", is seen as a fact, and spread as a fact? You actually stamp a helluva browser with such junk just due to your stupid assumptions.

Diesel said:
I don't. I see it taking over the majority of techie's browsers, but the common end-user is just going to stick with what MS gives them, which will be IE. They can surf the web, so why install anything new? They're never going to use the extra features of Mozilla, and they're not going to want to install plugins to get similar functionality to what's built into IE.
IE has nothing, absolutely nothing. People use IE just because they, wrongly, think one or more of the following:
  • There are no other browsers than IE.
  • IE has the best and most standards compliant rendering.
  • IE is the only browser that works with HTML pages.
  • IE is the only browser that works with your ISP (internet service provider).
  • What is a browser?

m33rak said:
opera is netscape based also
Wrong. Opera has an entirely own rendering engine.

People that say that Opera is buggy, too limited, or slow, have either
  • Tried a five year old version
  • Tried a beta version, like 7 Beta 1 or 7.50 Beta 1.
It is proved that Opera is the fastest browser on earth. It also has features that no other browser has; very comprehensive skinning, ok, almost all browsers and other applications have that. But you can also apply 11 different color schemes to the skin. That is a very unique feature.

People usually base their Firefox usage on its configurability. Firefox is simply the pale Mozilla engine, you need to download zillions of extensions to do anything with it. That's what they call configurability... easy configurability... when you need to download all features you need. The Firefox download size is 6.2 MB, and besides that, you need to download megabytes of extensions. The Opera 7.50 Beta 1 download size is 3.5 MB, it contains all features you just could wish from Firefox's extensions, and besides that, a fully functional email client and news reader - M2 - and an IRC client. Call about a compact, lightweight package! No browser beats that, that's simply a fact.

Oh, poor you, you get too confused with all toolbars and options in Opera, in turn. Then customize the toolbars. You can easily make them look just like you want. You can also download a premade menu set from MyOpera, I use one with an extra Resources menu, with quick WDG and W3C HTML and CSS validation links, a link map to programming resources, a quirks/standards mode informator, and Open in MSIE/Gecko options.

Opera also has a page zoom that zooms everything - very proportionally also, other browsers just resize the text which doesn't look especially cute. Opera remember the 100 last closed pages, so if you close one accidentally, or wish to return one later, just go to the Closed Pages menu. Also, if you terminate Opera unexpectedly (e.g. your computer crashes), when you start Opera again, it remembers all pages you had opened, so you can continue from where you were.

Not to talk about Opera's handy mouse gestures - I'm completely hooked in the Back and Forward features, hold the right mouse button and click the left to go Back. Opera also has a huge load of key combinations... and all that is configurable.

Opera is not especially buggy. It is very standards compliant, and it does it best to support both Mozilla and IE optimized pages. Especially it's JavaScript support is very comprehensive. Opera is full of hidden goodies, read a good article here to discover everything it can do.

Now, what about that horrible flashy banner ad? True, Opera (unlicensed) has one, but it is just a Google text ad, shown in the upper left toolbar (or wherever you configure it to show). If it really disturbs you... buy an Opera license, it's not especially expensive.

Please feel free to ask more.
Cheers
Jere Purmonen

wow

i really can't read all of that, but i will say that i like opera except it's not 100% in displaying pages correctly (probably around 90%) and it has some cacheing issues - for instance on Alien Soup when i go back to the main page some of the things i have read are still marked as unread, which doesn't happen in IE. If there's a fix for that please let me know, because otherwise I really like opera.

Justin Case said:

Opera remember the 100 last closed pages, so if you close one accidentally, or wish to return one later, just go to the Closed Pages menu.

Not to talk about Opera's handy mouse gestures - I'm completely hooked in the Back and Forward features, hold the right mouse button and click the left to go Back. Opera also has a huge load of key combinations... and all that is configurable.

Opera is not especially buggy. It is very standards compliant, and it does it best to support both Mozilla and IE optimized pages. Especially it's JavaScript support is very comprehensive. Opera is full of hidden goodies, read a good article here to discover everything it can do.

where is Closed Pages menu?

yea, i love the mouse gestures :)

ill agree about the buggy part

Opera is very standards compliant, it accepts sloppy code though to show pages made by stinky wannabe coders, that show "correctly" in IE. Usually pages with serious tag nesting errors, and similiar.

I have used Opera for ages and I'm a regular member of several vBulletin-based forums, both vB2 and vB3, and I have never experienced such problems. Would you mind explaining a bit more in detail? Please give exact instructions for what you do when you experience that. I have the feeling you haven't done exactly the same in IE as in Opera... it is a vBulletin issue I say. In vB2, you must manually mark a forum read to get rid of the New Posts notification. In vB3, you must return to the forum's thread view, directly, from the thread to get it marked as read. I think you've done that in IE, but not in Opera, which gives you the feeling Opera is doing something wrong. I guarantee you that it isn't. But there's still a slight chance... try checking the MyOpera forums, if there are such issues, I'm sure they have been reported there.

m33rak said:
where is Closed Pages menu?

yea, i love the mouse gestures :)

ill agree about the buggy part
Depends on your menu setup. By default, in Web Pages -> Closed.

the particular one i've noticed is my school's student web site...

http://hereandnow.northwestern.edu

open in IE and then opera - everything is left-aligned in IE and centered in opera. that's obviously no big deal, but it makes me wonder whenever i'm using opera if the page is displaying as intended or not

onto point number 2...

when i go to "new posts" and then view one of them and then go back (with the back button), in IE the page is updated with which ones i've visited. opera still shows them as new

i also visit a private asp-based forum and it doesn't update the forum listing after i post in a thread, it continues to show the thread as it was before i posted. in fact, when i go back to that page after a few hours away it tends to pull from the cache instead of asking me to log in again, still has the unupdated forum listings, etc

since my friend wrote that one i'm willing to stick to IE for it, since it clearly works better. but i wish opera would behave more like IE for alien soup and for the site linked above, if only just to put my mind at ease

I use mozilla, but now the voting is closed. I cant use IE because it just won't open (and neither will any folder on my computer :() and now if i had the chance i wouldn't go back to IE. It was a big change coming over, and im not going back.

Back