What's new

What am I getting myself into??

eiramnoaj

It's certainly much better to kick **** than to be
PF Member
Reaction score
Well I just called the shelter and the little pooch below is gonna be mine! :hiphip: :hiphip: :hiphip: :hiphip: :hiphip:

She got spayed yesterday and she's recovering just fine. The other pooch (who may or may not have been her sister, they're not really sure) has already been adopted. I still have to shop for supplies so I'll be picking her up tomorrow (I'll leave work early to head up and get her.)

I'm really excited (and so is my uncle about the prospect - haven't told him it's official yet) but I know now comes the hard part of getting her to fit in the household.

Keep those suggestions coming - especially on crate training, introducing her to the other furry family members and training in general.

So far on my shopping list for tonight are:

crate

puppy pads

food (dry and wet - they said they feed them a mix of both and a variety of brands)

I have an extra leash and I'm pretty sure she comes with a collar.
I have a baby gate.
I have some toys and balls and extra bowls.

Anything else I need right away?
NY380.16941454-2-x.jpg

treats...cause current pets might need a little extra loving.

Congrats!

Hoof chews for all - they are the only safe chews for puppies and you want to be fair to both doggies so they each have the same.

I'm excited for you!

Tomorrow, wear a shirt you don't mind messing up and then put it in her crate at bedtime. The smell of her person will be a great comfort to her when she's separated from you for sleeping.

treats...cause current pets might need a little extra loving.

Congrats!

I do have some already but will pick up something special.

Hoof chews for all - they are the only safe chews for puppies and you want to be fair to both doggies so they each have the same.

I'm excited for you!

Tomorrow, wear a shirt you don't mind messing up and then put it in her crate at bedtime. The smell of her person will be a great comfort to her when she's separated from you for sleeping.

Good ideas - thank you!

That is the cutiest puppy, the rest of the family will get used to it. What's the name?

Right now she's called Tessa but since she's only had that name for about a week or two it shouldn't be a problem changing it. I'm planning on naming her Sophie. (I was going to use that name for one of the first litter of kittens but the intented Sophie turned out to be a Stewie instead. :giggles:)

Are your other dogs crated? I know we had big head Fred for over a year befor Ottis came to live with us. And Fred taught Ottis the rules. We actually did not have to trian Ottis at, all Fred did it all for us.

Congratulations!!

:pic12: (well, more pics)

Also I think it's time for a parade (sorry, I had to do it!):

:dogs::dogs::dogs::dogs::dogs::dogs::dogs:

Are your other dogs crated? I know we had big head Fred for over a year befor Ottis came to live with us. And Fred taught Ottis the rules. We actually did not have to trian Ottis at, all Fred did it all for us.

No, I've never even owned a crate before. I'm sure when we're setting it up this evening Chloe's (avatar pooch) gonna be looking at me like what the hell are we putting in there?

Boy is she in for a surprise. :giggles:

She might not come with a collar....call and ask. I know our Sadie had one on when we went there, but were told to bring our own. They needed to keep all the equipment they could there to keep down expenses so we took off her old one and put on her new one before we left the rescue.

Oh and I can already tell by her pic that she doesn't like bows so don't try it. :hurt:

I think if you take her out with Chloe that she'll pick it up pretty quick that she's to pee outside.

Congratulations!!

:pic12: (well, more pics)

Also I think it's time for a parade (sorry, I had to do it!):

:dogs::dogs::dogs::dogs::dogs::dogs::dogs:

I'll take pics as soon as I can. (Don't want to scare her with the flash too soon.)

None of that above for Sophie - she's coming to the house already fixed! :hiphip:

Anything else I need right away?
NY380.16941454-2-x.jpg

A good night's sleep tonight. :giggles:

Can't wait to see more pictures. Is she all brown -does she have any white on her? She's a real cutie.

Congrats and I hope her tummy feels better soon.

She might not come with a collar....call and ask. I know our Sadie had one on when we went there, but were told to bring our own. They needed to keep all the equipment they could there to keep down expenses so we took off her old one and put on her new one before we left the rescue.

Oh and I can already tell by her pic that she doesn't like bows so don't try it. :hurt:

I think if you take her out with Chloe that she'll pick it up pretty quick that she's to pee outside.

She's all peach fuzz so nothing at all to attach bows to!

I'll add collar to the list - better safe than sorry.

That's a good point about the collar. I would bring one too. Shelters are always hurting for that every day stuff that we take for granted.

And for housebreaking, that's how it worked with Katie. Bella taught her the ropes of going outside. Katie was housebroken in less than a week! I was pleased.

Has Chloe met Sophie yet?

No. I asked about that before I went up last week and they said they really don't do that. So tomorrow will be their first meeting. Chloe really is a gentle soul - putting up with cats who want to kill her - so I'm hoping this won't be too traumatic for her.

A good night's sleep tonight. :giggles:

Can't wait to see more pictures. Is she all brown -does she have any white on her? She's a real cutie.

Congrats and I hope her tummy feels better soon.

From what I saw (I didn't pick her up so not too sure of the belly area) she's all brown. Kind of a coppery brown.

What are hoof chews and where do you get them?

They are pig hoofs and they sell them at the pet stores. They are usually pretty cheap but they STINK! as you would imagine a pig's feet would be smelly. They are safe for puppies to chew since they really don't come apart or get eaten like a rawhide. They're just hours of chewtastic fun for them to get their gnaw on.

They are pig hoofs and they sell them at the pet stores. They are usually pretty cheap but they STINK! as you would imagine a pig's feet would be smelly. They are safe for puppies to chew since they really don't come apart or get eaten like a rawhide. They're just hours of chewtastic fun for them to get their gnaw on.

:shesaid:

Sadie still daily chews on one Cookie sent her weeks ago. She has gotten a lil piece off it, but she's not a puppy. Seriously these things last forever. Sadie is also currently working a big knee or ankle looking bone. My DS loves to shove treats down inside the bone to tease the dog and really get her into it like a homemade Kong. :lol:

Back