What's new

What am I getting myself into??

Kong are ton of fun (never tried one myself, but prepped many times for our dogs). :hiphip:

You can pack them with pretty much anything (we usually fill with mostly dry dog food, mixing in odds and ends from the fridge like diced carrots, diced apples, lowfat cheese, lowfat cottage cheese, leftover meat, rice, and/or a tiny smoosh of peanut butter). While I personally think it's A-okay to give "people food" to dogs, I'm always careful to choose healthy foods that are low fat ('cause a high fat intake can be very dangerous to dogs).

My goal is a very snug pack that allows a balance of work and reward that keeps them busy for a while.

We have bought many Kongs through the years, and the hardest part for me is matching the dog to the Kong - they come in different sizes and different strengths. Our pit bull needs a large extra-sturdy one, but our similarly-sized rottweiler does best with a medium regular-strength one. Too bad I didn't invest in the Kong company BEFORE I bought a dozen!

Oh, and speaking of Kong investment, one of the few toys that has ever lasted at our house for more than a day is the Kong Cuz. Ooooohhhh, they squeak like a SUNNAFABITCH (the canine equivalent of a drum set on Sunday morning), but are sturdy as can be. There's the good Cuz (no horns) and the bad Cuz (with horns).

Good-Cuz-and-Bad-Cuz.png

:lol: The woman at petsmart suggested putting peanut butter in one and sticking it in the freezer before giving it to the pooch. She also mentioned that the Puppy Kong is just a waste of time and a marketing ploy. (I started to like her at that point.) I probably will get a Kong I figured I'd see how she reacts to the Nylabone at first and work our way up.

It's rainy this moring but I'm hoping it clears up when I bring Sophie home later today so we can do the doggie meet & greet in the backyard instead of in the house.

I'm so happy for you. I wish my dh would let me get more cats. The only way i got the last 2 was on my death bed.I'm not willing to do that again.:giggles:

Oh, and speaking of Kong investment, one of the few toys that has ever lasted at our house for more than a day is the Kong Cuz. Ooooohhhh, they squeak like a SUNNAFABITCH (the canine equivalent of a drum set on Sunday morning), but are sturdy as can be. There's the good Cuz (no horns) and the bad Cuz (with horns).

Good-Cuz-and-Bad-Cuz.png

ROFLMAO!!! DH got one of the 'bad' ones, with the horns for one of the foster dogs...Chewie was a rat terrier and he LOVED this stupid little thing!! chewed the feet off of it too! And could he squeek it...he had it here at the office one day and I was on the phone, had to tell the customer, just a sec, put the phone down and chased the little guy to get the squeeky away from him cuz he chewed/squeeked the thing constantly!! happy noise though!

I'm so happy for you. Congratulations!
I think puppy pee pads are a waste of money if you plan on training the dog to do it's business outside. Make the crate just large enough so the dog can stand up, turn around and lay down. Many pups will sleep in the back of crate & have accidents in front if it is to big. Hopefully your crate has a divider panel so you can do this. If not I would seriously consider returning what you have and get one with the divider in the intermediate size.
I do disagree with the puppy kong being a marketing tool to make more $'s; for 6-12 wk puppies that kong is nice as the rubber is softer & has more give for those sharp teeth. Once the adult teeth start coming in then go to the red which is a stronger rubber. Black is the strongest and needed for the Power chewers (I do not work for Kong Co) :) They make good products though.
I like to stuff with a little bit of their food mixed with just enough peanut butter or cream cheese to hold together and then freeze it. Dogs still love it and still pretty cheap to fill.
Once again - Congratulations on your latest addition :hiphip:

This one didn't come with a divider but what I was reading is I could put a box in there to take up some of the space. Haven't done it yet but will keep it in mind.

About 3 more hours until I leave work to pick up Sophie!! :hiphip:

You will have to watch her with the chew toys. Gadget can chew anything into pieces including raw femur bones, kongs and nylabones. Oh, and a loveseat. I'm so glad she is past the chewing phase - it was not fun.

You might want to go to a butcher shop if she is teething. Ask for small bones for the dogs. They are better and safer for the dogs to chew and they last a long time>(and they are usually cheap) Good luck!!

You will have to watch her with the chew toys. Gadget can chew anything into pieces including raw femur bones, kongs and nylabones. Oh, and a loveseat. I'm so glad she is past the chewing phase - it was not fun.

Glad you waited it out and didn't..........no, I can't......I shant.......I won't say it. :snicker:

Tika chewed chair legs, walls, books, shoes, and anything else she could get her little paws on. Labs are horrible chewers for a few months, but wonderful dogs once they get past that stage.

Tika chewed chair legs, walls, books, shoes, and anything else she could get her little paws on. Labs are horrible chewers for a few months, but wonderful dogs once they get past that stage.

:faint: :faint: :faint:

My baby's part Pit and she's as sweet as a peach (pit)!:lol:

My baby's part Pit and she's as sweet as a peach (pit)!:lol:

I agree. They are some of the sweetest most intelligent dogs I've ever known. (Sorry Chloe, Lucy and Sadie :giggles:)

:sign:

Sophie's going HOME soon!! Her forever home!! :hiphip:

surprise.gif
surprise.gif
surprise.gif

You wanna think about what you just said, Liz! :surrender:

Back