fords8

Hanging Out!
Peak Director
Peak Mediator
Mountaineers
PF Member
Reaction score
I'm sad his legacy is ending this way. :pout:

I do not know tooooo much about the situation--but from what I read yesterday afternoon he did say that he felt remorse for never following through--he did report the information, just never followed through.

its a terrible situation for all involved

because I was too busy yesterday and dh could not answer my question--WHY NOW are the victims coming out??

I dunno but come on............the school knew..........why didn't they do something then? Why is Joe being the scapegoat? Why didn't the guy who actually whitnessed the shower scene with the child stop it and call the police right away?

I do not know tooooo much about the situation--but from what I read yesterday afternoon he did say that he felt remorse for never following through--he did report the information, just never followed through.

its a terrible situation for all involved

because I was too busy yesterday and dh could not answer my question--WHY NOW are the victims coming out??

I know a few people who went through this type of abuse, unfortunately. They all were able to talk publicly when they were around their 30's. And by publicly I mean that they were able to tell people in their lives. I don't know what the research will show that may happen once a person reached a certain age (maybe they are are finally able to realize that it's not their fault and they did not cause it in any way). I don't really know exactly why a person would choose to tell the facts years later but I am HAPPY that someone blew the whistle on this! No matter your age, the truth will ALWAYS stand alone. I am so sorry for everyone involved in the situation (especially all those little boys), it's a SAD one, indeed!

I dunno but come on............the school knew..........why didn't they do something then? Why is Joe being the scapegoat? Why didn't the guy who actually whitnessed the shower scene with the child stop it and call the police right away?

I feel ya, Rebecca! Lemme tell ya that my DH and I discussed this extensively last night and this morning. I think the guy who walked in while the "man" had the little boy in the shower, thought that if he told Paterno and the President of the University, they would do something. He since has regretted NOT telling the police. I would have run and took the boy away and we would have gone straight to the police if I had witnessed it. But I think he feels that he should have done that very thing. He carries a lot of guilt about that decision. :(

i think for me there are so many who acted horribly. imo, the problem with paterno is that he IS (or was) penn state and penn state football. HE and the culture he endorsed of "dignity, honor, character...etc" is how he sold and ran his program. players had very strict codes to follow that had little to do with football and everything to do with character building. (they couldnt wear facial hair, they had to be at least 15 minutes early to every meeting, practice, etc, and not just for football). he was old-school and all about clean-cut and squeaky clean.

so, his lack of follow thru is truly mind boggling.

Don't know of his legacy, don't care. They should all be gone. Shame on all of them for not taking it upon themselves to take Sandusky out a long time ago.

I think I heard the guy who whitnessed the shower scene is still working there!!! WTH! :ranting:

Penn State students rioted last night.
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/11/10/paternos-firing-sparks-riots-at-penn-state/

penn_state_132033313.jpg

penn_state_news_van_1110.jpg

i think for me there are so many who acted horribly. imo, the problem with paterno is that he IS (or was) penn state and penn state football. HE and the culture he endorsed of "dignity, honor, character...etc" is how he sold and ran his program. players had very strict codes to follow that had little to do with football and everything to do with character building. (they couldnt wear facial hair, they had to be at least 15 minutes early to every meeting, practice, etc, and not just for football). he was old-school and all about clean-cut and squeaky clean.

so, his lack of follow thru is truly mind boggling.

This is what makes his legacy so sad. He made a HUMUNGOUS mistake and many will not remember what he did throughout his career. I am by NO means excusing his behavior...he has to be punished. I just wish he had made a better decision. But I say that about decisions that I have made in my own life too.

...he did report the information, just never followed through. QUOTE]

more than that, he continued to work ALONGSIDE sandusky (albeit emeritus on sanduskys part) after his knowledge of the incident

i think that is appalling.

do you think that they will let him go too, because he didn't go to the police?

Hell yeah! If they fired Joe then they should for sure fire the guy who actually saw it and didn't stop it!

Don't know of his legacy, don't care. They should all be gone. Shame on all of them for not taking it upon themselves to take Sandusky out a long time ago.

so true

i enjoy college football and know of penn state's history for "honor"

but, as a society, we must face this dichotomy head on.

it would be like harvard faking their students bar-exam results. the culture of some educational institutions, in particular, superceeds anything else. the culture and reputation draw the best of the best. and make, supposedly, the best of those who attend because it is managed and run by the best teachers, administrators, coaches, etc etc etc

it is so much deeper than football, and legacies. it is a mirror into what is real and what is not. what is true and what is not.

societally, this is a complete breakdown. while not the same, clearly, i liken it to when the first sex-abuse scandal regarding priests came out. clearly, the weight of the later is beyond comprehension.

but, penn state's scandal is the educational equivalent of it, imo.

education, and protection and valuation of our children go hand-in-hand.

They are all guilty as far as I am concerned, and each one is more of a coward than the next! It is YOUR responsibilty first as an educator, 2nd as an adult and last but certainly not least as a human being to protect defenseless children. The tears and pain of all those children are on the hands of PSU. Shame on them.

so true

i enjoy college football and know of penn state's history for "honor"

but, as a society, we must face this dichotomy head on.

it would be like harvard faking their students bar-exam results. the culture of some educational institutions, in particular, superceeds anything else. the culture and reputation draw the best of the best. and make, supposedly, the best of those who attend because it is managed and run by the best teachers, administrators, coaches, etc etc etc

it is so much deeper than football, and legacies. it is a mirror into what is real and what is not. what is true and what is not.

societally, this is a complete breakdown. while not the same, clearly, i liken it to when the first sex-abuse scandal regarding priests came out. clearly, the weight of the later is beyond comprehension.

but, penn state's scandal is the educational equivalent of it, imo.

education, and protection and valuation of our children go hand-in-hand.

Perfectly stated!

this boys are not in their 30's--didnt they say an incident--the one Paterno was told about --happened in 2002 the boy was 10 which makes him 19 now..

anyway--I was telling DH last night--what HEROES they would have been for following through when they found out about it--sandusky was not working there at the time--just doing his volunteer/charity work there--

Back