What's new

What do you write with?

Gannet

Active Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
I tried Pelikan, Parker, Platinum and Sheaffer fountain pens. But always returned to Graf von Faber-Castell.

What are your prefs? Gel pen (Pilot, Zebra), Pencil, Biro or fountain pen?

C000000359.jpg

I stock up on free pens at conferences, information days, meetings etc.

If I somehow run out, I get the cheapest ones in the shop.

I write with mitsubishi pens.... they are soft and they dont make me use the force XD

I generally write with a mechanical pencil. I can't stand writing with wooden pencils. I'll write with pens too, but I'm not much of a colorful person.

I generally write with a mechanical pencil. I can't stand writing with wooden pencils. I'll write with pens too, but I'm not much of a colorful person.

Uni produce a lovely self-sharpening, inexpensive mechanical pencil called Kuru Toga: http://www.cultpens.com/acatalog/Uni-Kuru-Toga-Pencils.html which have strong leads that don't break.

I also have a Graf silver Perfect Pencil which, erm, is expensive but is a joy to write with as its leads are strong and the pencil's holder has a built-in sharpener. I also have Graf's Classic Anello in Black Ebony which they hand-worked the nib in which I'd chosen. I love writing in my Moleskine in either media. My writing effortlessly flows, my literary mind in top gear. I suppose its what one can afford, but I've managed to narrow down a few pleasureable items that give real joy.

Do you write a lot, Ben? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate writing in anything other than black pen :p I just like the way it looks.

Any pen that I can find. I hate writing by hand though, would much rather use a keyboard.

Today I attended a board meeting. My fountain pen attracted interest. Writing with one of these is more of a statement, and fountain pens definitely enhance one's handwriting.

I like fountain pens, but I've never had chance to get a decent one.
I use gel pens at the minute, they're good for taking revision notes 'cause they're easier and faster to write with. That or pencil.
What I use to write with doens't really make a difference to me :p

I'm not particular with the brand of pens but I'm particular with the point. I like thin line pens so I prefer .02 or .03 pens. I usually find them in gel pens like Dong-A. I've tried Parker, it's nice but the point is too thick.

Is it just me, or do I write worse with pens? I mean, seriously, does anyone else prefer pencil over pen? Sure, pens are more professional, but my handwriting is small and pencils with 0.5 lead work fabulously for me. Pens smear for me and I just hate that. However, my preference of pencil may be due to the fact I've never used a "thin" point pen.

I haven't written anything by hand in a long time. As a result, my handwriting (which was already dire) has suffered greatly. I did use some form of gel pen to fill out a job application a few days ago though.

Mostly I write with a Platinum #3776 Century fountain pen, black ink, but also use black gel pens for academia. I've recently started using a B lead pencil, finding it a joy to write with.

Mechanical pencils are the be-all-end-all for me, I have using pens or wooden pencils.
I use the Paper Mate Clear Point mechanical pencils myself. Not great, I often have trouble with the erasers twisting back down when I use them - after I've used them for a bit. So I have to hold the twisty part so it doesn't move which is annoying but not that big of a deal.

If I had to choose a pen, because there is one I do use sometimes, it's a blue ballpoint pen. A Kikkerland Dutch Master extra-fine Artists quality pen. It's shaped a little like a tube of paint so that's why my mother got it for me as a stocking stuffer last Christmas. I don't use it much, mostly just to sign my artwork on the back, and to label my art boxes.
But also it's practically the only working pen in the house right now, all our other ones are shot.

However, I'm so used to working with mechanical pencils that I just prefer writing with them also. Honestly though, I draw more than I write. But when I do write, I'm a really ****ty speller and tend to write too fast also so I make a lot of mistakes. So I need to erase things.

Back