What's new

What FTP do you use?

I like CuteFTP, but when my trial ran out and I was given the option to buy for $65, I decided to see if there was a decent free alternative first, and that is how I happened upon the FTP software I use now: Filezilla.
seee I'm not the only one who knows what CuteFTP is :p WOO HOO!!

I used to use CuteFTP, but switched to FlashFXP about 2 years ago, and have used it ever since

CuteFTP FlashFXP and the other ones are the first im hearing of because of this thread. I very much love Filezilla.

seee I'm not the only one who knows what CuteFTP is :p WOO HOO!!
I started with WS_FTP Pro and CuteFTP Pro and was happy as a clam until the day they started giving me phantom files. I'd load a file and it would be zero'ed out once it got online. I thought it was a server issue and got my partner, who is also my Tech Admin to help.

So I emailed the file to him and he had no problems loading it. We checked everything at my end, firewalls especially but nothing would fix it. I even got on the support forum at Globalscape to see if they could help. All they suggested was my firewall but even with that turned off, it still zero'ed out.

So I asked my partner for a suggestion and he mentioned that he used WinSCP and I haven't looked back.

I started with WS_FTP Pro and CuteFTP Pro and was happy as a clam until the day they started giving me phantom files. I'd load a file and it would be zero'ed out once it got online. I thought it was a server issue and got my partner, who is also my Tech Admin to help.

So I emailed the file to him and he had no problems loading it. We checked everything at my end, firewalls especially but nothing would fix it. I even got on the support forum at Globalscape to see if they could help. All they suggested was my firewall but even with that turned off, it still zero'ed out.

So I asked my partner for a suggestion and he mentioned that he used WinSCP and I haven't looked back.
Im going to try it out later on, hope its free.

Yes, WinScp is free.

The default setting is for SFTP so if you are using standard FTP, make sure you click the dropdown box that says SFTP and reset to what you are using.

Also, if you aren't on a shared computer and it's safe from being compromised, save your info before logging in and check the "remember password" box.

Yes, WinScp is free.

The default setting is for SFTP so if you are using standard FTP, make sure you click the dropdown box that says SFTP and reset to what you are using.

Also, if you aren't on a shared computer and it's safe from being compromised, save your info before logging in and check the "remember password" box.
Is the SFTP more secure? What difference is it in FTP then SFTP?

No I think SFTP is Secure FTP
Exactly and ftp puts your password over the web in the clear. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Transfer_Protocol
FTP was not designed to encrypt its traffic; all transmissions are in clear text, and user names, passwords, commands and data can be easily read by anyone able to perform packet capture (sniffing) on the network. This problem is common to many Internet Protocol specifications (such as SMTP, Telnet, POP and IMAP) designed prior to the creation of encryption mechanisms such as TLS or SSL[2]. A common solution to this problem is use of the "secure", TLS-protected versions of the insecure protocols (e.g. FTPS for FTP, TelnetS for Telnet, etc.) or selection of a different, more secure protocol that can handle the job, such as the SFTP/SCP tools included with most implementations of the Secure Shell protocol.

So to protect yourself, your computer, and your site, use SFTP.

I use FileZilla and it works fine, I dont see the need to buy an FTP client when FileZilla is so good and it's free.

I use FileZilla and it works fine, I dont see the need to buy an FTP client when FileZilla is so good and it's free.
Same here, why pay when the free alternative is better.

I use FileZilla. Works fine for what I need it to do.

This poll was taken over on another admin site and the hands down favorite of the long time admins was WinSCP and CyberDuck.

Back