What's new

What is your take on the Arizona illegal immigration situation?

What are the benefits of dual citizenship? Besides the healthcare ;)
I suppose it depends on one's country of origin and their laws. Many prefer to maintain dual citizenship depending on their financial interests in their country of origin. Main disadvantage is having to pay taxes to both countries. Computation of taxes is complicated. Big brother has to have its share of income earned overseas if money is wired to the mainland. But one can't bring in over 10K USD when one flies back to the US from home country. IDK if it is the same for all, this is just my experience.

Morocco considers children born to Moroccan citizens....citizens. Just as we do. My husband was a permanent resident here but a Moroccan citizen there. He is an American citizen now and here (with an American passport) but is required to carry and bring with him his "National Card" when he is there.

If I gave birth to my kid in another country that child would still be an American citizen...it is similar to that.

NO woman is allowed to travel in Morocco more than 50 miles with the child without the fathers permission. Not even Moroccan citizen women.

The whole visa thing is crazy....WE (Americans) can travel into MOST countries as tourists sans Visa...but the citizens of those countries need papers to come her.

How strange the differences in countries and beliefs......if anyone told me I needed permission to travel with my kid I would laugh in thier face!! I wonder what the ratios of parents who walk out on thier kids are from there to here.......

REALLY REALLY REALLY low.

If you were to be seriously jailed for doing so, you wouldn't be laughing. It is laughable because you live here.

exactly!!! Because that is the way I have always been taught so to speak and often times in this country a parent leaves, many times with the mother being left to care for the child alone. could u imagine getting permission to travel with your child from someone you can't even find!!! That's why I was curious of the ratios

Wasn't being ****y about it :)

They don't have the fatherless issues hardly at ALL that we have here.

Having a society that frowns on permarital sex and has scary consequences (including not being able to find a spouse)...kinda makes people think.

That and boys and girls are mostly seperated from preteen ages until marriage ages.

Sounds medieval on one side...and yet really really appealing to me on the other.

All the Moroccan's that I know (in Morocco) are married to the same spouses since they married. I don't know anyone know there that is divorced (you can divorce...but most work it out because they KNOW they should work it out)...when divorce isn't thrown around every time you are upset it takes way more importance. You are also WAY more likely to treat each other better if you feel like you are in it for REALS for the long haul.

The old fashioned ideas of the man taking care of and providing for the wife that cares for the house and children works there.

I wish there was more of these things in our country as far as marital importance, premarital sex, etc.....sad really.

Not that this has anything to do with it but do they have arranged marriages there??

When the oldest Duggar boy married they said they had never even been alone in a room together...until their marriage night.

Islamic marriages are basically exactly like that. (not mine....but you know)

Because all they "know" is each other (physically etc...) it changes how the connection is....your spouse isn't one of many...he is THE ONE you gave yourself too (and he to her)...I believe that a man cherishes his wife differently when she is the only one he has ever "been with". Being one of 20 or so cheapens sex, imo.

Most definately!

Is one of your parents the child of a Canadian born in the US? I'm just wondering because as far as I know once I finally get to the point of obtaining US Citizenship I keep my Canadian citizenship (so dual-citizenship for life) and my son has dual citizenship for life. The rules will be different for his children though.

I know that these rules are different than when I first moved down here. They changed them about 3 years ago.

My Stepfather was Canadian, so when I was 10 I got my landed immigrancy then had to take the test in high school to get my dual citizenship.

After I moved back down here in my 20's, I was young and stupid and didn't cross the border enough to maintain my status. Now the rules have changed and I have to go through alot of steps to get back.

Funny enough, the Immigration for Quebec will let me back with less hassle, probably because I speak french LOL

What are the benefits of dual citizenship? Besides the healthcare ;)

I can't speak for any other countries, but I want dual citizenship so I can work here without having to constantly go through the hassle of getting work papers. Other than that I don't know of any benefit of having dual citizenship.

I no longer have health care available in Canada - it is only available to residents and this goes back to my comment about residency. I am citizen of Canada, but a resident of no country. Weird, eh? There is a small fee, maybe $50 a month, to keep your health care active so although I still have my card it wouldn't work, like an expired credit card.

As for taxes, there is a reciprocal agreement between Canada and the US so that you only pay taxes in one country. Both countries base where you pay your taxes on based on residency so I pay here in the US. Yes, I know I just said I wasn't a resident of any country, but for tax purposes I'm a US resident.

I travel on a Canadian passport and Lex will have both a Canadian and US passport. Unless we are travelling to Canada he will use a Canadian passport.

Also, right now I can't vote either in Canada or US since I am not a resident of Canada, but I a a citizen. Once I have dual citizenship I can vote wherever I am a resident.

I think that's about it.

My Stepfather was Canadian, so when I was 10 I got my landed immigrancy then had to take the test in high school to get my dual citizenship.

Ah yes, I wouldn't know anything about the rules as they pertain to adoption.

Canadia, you don't have to answer me if you don't want to, just curious, are you on work visa or you have a green card?

I will be eligible to apply for US citizenship this year. But I don't think I will, Malaysia doesn't allow dual citizenship, becoming an US citizen means I have to denounce my Malaysian citizenship. I am still hoping that we could move back there or at least part of the year when we are old and retire!

I'm H1B but I just filed my I485 and I765 last week. I pray that I'll be one of the lucky ones and get my green card in 30 days, but I shouldn't have to wait longer than 90 days. Another blessed benefit of being Canadian - once at this point there isn't a waiting list for green cards.

Technically you have to denounce any other citizenship before obtaining American citizenship, but the American's don't enforce it and Canada doesn't recognize it. For anyone that is interested at the bottom of this page is a list of countries that do/don't allow dual citizenship.

http://www.immigrationdirect.com/citizenship_test/citizenship-library-dual.htm

Back