What's new

What is your take on the Arizona illegal immigration situation?

"There are approximately 7.7 million illegal aliens employed in U.S. jobs in 2008."
(NumbersUSA).

And the # of people unemployed right now is around 15 million.

Here's a Maxine "joke" that a friend emailed me today ...

One of Maxine's best!!!!!!!!!

We need to show more sympathy for these people.

* They travel miles in the heat..

* They risk their lives crossing a border.

* They don't get paid enough wages..

* They do jobs that others won't do or are afraid to do.

* They live in crowded conditions among a people who speak a different language.

* They rarely see their families, and they face adversity all day ~ every day.

I'm not talking about ILLEGALS~

I'm talking about our troops!

Doesn't it seem strange that many Democrats and Republicans are willing to lavish all kinds of social benefits on illegal's, but don't support our troops.

I say this all the time. Look at what we as a country will do for relief efforts in other countries but most will not do the same for some one here in the US.
I don't quite agree with this. I think only in the US can you find a lot of freebies to its citizens like WIC, EBT, not to mention Medicare, Medicaid. Maybe, those who have lived here all their life and have no exposure to life outside the US like Asia and Africa better check what kind of freebies we have over there. Zilch. Nada.

I know it's been debated over and over but there are many citizens who have been spoiled by the welfare system for so long that they think they are entitled to the same comforts as those who work hard for the money.

I've read someone say previously "We should work hard-er since a lot on welfare depend on us!" So true.

I don't quite agree with this. I think only in the US can you find a lot of freebies to its citizens like WIC, EBT, not to mention Medicare, Medicaid. Maybe, those who have lived here all their life and have no exposure to life outside the US like Asia and Africa better check what kind of freebies we have over there. Zilch. Nada

I wasn't even talking about welfare programs. Look at the food pantries they help people that have higher incomes but are in need of help that do not qualify for public assistance.

I know of several people who use food pantries because their income has fallen but not enough to qualify for food stamps or there medical bills/ RXs cost so much they can't afford to buy food all the time.

How much money did the US as a whole donate to the Haiti relief effort? Probably much more than this country as a whole donates to the food pantries.

I don't quite agree with this. I think only in the US can you find a lot of freebies to its citizens like WIC, EBT, not to mention Medicare, Medicaid. Maybe, those who have lived here all their life and have no exposure to life outside the US like Asia and Africa better check what kind of freebies we have over there. Zilch. Nada.

I know it's been debated over and over but there are many citizens who have been spoiled by the welfare system for so long that they think they are entitled to the same comforts as those who work hard for the money.

I've read someone say previously "We should work hard-er since a lot on welfare depend on us!" So true.
workharder.jpg

Did you guys see the article about the high school students who were sent home for wearing American flag shirts on Cinco de Mayo?

Why should people wear American flags in AMERICA?

Did you guys see the article about the high school students who were sent home for wearing American flag shirts on Cinco de Mayo?

Why should people wear American flags in AMERICA? It might offend the illegals.

Before I googled the article I kind of figured the reason. First it has nothing to do with illegals or legals. My husband was born and raised in Mexico for 8 years, he came here through proper channels and has since become a citizen 10 years ago and been here almost 30. He very much could look illegal until he speaks.

As a married couple we had talked about this before because it had come up. It is a sign of respect and my husband used the example of waving a Mexican flag on St Patrick's day, which he actually had attended the southside Irish parade in the past and would never think of being disrespectful in that manner.

Also I believe it was not handled correctly, but it is for there safety. The incident my husband and I talked about was about someone waving a US flag on September 16 and was beaten for it, not agreeing my any means. We live in a society of shoot first, ask questions later.

Cinco de Mayo is not that big of a holiday in Mexico, actually my husband said they don't even celebrate it. It is much bigger in the US and September 16 is the Independence day.

First it has nothing to do with illegals or legals.

I agree with you there. Should have not put it that way. I am just mad that people cannot stand up for America without being politically incorrect.

Did you see the Glenn Beck show yesterday? He had a studio filled with immigrants and I think there were about 4 who were working on becoming citizens. There was also an immigration lawyer there and he brought three huge books that future citizens have to read and know to become citizens. Everyone in the studio audience agreed that the Arizona law is a good one. We Americans take for granted all that this country has to offer - many of these people come from countries where they are oppressed, there is horrible gang violence, and the legal system is more corrupt than not. The American system is not perfect, but it is preferred. They also agreed that if you want to work and live here that this country should be embraced as their new home. That means learning the language, becoming a citizen, and contributing to this country. Everyone did agree though, that becoming a citizen is difficult. I don't know if you can watch a replay on utube, but it was interesting.

There are ppl that have been waiting 10years to become a citizen. This just goes to show how long it can take.

IF YOU CROSS THE NORTH KOREAN BORDER ILLEGALLY YOU GET 12 YEARS HARD LABOR.

IF YOU CROSS THE IRANIAN BORDER ILLEGALLY YOU ARE DETAINED INDEFINITELY.

IF YOU CROSS THE AFGHAN BORDER ILLEGALLY, YOU GET SHOT.

IF YOU CROSS THE SAUDI ARABIAN BORDER ILLEGALLY YOU WILL BE JAILED.

IF YOU CROSS THE CHINESE BORDER ILLEGALLY YOU MAY NEVER BE HEARD FROM AGAIN.

IF YOU CROSS THE VENEZUELAN BORDER ILLEGALLY YOU WILL BE BRANDED A SPY AND YOUR FATE WILL BE SEALED.

IF YOU CROSS THE CUBAN BORDER ILLEGALLY YOU WILL BE THROWN INTO POLITICAL PRISON TO ROT.

IF YOU CROSS THE U.S. BORDER ILLEGALLY YOU GETA JOB,
A DRIVERS LICENSE,
SOCIAL SECURITY CARD,
WELFARE,
FOOD STAMPS,
CREDIT CARDS,
SUBSIDIZED RENT OR A LOAN TO BUY A HOUSE,
FREE EDUCATION,
FREE HEALTH CARE,
A LOBBYIST IN WASHINGTON
BILLIONS OF DOLLARS WORTH OF PUBLIC DOCUMENTS PRINTED IN YOUR LANGUAGE
THE RIGHT TO CARRY YOUR COUNTRY’S FLAG WHILE YOU PROTEST THAT YOU DON’T GET ENOUGH RESPECT
AND, IN MANY INSTANCES, YOU CAN VOTE.

IF YOU CROSS THE U.S. BORDER ILLEGALLY YOU GETA JOB,
FOOD STAMPS,

I don't know about the others, but this is not true. My SIL was denied when my BIL went to get food stamps because she was a little shy of being a US citizen for 5 years. He could get it and the three kids, but nothing for her.

I don't know about the others, but this is not true. My SIL was denied when my BIL went to get food stamps because she was a little shy of being a US citizen for 5 years. He could get it and the three kids, but nothing for her.

She should have sued the ****s for discrimination! :bowing:

In IL you DON'T HAVE TO BE A CITIZEN...you have to be a legal resident for link card benefits.

I probably shouldn't ask but...how can you be a legal resident and an illegal alien at the same time?!?! (yeah, yeah, undocumented person) What exactly would qualify someone as an illegal resident?

I probably shouldn't ask but...how can you be a legal resident and an illegal alien at the same time?!?! (yeah, yeah, undocumented person) What exactly would qualify someone as an illegal resident?

What Barb is saying is you don't have to have your green card that says you are a US citizen but as long as you have documentation stating that you are here legally then they give you benefits. (so no if your illegal you don't get Food stamps or a medical card) But if your kids were born here you do get all those benefits for them.

And it is never easy to figure out your status.

According to immigration I am a legal non-resident alien.
According to the IRS I am a legal resident of the state of Illinois.

So when I am asked if I am a resident I have to think of the context of the question - some times it is yes and some times it is no.

Back