What's new

Where did everyone go?

Of course this is just my opinion:

The manus seek permission to "reproduce" a version of a copyright holders song, it is my belief that the "reproduced" version of the song (since it is not the original version) is then protected under the copyright no matter how good or bad it is.

As far as shifting the ownership of the catalog does it really matter?

For the misconception that the courts will do an audit, what happens is the manu suing you will request through discovery all of your disc, your song books, your computers etc. and they will do their own audit. If you refuse the courts will order you to produce them and the manu will still do the audit. Don't produce them and the court can declare you to be in default and rule against you. As far as filing a counter suit part of the system is non suit so if the manu doesn't find anything in discovery they have the option of non suiting a case without predjudice, this means they can bring it back at a later date if new evidence comes forward or let it go without santion (or being subject to your countersuit). Either way the simplest and cheapest solution (if you are 1:1) is to submit to the audit or if you are a pirate to settle.

The courts do not decide to do the audit that is done during discovery and does not even require a filing (or motion to the court) it is simply a request from one party to another, not complying with a discovery request will result in a motion to compel to the court. This means that there will be a hearing on the motion to compel (and the cost goes up for both the plaintiff and the respondent) at this point the plaintiff will tell the judge the reason an audit needs to be done (obvious) and the respondent will tell the judge his/her reason that they don't think the information requested is needed. Then the judge will decide which side is correct and order (along with santions for attorney's fees) that the information be supplied or not supplied. If the respondent is really really lucky the judge will rule in their favor, and the manu will simply non-suit the case and continue to or step up the level of investigation on that person and bring it back later when they have a more concrete level of evidence that no longer requires an audit through discovery.

Joe you really don't have any understanding of what a countersuit is or what is required do you? These suits are about the logos and it really makes no difference what they are attached to (which by the way they are not attached to anything but the disc) the sound can be turned off and the song is never heard but the logo is still there. When would you file a countersuit?

The manus seek permission to "reproduce" a version of a copyright holders song, it is my belief that the "reproduced" version of the song (since it is not the original version) is then protected under the copyright no matter how good or bad it is.

If you are implying that the performer now owns the copyright to that particular song, you are wrong. The copyright belongs to the person or entity that owns the original copyright to the song.

I didn't say the manu owned the copyright I said it was protected under the copyright ie: the manu did the reproduction of the song under the permission of the copyright holder and therefore the the permitted reproduction is also protected, (just my uneducated opinion)!

Of course this is just my opinion:

It is copyright protection of the "sound recording" of the song only.

As far as shifting the ownership of the catalog does it really matter?

ABSOLUTELY IT MATTERS. You can't sue for something you don't own. Just as YOU can't sue a pirate for "trademark infringement" when YOU don't own the trademark.

For the misconception that the courts will do an audit, what happens is the manu suing you will request through discovery all of your disc, your song books, your computers etc. and they will do their own audit. If you refuse the courts will order you to produce them and the manu will still do the audit. Don't produce them and the court can declare you to be in default and rule against you. As far as filing a counter suit part of the system is non suit so if the manu doesn't find anything in discovery they have the option of non suiting a case without predjudice, this means they can bring it back at a later date if new evidence comes forward or let it go without sanction (or being subject to your countersuit). Either way the simplest and cheapest solution (if you are 1:1) is to submit to the audit or if you are a pirate to settle.

First of all, "The courts" will NOT "conduct an audit" and I'm 99.9% sure that even IF (and that's a huge "if") the courts were to order anything remotely resembling one, the defendant would motion the court to have a third party conduct it at the plaintiff's expense. And that "audit" would be limited to ONLY those tracks specifically named in the suit that they have evidence for... not a fishing expedition. Courts have been burned far too often to allow it. Just ask Kurt. When he went after Galaxy entertainment (See: Slep Tone vs Mudge) with a federal search warrant - which took some pretty fancy dancing to get in the first place - their ensuing "raid" and search - at a club, in the middle of a show - turned up exactly ZERO.... The attorney conducting the audit literally took the discs, one by one, out of their sleeves, looked at them and dropped them in a metal bucket. You can bet that caused a HUGE uproar... The judge was pretty pissed off - good luck getting a warrant from that judge for anything like this again.

The courts do not decide to do the audit that is done during discovery and does not even require a filing (or motion to the court) it is simply a request from one party to another, not complying with a discovery request will result in a motion to compel to the court. This means that there will be a hearing on the motion to compel (and the cost goes up for both the plaintiff and the respondent) at this point the plaintiff will tell the judge the reason an audit needs to be done (obvious) and the respondent will tell the judge his/her reason that they don't think the information requested is needed. Then the judge will decide which side is correct and order (along with sanctions for attorney's fees) that the information be supplied or not supplied. If the respondent is really really lucky the judge will rule in their favor, and the manu will simply non-suit the case and continue to or step up the level of investigation on that person and bring it back later when they have a more concrete level of evidence that no longer requires an audit through discovery.

It has nothing to do with being "really, really lucky" on the part of the defendant. It has to do with being a "reasonable request" and sorry, but in my opinion, supplying a picture of 1 or 2 logos on a screen and demanding an entire search does NOT constitute "reasonable." The judge does NOT automatically place sanctions on anyone.

It would have to be the plaintiff that would be"really really lucky" to get anything remotely resembling an inspection of an entire library, not the other way around.

Joe you really don't have any understanding of what a countersuit is or what is required do you? These suits are about the logos and it really makes no difference what they are attached to (which by the way they are not attached to anything but the disc) the sound can be turned off and the song is never heard but the logo is still there. When would you file a countersuit?

Joe does have an understanding Thunder, so please stop telling other people what YOU think they do not "understand."

"All about logos?".... Gee, I thought it was all about these:

1. Fighting piracy

2. Helping the industry and KJ's

3. Asset recovery....

4. Marketing product by "turning pirates into customers"....

It seems that the answer to this question keeps changing depending on the direction of the wind... at the moment. Wait 5 minutes and it'll change again.

My guess would be #3 & #4....pure an simple.

I have a great idea for a counter suit or even a class action suit since you're asking;

How about this:

FIRST:

I take all my Sound Choice discs in a case, and bring them with me with the "Safe Harbor" info to clubs and explain to them about how the safe harbor programs says "we won't sue you, but we might sue you anyway." and then tell them I'd like to do karaoke there for just a little more than the pirates charge because I'm "legal" and this protection ain't free.

SECOND:

Similar to what's happening in Arizona currently, they answer "we don't want karaoke here because we don't want to get sued"

You really don't think there's a class action suit there if enough KJ's run into the same roadblock? Who would be "spoiling the market?" The very same company that marketed and sold me the discs to "increase profits in your clubs?" Yes, marketed for "commercial use." And frankly, it wouldn't matter at this point if their lawsuits were all about "logos" would it? Nope.

I didn't say the manu owned the copyright I said it was protected under the copyright ie: the manu did the reproduction of the song under the permission of the copyright holder and therefore the the permitted reproduction is also protected, (just my uneducated opinion)!

Well, that is a no-brainer. No sure why you wanted to try and muddle the issue.

Wasn't trying to muddle it just pointing to something I think is relevant.
Well, it was extremely obvious to begin with. When you brought it up, and emphasized it, it appeared that you were trying to make it something that it wasn't, which is certainly muddling it.

Back