What's new

Who has seen The Hunger Games? What did you think?

Haven't read it or seen it BUT I don't like that the story is about kids killing kids..............please explain this to me. My DS12 wants these books and I'm really unsure.

Think Running Man from the eighties, but with kids and less outright, in-your-face violence.

The Running Man was also a Stephen King story, though the movie version totally ****ized the written work and while an entertaining movie, had little to do with the source material. Richard Dawson was a stroke of casting genius, though ;)

The Running Man was also a Stephen King story, though the movie version totally ****ized the written work and while an entertaining movie, had little to do with the source material. Richard Dawson was a stroke of casting genius, though ;)

I totally agree with you on this.

Clars, if you can find King's "Eyes of the Dragon" it is totally appropriate to even elementary age readers (if a kind of big mouthful for the younger ones), my oldest read it in 4th grade. Is also a very interesting & exciting story for adults. Almost completely "non-King," well-written, and very engaging. If your son enjoys fantasy he will eat that one up.

Clars, if you can find King's "Eyes of the Dragon" it is totally appropriate to even elementary age readers (if a kind of big mouthful for the younger ones), my oldest read it in 4th grade. Is also a very interesting & exciting story for adults. Almost completely "non-King," well-written, and very engaging. If your son enjoys fantasy he will eat that one up.

I have that one in my book collection. I haven't read it in a while.

funny when I was telling dh the plot of huger games he immediately said running man--hmmmm there was another one he mentioned as well--

I say hunger games is based on the survivor tv show--but for kids--and well death--

so many parts of it can relate to survivor

The Lottery by Shirley Jackson, I bet. We read that in HS literature.

For you fans of dystopian fantasy, check out The Long Walk by Stephen King. It is a novella in the Bachman Books collection. He wrote it in the late 60s, I believe. Also kids in a tribute system, it is a pretty powerful story. Was the first "novel" he ever wrote, and has been on the 100 best books for teenagers list since its publication.

Do NOT read the Wikipedia page if you don't want to spoil it. Don't even OPEN the page.

The Long Walk is awesome! The Eyes of the Dragin was a good one too and my 2 older kids have read it. My middle son who is 11, has just started The Dark Tower series:)

As far as The Hunger Games...I thought the movie followed the book really close, and the shaking didn't really bother me too much. I thought it was long and drawn out a bit. I really liked Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss, but the two who played Peeta and Gale...meh...they could have picked better. If my kids wanted to read the series I would let them...even the almost 10 year old.

The Long Walk is awesome! The Eyes of the Dragin was a good one too and my 2 older kids have read it. My middle son who is 11, has just started The Dark Tower series:)

I haven't heard of that series. My DS12 1/2 is looking for a new series to read, thankx.

I'm still not sure about letting him read The Hunger Games though.

Do they actually show the kids being killed?

I haven't heard of that series. My DS12 1/2 is looking for a new series to read, thankx.

I'm still not sure about letting him read The Hunger Games though.
The Dark Tower series is written by Stephen King. Just wanted to let you know that...lol. There are 7 books ( some are really BIG books) and there is killing also and some sex. The Hunger Games is not really that bad...alot of the killing is not in the first person and you only know the kid has died because a connon goes off telling the other players one has died.

Do they actually show the kids being killed?
In the movie, the killing scenes are done more with the shaky camera effect and you can't really see much. It's really a great series, and I tried to get my 11 year old to read it...lol...but he didn't want to. We are pretty open with our kids in what they watch/read within limits. They have a good grasp on reality and make believe and are pretty well rounded. I know all kids are different, but honestly at 12 1/2...I would not hesitate to let my kids read the series.

ETA: I would pick Hunger Games over Dark Tower...since the DT series is written for older people and the HG are written for kids.

Ive read all 3 books and I didnt feel like they were violent at all until I was telling my sister about them then I was like 'that may be slightly violent'

The Dark Tower series is written by Stephen King. Just wanted to let you know that...lol. There are 7 books ( some are really BIG books) and there is killing also and some sex. The Hunger Games is not really that bad...alot of the killing is not in the first person and you only know the kid has died because a connon goes off telling the other players one has died.

In the movie, the killing scenes are done more with the shaky camera effect and you can't really see much. It's really a great series, and I tried to get my 11 year old to read it...lol...but he didn't want to. We are pretty open with our kids in what they watch/read within limits. They have a good grasp on reality and make believe and are pretty well rounded. I know all kids are different, but honestly at 12 1/2...I would not hesitate to let my kids read the series.

Thanks for the info. Ok so no Dark Tower series either. A 12 yo doesn't need to be reading about sex.

After everything I've read from you peeps, I'm still on the "no way in hell " list in regards to The Hunger Games. He can read them when he's older. IMO there's plenty to read that's more age appropriate.

As far as The Hunger Games...I thought the movie followed the book really close, and the shaking didn't really bother me too much. I thought it was long and drawn out a bit. I really liked Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss, but the two who played Peeta and Gale...meh...they could have picked better. If my kids wanted to read the series I would let them...even the almost 10 year old.

I am behind on the Dark Tower. I fell off at the end of book 3. I am planning to get back to it. I just wanted to wait until he was done because I didn't want to wait in between books.

He's not done, there is another Dark Tower book coming out end of April.

Books 4, 5, and 6 are some of the best literature I have read by any author. Don't delay ;) At least read Book 4. If you are as transported by books as I am, you will be rocked by the level of emotional involvement you find yourself in.

MrsMom IMHO if you let him play video games, there is no reason to censor his reading material. Maybe he will catch a love of reading, even above-age-level literature is better in every way than any video game.

I read that they really walked a fine line while making this movie, it needed to be violent as that would be staying true to the book - but they were trying to keep it at a PG-13 rating.

From what I've read (haven't seen the movie yet) maybe they "shaky" camera thing is their way of getting around it?

I've read quite a few "YA" books lately and they have not seemed so "YA" to me to be honest..!

When I was a YA reader, I read books like "Did You Hear What Happened to Andrea..." (teenage rape), "Killing Mr Griffin" (teens killing a teacher, maybe on accident, maybe not), "Steffie Can't Come out to Play..." (teen runaway, falls into prostitution). Those were all young adult novels & none were seen as controversial at the time. Adult themes in youth fiction is nothing new.

MrsMom IMHO if you let him play video games, there is no reason to censor his reading material. Maybe he will catch a love of reading, even above-age-level literature is better in every way than any video game.

I hear ya............prolly right. He already has a love for reading............has for a couple years now.

I guess if knew what was in the games he plays............parent fail. :nopompom:

Back