What's new

Who has seen The Hunger Games? What did you think?

He's not done, there is another Dark Tower book coming out end of April.

Books 4, 5, and 6 are some of the best literature I have read by any author. Don't delay ;) At least read Book 4. If you are as transported by books as I am, you will be rocked by the level of emotional involvement you find yourself in.

Well at least there will be 3 to read instead of one by one. That was torture with Potter. I love to read and if I am reading something really good, I can't stop until I am done.

I think a trip to the library is in order. I could have DH find them for the Kindle if possible, but I really do like reading actual books. that is probably why they are the one thing I ask for every Christmas.

Mrs mom, if you want some approachable literature for your son try Andre Dumas (The Man in the Iron Mask, the Three Musketeers, both translated from French & Iron Mask is much more digestible than Musketeers), Edgar Allan Poe (some polite gore but little actual violence and there is an undercurrent of sexuality sometimes but it is very cleverly muted). There are also huge collections of Star Wars novels (most with no or very little sexual content, though some violence, no bad language really) that are approachable, Star Trek fiction is also approachable yet many more adult themes than Star Wars. And put him to work on any of the Jack London novels. There is some nature-related violence & some death in some of the books, but they are very appropriate for middle-school readers.

Well at least there will be 3 to read instead of one by one. That was torture with Potter. I love to read and if I am reading something really good, I can't stop until I am done.

I think a trip to the library is in order. I could have DH find them for the Kindle if possible, but I really do like reading actual books. that is probably why they are the one thing I ask for every Christmas.

Well, if you're going to catch up, read in this order

Book 4
New book "Wind Through the Keyhole" releasing in April which is Book 8
Book 5
Book 6

There is a Book 7, which was supposedly "The End" and it is good BUT it was written around the time he was horribly injured by being hit by a car and that REALLY shows. It is as well-written as the others but his life events at the time are CLEARLY a motivating factor.

The newest book is a sort of "mid-quel," a story written in the middle timeline, giving more detail or another volume of history about what's going on.

I read books 6-7 in a glut at once, and truly wished after that I had taken more time. It was too much story, too overwhelming. I couldn't take it all in properly. The same thing happened when I read too many Potter novels at once back in the day. You get kinda numb to it. Like watching an entire season of a TV show in a marathon. I don't appreciate it the same way.

Our preteens have enjoyed the Akex Rider series by Anthony Horowitz and Roland Smith's IQ. Oh and there is another author who has a couple series out that our kids are enjoying- let me think- Rick Ricar. . .can't remember. If anyone wants to know, I'll look it up or ask the kids when they wake up. My 14 yrold son who thinks reading is "stupid" actually asked me to put the new one if the series on hold! I about fell off my chair! They are full suspenseful adventure and action. No sex and no gory violence.

Rick Riordan. Percy Jackson and the Olympians, The Heroes of Olympus, and the Kane Chronicles.

For middle-schoolers I'd also suggest The Keys to the Kingdom by Garth Nix (adventure, some violence), The Bartimaeus books by Jonathan Stroud (a genie, lots of adventure), and the Leviathan trilogy by Scott Westerfeld (steampunk, high adventure, little romance).

Well, if you're going to catch up, read in this order

Book 4
New book "Wind Through the Keyhole" releasing in April which is Book 8
Book 5
Book 6

There is a Book 7, which was supposedly "The End" and it is good BUT it was written around the time he was horribly injured by being hit by a car and that REALLY shows. It is as well-written as the others but his life events at the time are CLEARLY a motivating factor.

The newest book is a sort of "mid-quel," a story written in the middle timeline, giving more detail or another volume of history about what's going on.

I read books 6-7 in a glut at once, and truly wished after that I had taken more time. It was too much story, too overwhelming. I couldn't take it all in properly. The same thing happened when I read too many Potter novels at once back in the day. You get kinda numb to it. Like watching an entire season of a TV show in a marathon. I don't appreciate it the same way.

I hated book 7....I did not like that he let his life be a 'motivating' factor...lol. I don't want to spoil it for Clars:) Book 4 is my favorite out of all them!

Mrs. Mom...has your son read the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series? My boys really like them and will re-read them a lot:)

Rick Riordan. Percy Jackson and the Olympians, The Heroes of Olympus, and the Kane Chronicles.

For middle-schoolers I'd also suggest The Keys to the Kingdom by Garth Nix (adventure, some violence), The Bartimaeus books by Jonathan Stroud (a genie, lots of adventure), and the Leviathan trilogy by Scott Westerfeld (steampunk, high adventure, little romance).

DS has read those. I'll tell him about the others.

Back