What's new

Word of the Day

Bumcheeks - spread the word :winkgrin:

ok seriously, evanescence: Besides being a decent band I like this definition...

\Ev`a*nes"cence\, n. The act or state of vanishing away; disappearance; as, the evanescence of vapor, of a dream, of earthly plants or hopes.

I've been having very strange dreams that just sort of dissipate soon after I wake up before I can analyse them.

Yinglish

a dialect of English spoken by Jewish immigrants to New York,.

YesIndeed said:
sanguineous \san-GWIH-nee-uss\ (adjective)
1 : bloodred
*2 : of, relating to, or involving bloodshed : bloodthirsty
3 : of, relating to, or containing blood

COPROLITES

Fossilised poo. Studying coprolites is a recognised part of archaeology. One famous human coprolite was found in the cellar of a NatWest Bank when it was being refurbished. It was over 300 years old and had to be handled carefully so it didn't crumble.

It was about 7 inches long with a nice taper at one end and was still a nice rich dark brown colour.

You can tell a lot about diets and eating habits from ages past from coprolites.

And such a lovely word - just rolls off the tongue (metaphorically speaking of course).

peninsula - a portion of land nearly surrounded by water and connected with a larger body by an isthmus; also : a piece of land jutting out into the water whether with or without a well-defined isthmus

UXURIOUS

Excessively fond of one's wife. And so they damnedwell should be! :nod:

geegee

gee-gee n : a word for horse used by children or in adult slang

avoirdupois -

a system of measurement and weights based on pounds, ounces and grains

prestidigitation -

Etymology: French, from prestidigitateur prestidigitator, from preste nimble, quick (from Italian presto) + Latin digitus finger -- more at DIGIT

bling-bling - [i think u no] if u dont no its fancy jewlrey, gold, silver, and whatevers worth alot of money

runcible

... as in runcible spoon, nonsense word used by Edward Lear in The Owl & The ***** Cat

runcible spoon is a fork shaped like a spoon, with three prongs, one of which has a straight edge.

siphon

any of various tubular organs in animals and especially mollusks or arthropods that are used for drawing in or ejecting fluids

Too much tea on the workplace :(

ulmacious

pertaining to elms ...

(cannot believe that THE OWL AND THE "&*@@&" CAT, a poem written by Edward Lear, was censored in previous posting - that word simply means a CAT in the UK despite its double entendre!)

oubliette - from the french "oublier" - to forget

- a prison dug deep underneath a castle, from which there is no escape so the unfortunate captive will be forgotten and starve to death ...

misology - a hatred of argument, reasoning, or enlightenment

Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia-- Fear of long words

Dietritionalist - Not strictly a real word (ok not at all) but the one that one of my staff used today when trying to talk about two women one of whom is a dietician and the other is a nutritionalist. Since most of the people i know and work with don't know the difference anyway I think they should all be retitled with this much catchier version!

Ambidangerous... one of my "words". I am just as dangerous with either hand you see!

I'll leave the rest to the imagination ;)

Back