Your clothes washer... Do you...

fords8

Hanging Out!
Peak Director
Peak Mediator
Mountaineers
PF Member
Reaction score
love it? Hate it? What brand is it? What did it cost? (round about, not exact)
With everything else going wrong, the washer has decided now would be prime time to break. So I am looking for a new one. I onloy used this brand new washer for 4 years. In that time it has had 2 service calls. one for new brakes and I forget what the other call was for. Since it broke within 4 years... I would think this one was a p.o.s! and would not like to do that sale again tyvm NO!

So what kind do you have, how much was it, love it? Hate it?

Please and thank you!

I have a Samsung HE front loader washer and dryer. I got them about 2 years ago for $1,300 ea. I love that I can wash/dry so many clothes at one time. But the only thing that I HATE, HATE about them is the washer. If I don't leave the washer door open during non use it begins to smell moldy. It sucks! I didn't pay so much money for the biggest washer and dryer set to have my clothes smell moldy. The manufacturer won't do anything about it. They just tell me to leave the door open. So the next washer that I get will be a HE machine but a top loader.

I did see that someone posted about adding vinegar in place of the fabric softener. A little added to my loads does help with the moldy smell. Just an FYI to anyone that has a front loader.

front loader kenmore he3 about 5yrs old. love it. yes you have to leave it open that is because the seal for the front door has to be air and water tight or you would get leakage while washing. A small pita but a great machine. The he top loaders are supposed to still have issues according to the saleslady at Grant's. She does not recommend. check Consumer Reports for the latest info on reliability and efficiency.

We have a Kenmore HE Frontloader and matching dryer.
We bought them 3-4 years ago. I really don't recall how much they cost, but they were neither the cheapest, nor the most expensive model.

We have been happy with it, overall. No service issues, and the clothes seem to get clean.

I've heard other complain about the musty smell in the washer, but I have always left the washer door open, or ajar after each use, so I've never had that smell.

If you would like to check out Consumer Reports and see ratings for current models, you may be able to access it via your library (our library provides online access), if you don't already have a personal subscription.

Good luck!

I just bought a LG front loader this past winter. I was wanting the Samsung but my budget wouldn't allow it. I researched both brands for about a month before I bought it. After it was all said and done with a 5 year warrenty, we paid about $800 for it. There are cheaper models with less options than the one we got though. I always leave my door open on mine and wipe off the door and the rubber around it so I haven't had a problem with the smell. Mine also has the tub clean option on it that you run once a month to prevent build up and the musty smell.

We have a White/Westinghouse top loader...bought it @ Best Buy about 22-23 years ago for maybe $300...It's only needed 2 repairs...a belt that DH replaced, and the locking mechanism (it won't spin unless top is locked)...In the days of 4 kids & a DH with a stinky job I probably did 15 loads a week...

We had a top-loader supercapacity Kenmore when we moved into our house 2.5 years ago. It wasn't spinning out the water so being the genius I am I tried to fix it.

Didn't work.

Got another supercapacity Kenmore from someone on Craigslist for $50. Been working great ever since. The cost of a service repair call was more than buying a newer one, so that just doesn't make sense to me.

Top loader from Kenmore. Purchased it 10 years ago when we moved into our new house! Paid about $600.00 for it. I absolutely HATE IT!! Would never buy a Kenmore appliance AGAIN!:ranting:

I had a front loader Maytag Neptune and had it serviced 5 times in 5 years. I had the mold problem as well. I refuse to have to leave my washer door open, so I got a top loader. Actually I was such a ****, I got Maytag to replace my Neptune with another machine for free. Apparently there was a class action lawsuit against them at the time.

Anyway, lots of kids are coming in and out of my laundry room, so I don't want the door hanging open. Until they figure out how to fix that, I'm sticking with the top loader. Mine cleans just fine. I just got a black sharpie marker out of someone's shirt!

I have a love/hate relationship with Kenmore. We had always had both washer and dryer growing up with never a problem, so when I got my first house that's the brand I chose. A couple of years later the washer drum suddenly froze - no movement, couldn't turn it by hand, nothing. Called Sears repair and the first question was "Do you have the extended warranty?" I didn't but paid for them to come out to check/repair it. I was told that the bleach dispenser was cracked on the bottom (you could not see this without taking apart the machine) and over time the bleach had corroded the entire mechanism. Since they had delivered and installed it, I insisted that they were the ones responsible for the damage; they disagreed. The most the store manager offered was a discount on a new machine. I picked up an old Kenmore for about $50 and when that died (lasted longer than the new machine I had) I switched to Maytag. Knock on metal, we're on eight years now. I prefer hanging my clothes on the line outside, so my dryer (also Maytag) rests a lot.

I have the Kenmore Oasis HE top loader and the matching dryer. I love them! I have had them for a year now and have not had any problems (knock on wood!). I can fit a TON in at one time and am able to do my laundry in no time now. They are not cheap (around $1000 each) but we bought the dryer at the Sears outlet in Elgin and only paid about $550 or something like that. Good luck!

I have a front -loading LG, and I constantly battle with stinky washer problems; I win most days.

If I weren't such a tightwad, I'd replace it immediately.

I have the Kenmore HE Front Loader and Dryer. Also bought at the Sears outlet in Elgin. I think it was around $1600 for the pair, including the pedestals. If you get a front loader definitely get those - no bending over.

I had the funky smell, but I've been using the fabric softener dispenser for vinegar since it was mentioned here and it is gone. I still leave the door open but I bet I don't have to anymore.

I've had them for five years and no problems (knock on wood) other than the decorative plastic on one of the doors cracked when something fell against it. Doesn't affect the washer at all, just makes it look a little raggedy.

I have a top loading, not many extra features GE about 4 yrs now, works fine, so far no repair issues. My sister had a KitchenAid Front loader and had several problems with it. Said she would never buy that again.

I have a regular top loader that is huge.

How does the HE top loaders work? I thought by having it be front loading, that's where the water savings comes into play?

love it? Hate it? What brand is it? What did it cost? (round about, not exact)
The thing works just fine, so I'd say I like it.

It's a Frigidaire top loader, and it was a bit over $300 when we bought it nearly 4 years ago.

It's a pretty simple one. I had no interest in any of the bells and whistles that came with the models that were more expensive.

Bought the cheapest one we could find. Have no problems with it. It's a Kenmore from Sears-top loader, nothing fancy. All I asked for is hot/cold temp. It cleans the clothes. Got it for like $250 (maybe even less). When our last one died, we literally went out to find whatever was cheapest. It is what it is. Cleans.

Back