What's new

All About Movies

I just bought Rock of Ages. Saw it in the theater. Good movie !! TONS of 80's songs. A few, well one scene that would be a bit risque for younger ones. But overall, for us, I would give that a thumbs up. It is a musical type movie like Mamma Mia with Meryl Streep.

A couple of my all time favorite movies are Bed of Roses--Christian Slater, yummm. And I love St. Elmo's Fire.

And I was one of the dorks that loved The Breakfast Club and Pretty in Pink.

One of my MOST FAVORITE movies is Christmas Vacation with Chevy Chase. I can watch that one year round. ****ter's full........... :lol: Love it !!

Speaking of older films you could probably get at the library--Wait Until Dark, starring Audrey Hepburn as the "world's champion blind lady" is probably my favorite horror film. I've probably seen it 15 times. There are no surprises here for me, but there's still a scene that makes me audibly shriek. Good stuff...

57913545178801391_NrAnOS3v_c.jpg

I remember having to watch that for a class in high school--scared the CRAP out of me. No scary gory, just dark and creepy !!

I picked up "All About Eve" at the library last week. Betty Davis, Anne Baxter, (+ early Marilyn Monroe)... It won Best Picture in 1950. It's one of those old films that has acting good enough for you to not notice its age very much. Recommended...

A great Bette Davis movie is "A Catered Affair" with Ernest Borgnine & Debbie Reynolds...a totally different character than she usually portrayed...The setting kind of reminded me of the apartment where I grew up in Uptown...where we often had some relative (usually one of Mom's WI cousins) bunking out on the sofa until he/she could get their own place...

We got to see 2 movies with the free rental code from Redbox: A Separation (got the Oscar for best foreign movie this year) and The Machinist. Both were very good. The first one really blew me away - hugely recommended if you like drama, look for superb acting and don't mind subtitles. The Machinist was as expected, with a well developed plot and a believable resolution. Christian Bale was excellent, yet a bit scary with all the weight loss.

We also saw Looper at the cinema a couple of weeks ago. Very good movie about time travel, albeit a bit overrated imo. It was good to see Bruce Willis on screen again (I didn't get the chance to see him in The Expendables 2 back in the summer).

If you are a Cary Grant fan, I love "Arsenic and Old Lace." I've seen it probably 25+ times and I still crack up whenever I see it.

I also love the old Hitchcock movies. They just don't make movies like that anymore.

"Dead Again" with Kenneth Branaugh and Emma Thompson is a suspense movie that I love. And "The Usual Suspects" is a good one too.

Gaslight was a good old movie, Arsenic & Old Lace is one of my favorites so much that we went to see the play a few years back which was great.
Wait Until Dark scared me also but good movie

A few not so famous older movie favorites of mine...

"Love With The Proper Stranger" with Steve McQueen & Natalie Wood

"From Noon Till Three" with Charles Bronson & Jill Ireland

"Since You Went Away" with Claudette Colbert, Jennifer Jones

"I'd Rather Be Rich" with Andy Williams, Robert Goulet, Sandra Dee

If you are a Cary Grant fan, I love "Arsenic and Old Lace." I've seen it probably 25+ times and I still crack up whenever I see it.

I also love the old Hitchcock movies. They just don't make movies like that anymore.

"Dead Again" with Kenneth Branaugh and Emma Thompson is a suspense movie that I love. And "The Usual Suspects" is a good one too.
Older dd and zI just went through a phase where we watched tons of Hitchcock movies from the library: Psycho, Rear Window, Dial M for Murder, The man Who Knew too Much and of course The Birds! It was fun watching those with her.

Speaking of older films you could probably get at the library--Wait Until Dark, starring Audrey Hepburn as the "world's champion blind lady" is probably my favorite horror film. I've probably seen it 15 times. There are no surprises here for me, but there's still a scene that makes me audibly shriek. Good stuff...

57913545178801391_NrAnOS3v_c.jpg
I am like that if there is a movie I love I can watch it over and over!

Big Buisness....an 80's comedy with Bette Midler and Lily Tomlin playing twins switched at birth. It sounds tedious, but the actors are having fun and the pacing doesn't let you be bored. Good detail and cute dresses. On DVD and Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBzQJZHRZ8Y

Rented Wanderlust recently....probably the best Jennifer Anniston movie we've seen. It was cute.

Ides of March- watched it yesterday, liked it a lot.

American Reunion- I don't know what I was thinking. Pretty bad.

Just watched The Lucky One. I really liked it plus I know it's probably wrong...I'm old enough to be his mother but I think Zac Efron is one hot young man. :)

Also saw We Bought a Zoo & The Vow. Liked both of them too.

Just watched The Lucky One. I really liked it plus I know it's probably wrong...I'm old enough to be his mother but I think Zac Efron is one hot young man. :)

:shesaid: :drool:

Wanderlust was funny. We bought a zoo was good. The ides of March was disappointing.

I really enjoyed dark shadows.

Wanderlust was funny. We bought a zoo was good. The ides of March was disappointing.

I really enjoyed dark shadows.

Why did you think the Ides of March was disappointing? I thought it ended kind of abruptly...and would've like to have seen "more of" Ryan Gosling. :giggles: But overall I liked it.

We got to see 2 movies with the free rental code from Redbox: A Separation (got the Oscar for best foreign movie this year) and The Machinist. Both were very good. The first one really blew me away - hugely recommended if you like drama, look for superb acting and don't mind subtitles. The Machinist was as expected, with a well developed plot and a believable resolution. Christian Bale was excellent, yet a bit scary with all the weight loss.

We also saw Looper at the cinema a couple of weeks ago. Very good movie about time travel, albeit a bit overrated imo. It was good to see Bruce Willis on screen again (I didn't get the chance to see him in The Expendables 2 back in the summer).

I wanted to see separation back when it came out--I will have to go look for it

we havent seen many lately-too busy right now, but last night we saw the 5 year engagement--LONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG and dragged out

Why did you think the Ides of March was disappointing? I thought it ended kind of abruptly...and would've like to have seen "more of" Ryan Gosling. :giggles: But overall I liked it.

I expected so much more from this movie--LOL campaign managers really?? just never knew it was such an intense job!

Back