What's new

Cookie Class

So, is this with all cookies or just the decorated ones? I have a ton of cookies/peppermint bark/peanut brittle to make for next Friday and I was afraid to start now -

Not all cookies....some stay fresher longer than others... sugar cookies do fine in a tin for weeks...

I do a Christmas platter assortment of 12ish varieties of cookies every year and ONLY pick ones that will last weeks in a tin.... i make THOUSANDS and that just wouldn't be possible in the few days before I needed them :surrender:

Growing up my Mom hosted Thanksgiving, it is her favorite holiday and she ALWAYS served a tray of Christmas cookies for dessert (along with the usual pies). But that was "her" thing. As all of us girls have grown up and she no longer hosts and she lost the love for baking, we sisters have picked up the tradition. We do a cookie exchange the week before Thanksgiving so that whomever is hosting will have a big tray of Christmas cookies for THanksgiving :)
This is a wonderful tradition to pass on. Thanks for sharing.

Not all cookies....some stay fresher longer than others... sugar cookies do fine in a tin for weeks...

I do a Christmas platter assortment of 12ish varieties of cookies every year and ONLY pick ones that will last weeks in a tin.... i make THOUSANDS and that just wouldn't be possible in the few days before I needed them :surrender:

Thanks- so I'm thinking that spritz cookies word store well, and probably peanut brittle.

oh YES... i make lots of spritz :stretch:

one year, I remember changing the cover of the tin they were stored in more than once...
cause DD wanted to eat them all...... and well, just cause it was fun to mess with her
devil.gif

seriously stick a piece of white bread in with the cookies-keeps them extra fresh :)

I love spritz too but the cookie exchange I'm in doesn't allow spritz, bars or small drop type cookies.

I love spritz too but the cookie exchange I'm in doesn't allow spritz, bars or small drop type cookies.

What??? A cookie exchange with stipulations??? I'd have a ****tail before that party girl! ;)

I am in charge of the staff appreciation committee this year at ds' school. One of the events is a cookiefest type of deal.. I get parents to bake cookies and then all the teaches get to go around and make a plate. We need about 120 dozen and so far I have about 70 dozen coming in and it's next Friday. :surrender: So this girl is going to be baking her **** off the next week!

WTF?!?!? :tap: My spritz are beautiful!!!

Green ones with nonpareils

Red ones that look like poinsettias with a melty mint center

:stretch:

Are you looking for recipes, Ann???

Here are the ones I made last year... I'm dropping 2 of them this year and trying some red velvet crinkle cookies... red velvet is in :stretch:

The batons, fairy drops and melting moments are very popular and not too time consuming.... of course, MY idea of time consuming is probably different than the next person's :giggles:

Cookies7-9.jpg

Cookies1-6.jpg

Cookies10-13.jpg

WTF?!?!? :tap: My spritz are beautiful!!!

Green ones with nonpareils

Red ones that look like poinsettias with a melty mint center

:stretch:

Right???? And I can attest to those beautiful cookies because I was the proud recipient of a package of them when I met cookie a few xmas's ago!! :29: :)

they're all on stained pieces of paper... not copied and not online :lol: If there are some specific ones you'd like, please let me know..... or anyone else too, of course...

OH, actually, I do have a digital version of the fairy drops recipe... very :drool: and almondy :drool: ... I made a copy of it for mrsmom... still waiting to hear if she's going to make them :tumbleweed:

Ok so how about the three you mentioned above - batons, fairy drops and melting moments? Thanks again!

Great! Here's the one for fairy drops... I'll take pics of the others in the morning and post them :foryou:

FairyDrops.jpg

a little faint...

that's 4 1/2 cups of flour in the first line

and instead of their icing, I use royal, cause there's always some here and ready to go... and top it with crushed candy canes or other peppermint candy

a little faint...

that's 4 1/2 cups of flour in the first line

and instead of their icing, I use royal, cause there's always some here and ready to go... and top it with crushed candy canes or other peppermint candy

Just cause I want to print:

Fairy Drops

With their buttery sweet almond taste, these yummy little cookies must have been left by a Good Fairy.

4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter
1 cup sifted powdered sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup cooking oil
2 eggs
2 teaspoons almond extract
Colored or plain sugar (optional)
Almond Frosting (optional, see below)
Crushed candy canes (optional)

In a medium mixing bowl stir together flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt; set aside.

In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium-low speed until smooth. Add powdered sugar and granulated sugar; beat on medium-high speed until fluffy. Add oil, eggs, and almond extract; beat just until combined. Gradually add dry ingredients, beating on medium speed just until combined. Cover; chill dough about 30 minutes or until needed.

To shape cookies, roll rounder teaspoonfuls of dough into balls. (The dough will be soft). Arrange balls on ungreased cookie sheets. With the palm of your hand, the bottom of a glass, or a swirled or patterned cookie stamp, gently flatten the balls t0 about 1/4" thickness. Sprinkle with sugar, or leave plain, if planning to frost.

Bake in a 350F oven for 10-12 minutes or until edges are light brown. Transfer to a wire rack; cool completely. If desired, frost with Almond Frosting. Also, if desired, sprinkle crushed candy cane pieces over frosting. makes 55-60 cookies.

To Make Ahead: Place unfrosted cookies in a freezer container; seal, label and freezer for up to 8 months. Frost after thawing.

Almond Frosting
In a small mixing bowl beat 1/2 cup butter with an electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy. Beat in 1/2 teaspoon almond extract and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Alternately add 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar and 3 tablespoons light cream or milk, beating until smooth and of spreading consistency. To tint, stir in a few drops food coloring, if desired. Makes about 2 cups.

Thanks, Liz!

Do you have a magical conversion software or did you retype it ? :bee:

On tomorrow's shopping list: decorations for Christmas cookies and the ingredients for Royal Icing (if I can find the recipe here again).

Cookiemom, you need a thread just for recipes - and can we get it stickied please?

Back