What's new

Gardening Tips, Advice, Successes...

Thanks, I will have to check Menards. Do you know if the price is better at Farm n Fleet? It is a little bit of a drive for me. I would love to swap/trade clippings, veggies, whatever. Count me in.

Not sure of the price but you may be able to pull up online their sale brochure. I go to the one in Montgomery, the prices on nice hearty tomatoes and other veggies were only $1.99 vs $6.99 at HD, $4.99 at Menards.

I may have an over abundance of lettuce starters, I planted from seed and have ALOT!

Not sure of the price but you may be able to pull up online their sale brochure. I go to the one in Montgomery, the prices on nice hearty tomatoes and other veggies were only $1.99 vs $6.99 at HD, $4.99 at Menards.

Great, I will check that out!!

I may have an over abundance of lettuce starters, I planted from seed and have ALOT!

I plant everything in over abundance :giggles:

Bumpage

My little garden is planted and now flooded.

I sure hope my neighbour's sump pump keeps working (they are the low spot for our area).

So far everything except the cilantro is surviving the soaking.

Does anyone have tricks on keeping the rabbits away from my flowers. I haven't gotten a little fence up yet. But if there is a better way, I'll try it.
Thanks,
ML

cookiemom thanks for the chipmunk idea
smbka 1 thanks for the sq ft gardening idea i am going to do it

Just found this thread. Thank you MrsMom.

Except for a couple more rows of lettuce (I stagger mine about every 2 weeks so it's not all ready to eat at once) everything is planted. We did a veggie garden for the first time last year. Loved it. Learned some things and made some adjustments for this year. I have a 4x24' raised bed. Planted tomatoes, zuchini, cucumber, push beans, pole beans, sugar snap peas, lettuce, spinach, carrots, scallions, garlic, shallots and asparagus. 4' of the bed is a strawberry patch, which looks like it's gonna do really well this year. Last year we only had a couple strawberries as the plants were busy spreading out. Can't wait to start eating the fruits of my labor.

...Now to go back and read all the other posts.

Does anyone have tricks on keeping the rabbits away from my flowers. I haven't gotten a little fence up yet. But if there is a better way, I'll try it.
Thanks,
ML

There's a deer and rabbit repelent you can buy. smells pretty strong like pee when you spray it, but it goes away after a bit and has worked pretty well for us. You have to respray after it rains though. You can also make a homemade spray from water a bit of Ivory soap and cyenne (?sp) pepper. I've just read about that one though. Not tried it yet. I bought a book I saw recommended on a gardening site "the small budget gardener" and the cyenne pepper spray was in there.

I'm planting is stages since everything is all spread out in my backyard. The peas and carrot seeds went in about a month ago...they've been thinned and are doing well, especially with all the rain earlier this week.

The cucumber seeds went in today. I started them indoors last year, but just didn't get around to it this year, so we'll see how this works out. They will be growing up a trellis, which worked very well last year.

Tomorrow, the tomatoes and peppers are going in, but I have to work up the soil first.

My biggest garden problem is slugs. I've done some reading and was thinking of trying to build a "slug trap" using a cantaloupe rind. Has anyone done this? Any other non-chemical suggestions for how to get rid of them? TIA!

My biggest garden problem is slugs. I've done some reading and was thinking of trying to build a "slug trap" using a cantaloupe rind. Has anyone done this? Any other non-chemical suggestions for how to get rid of them? TIA!
Oooo, I just read something about this in that book I bought. Said they have a difficult time crawling across granulated surfaces. Cut sandpaper into a collar and put it around the stems of your plants. The ones for an orbital sander work well because they're pretty much already cut. And it doesn't have to be new. Used sandpaper is fine.

Took a quick look a the book and she also said, "pour some beer into a tin pie pan or other shallow container and place it in the garden. Slugs and snails can't resist the yeast, crawl in, and get trapped in the pan. You can intensify the attractiveness of this bait by adding a pinch of brewer's yeast. (Note: if they do not drown, you will still have to kill them.)"

Thanks,
ML

If you have dogs, try this:

Furminate you dogs then take a leaf blower and blow the hair around the perimeter of your yard. It has kept the rabbits, chipmunks and the like out of my yard and garden :)

Are you tarbending tonight? :bee:

Nope. No way I'd be able to log in while behind the bar. But, as things always do.. life has changed a bit and effective this week I re-entered the not-so-glamorous position of manager. Still means I can't log in while at work, but at least I get to have a few minutes here and there to actually breathe and wonder what ya'll are up to. lol

cookiemom thanks for the chipmunk idea
smbka 1 thanks for the sq ft gardening idea i am going to do it

Sq ft has been a huge blessing. I've got a sizable yard (for being in an older part of town especially), but even with all the extra ground to work with.. the Sq ft approach is unbeatable IMO

Thanks,
ML

I put moth balls around my garden and flowers and it seems to work.

half of my garden is in...the other half is flooded. Putting in 3 raised beds today plus another garden where the playset used to be. Definetly tired of the rain.

Oooo, I just read something about this in that book I bought. Said they have a difficult time crawling across granulated surfaces. Cut sandpaper into a collar and put it around the stems of your plants. The ones for an orbital sander work well because they're pretty much already cut. And it doesn't have to be new. Used sandpaper is fine.

Took a quick look a the book and she also said, "pour some beer into a tin pie pan or other shallow container and place it in the garden. Slugs and snails can't resist the yeast, crawl in, and get trapped in the pan. You can intensify the attractiveness of this bait by adding a pinch of brewer's yeast. (Note: if they do not drown, you will still have to kill them.)"

Oh yeah, forgot about the beer pan. Might have to give that one a try too. Drunk slugs! :)

Thanks,
ML

Get some foxes to move into the neighborhood? We've had a fox family in the neighborhood for about 3 years now...siginificantly fewer bunnies around. Haven't seen on in my yard in at least 2 years. I kind of miss seeing them, but I'm happy they're not helping themselves to my plants!

I've had some luck keeping the slugs off my hostas with Diatomaceous earth ... got tired of doing the beer thing and got WAY too many hostas... :lol:

http://www.organicgardening.com/feature/0,7518,s1-2-9-1502,00.html

Diatomaceous earth (DE).
After testing all kinds of slug barriers, Jeff Gillman, author of The Truth about Garden Remedies and professor of horticulture at the University of Minnesota, concluded that DE is the most reliable. "DE is a white powder made from the fossilized remains of diatoms, one-celled algae that have a skeleton made of silicon," Gillman says. "To a slithering slug, this lethal powder is extremely sharp and cuts their undersides, causing dehydration." DE does have to be replenished each time it rains, making it a better choice for climates where it does not rain frequently. (Note: Buy only untreated diatomaceous earth formulated for garden use, and wear a dust mask when applying it. DE made for swimming pools is chemically altered and not suitable for use in any garden, much less an organic one.)

Back