What's new

GEM Series appears!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Manobeer said:
Thanks for the info James.

Lets also factor in that it will require half the time/labor to burn/package and they would be shipping half the weight.

I am not saying that it is good or bad, just trying to be accurate. It does not cost the same.

Which is probably why they sell for less per song than the CDGs do!

Manobeer said:
???

I disagree.

How many songs fit on a single disc, I dont feel like doing the math but I can see one being cheaper.

From a manufacturing stand point they are the same whether you put only 20 CDA tracks or 50 mp3+g tracks that disc from plant to store costs the same.

Now the value the customer recieves, assumeing they are priced the same, is different.

But, a 20 cent disc is still a 20 cent disc no matter how much is stored on it, it's only costing the manufacture 20 cents to produce a single disc... this is of course after production costs have been covered. (Disclaimer: I made up the cost per disc just as a point of argument and it does not represent real costs as I don't know what they may be)

jokerswild said:
F

But, a 20 cent disc is still a 20 cent disc no matter how much is stored on it, it's only costing the manufacture 20 cents to produce a single disc...

OK thanks.

A set that contains 50 discs would be cheaper to manufacture than a set that contains 100 discs... yes producing a set that contains more songs per disc would require less discs hence it is cheaper to produce.

This is a thread about the GEM series which is sold only as sets.

I'd be very interested in the "agreement" that comes out with these.... because I would never agree to one that would allow for modifications of the agreement on their part anytime they want. It better start with "this is the entire agreement" and that's it.

BTW, produced the pdf file (on page 1 I believe) that is a combination of ALL the gem series, but I can also produce them individually, or again as a master list, but instead of disc and song numbers, just the "gem" that the song(s) come from. This will allow you to see immediately which songs are available on which discs.

Because.... if they've broken it up the way I suspect they have, then you'd get 3/4 of the songs you'd want on a disc and the one you "really need" is going to be on a disc with a bunch of junk (filler) you don't need and no one will want to sing.

I would really love to see them come up with collections to compliment the foundations and bricks. I don't need any more duplicates. I just need more updated content. That's why I'm sticking to CB and/or Sunfly now.

I'll be building up my system by purchasing a set a time. Probably will only get the Emeralds and the saffires.

jokerswild said:
Why would companies like TM Jones do MP3's????????

That arguement is bunk... as it doesn't cost them anymore to produce a CDA CDG disc vs a MP3+G disc come on now use your brain.... companies like this have been burning discs vs pressing them for some time now.

Must be some kind of misunderstanding, Rob. There was no argument. I was just agreeing with another poster that they would probably be burned in house, rather than pressed, and gave some reasoning. I wasn't judging burned over pressed here, or vice versa. :sqrolleyes:

Of course, if I WERE to judge.....:sqwink:

Personally now matter how much I'd like to, I won't be buying anything immediately. I don't have the income to justify the expense.

That being said, I imported the entire gem series into a backup copy of my current karaoke list. It went from just over 8,000 tracks to well over 14,0000. I'd have to look up the exact numbers.

I haven't finished my analysis, but right now I`d say I have around 6,000 unique songs and if the current trend continues the GEM series would be around a 20% repeat rate for my collection.. Which means I`d end up with around 4800 new songs. I don`t care who you are 10,800 UNIQUE songs would be a pretty kickarse collection for someone who`s been in the business less than five years.. :)

The best part to look forward to for me, is that the majority of the songs I desperately want are in the two emerald sets, so I could just save up for those and still be a really happy camper.

-James

Boo. Still don't have some of the out of print songs I've been wanting! Oh well, guess it's back to eBay hunting.

When I decide to build another rig, this is definitely the way I am going, however, for now, I have most of these on disc, already ripped to a 320 format. Please go back to custom burn soon, Sound Choice!

karaoke_carlos said:
I would really love to see them come up with collections to compliment the foundations and bricks. I don't need any more duplicates. I just need more updated content. That's why I'm sticking to CB and/or Sunfly now.

Exactly, and I don't think we are alone.

For Pirates or a new 2nd rig, the GEM series is fantastic. But create a Foundation/Brick add-on set for the rest of us and I will be first in line.

On another note...why is the zero mention of the GEM series on the Sound Choice website? No links...nothing. Only the super-secret hidden link for readers of a few message boards. I thought the whole plan was to SELL DISCS?! If SC still has a marketing guy...he needs his **** kicked out the door.

Bazza said:
Exactly, and I don't think we are alone.

For Pirates or a new 2nd rig, the GEM series is fantastic. But create a Foundation/Brick add-on set for the rest of us and I will be first in line.

On another note...why is the zero mention of the GEM series on the Sound Choice website? No links...nothing. Only the super-secret hidden link for readers of a few message boards. I thought the whole plan was to SELL DISCS?! If SC still has a marketing guy...he needs his **** kicked out the door.

The only reason I could think of is that they weren't ready to announce it yet and someone leaked it early.. *shrug*

jclaydon said:
The only reason I could think of is that they weren't ready to announce it yet and someone leaked it early.. *shrug*

Duke Nuke'm Syndrome.

Bazza,

That is strange because I do find a direct link to the GEM series on the website!

Btw: for those of of you who are a little disappointed with the songs released on the GEM series, I have a question. Did you participate at all in the discussion when the idea was first put forth? Did you send Kurt a request list like he asked? I sent Kurt my list and out of 30 songs that I REALLY wanted to see, 20 of those made it into the emerald series of discs.

10 of those that made it were out of print songs. If your requests did not make it in, then email Kurt again. Perhaps they will make it to a sapphire set if there is enough interest and this series starts to make money.

If there is enough interest, perhaps they would also be willing to execute some of the ideas in this thread. I am going to send Kurt a link to this thread because I think think the custom idea has merit.

Now perhaps the licensing cost would be too much for custom tracks like they had in Australia, but maybe it wouldnèt cost any more for them to let us pick which discs we wanted.

Example let a person pick a set of 20 discs from any of the series, pay the cost for an emerald set plus a small surcharge for the the privelege of pick and choose..

I was wroooo, was wrrroooooooo, was wroooooooooooo, I was mistaken, I can't find a link on the Sound Choice website, I guess it was an exclusive for those who are on certian forums!

I must have gone through the link posted on this board and for some reason thought I was going through the SC Home page!

Thunder said:
I was wroooo, was wrrroooooooo, was wroooooooooooo, I was mistaken, I can't find a link on the Sound Choice website, I guess it was an exclusive for those who are on certian forums!

I must have gone through the link posted on this board and for some reason thought I was going through the SC Home page!

Say it with me .... wro.. wron... wrong.... that's it see that wasn't so hard.... :sqlaugh:

jokerswild said:
Say it with me .... wro.. wron... wrong.... that's it see that wasn't so hard.... :sqlaugh:

Not for you maybe but I have never been wrong, I thought I was but it appears I was mistaken!:sqlaugh:

Thunder said:
I guess it was an exclusive for those who are on certian forums!

Exactly. Why sell to the WORLD when you can sell to a tiny fraction! Makes perfect sense to me! :sqconfused:

jclaydon said:
Btw: for those of of you who are a little disappointed with the songs released on the GEM series, I have a question. Did you participate at all in the discussion when the idea was first put forth? Did you send Kurt a request list like he asked? I sent Kurt my list and out of 30 songs that I REALLY wanted to see, 20 of those made it into the emerald series of discs.

I have no problem with the song selection...it's fantastic! It's the compilations themselves. I totally get it if you are a Pirate or adding a 2nd rig. It is perfect for that. But if you already HAVE the base disc sets (Foundations 1/2, Bricks 1/2/3/4/5) it is a bitter pill to swallow that you must re-buy it all...again.

All that is needed is a "Everything Else" set for those that already have Foundations & Bricks. I believe they would be surprised at how many they sell. Hopefully, they will do this as it's really just how you package it and has nothing to do with licensing.

Worst case, I guess I buy em and then sell the disc sets on eBay for a loss. What a PIA though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back