What's new

GEM Set #1 has arrived!

c. staley said:
Very simple: SC doesn't want you to rip your discs (with the red logo) to a computer, they want you to buy/rent them already ripped (with a blue logo and LOTS of strings... like submitting all your accounting records).

If you have ripped your original (red logo) discs to a computer... they will sue you... and the club you work in. They will ask questions later...

You can verify this with KJAthena.

And there is nothing BINDING that will keep them from sueing you when you copy the GEM MP3 discs to your PC either....

JoeChartreuse said:
And there is nothing BINDING that will keep them from sueing you when you copy the GEM MP3 discs to your PC either....
except for the covenant not to sue clause as long as you maintain a legal library.

c. staley said:
they want you to buy/rent them already ripped (with a blue logo and LOTS of strings... like submitting all your accounting records).

So far, my "rental" is kicking A$$. I absolutely LOVE them. They sound awesome and the selection is fantastic.

Oh, and I haven't been audited or asked for any accounting records. And I won't be...as I am not pirating any of their music. :tritongue:

Thunder said:
Yeah that is a sucky way to do something isn't it, sort of like hospital or a bank does when they lose a payment or some vendor you have purchased something from and they lose a payment and then file suit against you to recover that money!

It is NOT "sort of like" at all. They already have the money and did not "lose a payment". If you do this to a consumer - sue them for proof of a payment you've already collected- then it's called "harassment."

Thunder said:
Yes you could show them the cancelled check or reciept and they would make the correction or you could wait until you get to court and show it to the judge, who will then tell them to make the correction!

You shouldn't have to and it's too late... by this time you've already been sued, labeled a pirate and your reputation will be in question.

Thunder said:
The only mistake SC can make is to name someone who is strictly disc based!

You mean like they already have on several occasions?

Did you even read the article you reposted from the newspaper?

You are defending someone who can't manage their own funds!

Read it again! It says that Derek and Kurt became "MULTI-millionaires" and Kurt goes on to say that he's burned through his retirement and maxed out his credit cards. He's painted pretty dismal financial picture for someone who used to have "millions." Let me pull out my tiny violin and start playing "Hearts And Flowers." Do you feel sorry for him? Maybe you could float him a loan since you're so highly paid and busy these days..

Well, with an ENTIRE SC library at his fingertips, he should be able to get a pretty good gig just about anywhere right? And since he owns the "trademark" he can use as many of HIS libraries as HE wants and be a "super multi-rigger" .... he'll be back "in the green" in no time. And he wouldn't even have to do the work himself, he'd be able to hire a manager and a whole staff of KJ's (just like us) to make money for him...

c. staley said:
Read it again! It says that Derek and Kurt became "MULTI-millionaires" and Kurt goes on to say that he's burned through his retirement and maxed out his credit cards. He's painted pretty dismal financial picture for someone who used to have "millions." Let me pull out my tiny violin and start playing "Hearts And Flowers." Do you feel sorry for him? Maybe you could float him a loan since you're so highly paid and busy these days..

Now this is all starting to make sense to me.

THUNDER, ARE YOU SECRETLY BANKROLLING THIS WHOLE OPERATION AS A WAY TO PAD YOUR RETIREMENT??!!

ARE YOU THE AUTHOR OF THAT RIDICULOUS 8 PAGE GEM SERIES AGREEMENT??!! (cus, frankly, I've seen you work, and if you did write it for them...let's just say that you're slipping, my friend)

I DEMAND ANSWERS!!! I WANT THE TRUTH!!!

:tribiggrin:

Bazza said:
So far, my "rental" is kicking A$$. I absolutely LOVE them. They sound awesome and the selection is fantastic.

Oh, and I haven't been audited or asked for any accounting records. And I won't be...as I am not pirating any of their music. :tritongue:

There is nothing in the agreement that I read that states that there are any conditions in which they cannot audit you OR demand your accounting records at ANY time, for ANY reason.

Why do they want your accounting records?.... Give me a single (good) reason why it's any of their business.... IMHO: They'll want them just before your first term (5 years) expires... And If you think they can't "modify" the agreement at that time, you're sorely misguided and you just might find that your "rental" is kicking your A$$....

DannyGKaraoke said:
except for the covenant not to sue clause as long as you maintain a legal library.

That document doesn't seem to be included with receipt of the Gem set, as per an earlier question answered by Bazza in this thread- or was the the answer from the buyer incorrect?

Also see Chip's post above in regard to further harrassment at any time...

c. staley said:
There is nothing in the agreement that I read that states that there are any conditions in which they cannot audit you OR demand your accounting records at ANY time, for ANY reason.

Why do they want your accounting records?.... Give me a single (good) reason why it's any of their business....

The only thing I can think of is if I were to multi-rig their non-GEM music illegally and claim I bought them, they could dis-prove it. However unlike you, I am confident that if I adhere to the terms of the agreement (ie: don't pirate the music, don't multi-rig by set, etc), this will never happen.

c. staley said:
IMHO: They'll want them just before your first term (5 years) expires...

IMHO: They won't. I'll let you know in five years. :tritongue:

c. staley said:
And If you think they can't "modify" the agreement at that time, you're sorely misguided and you just might find that your "rental" is kicking your A$$....

(sigh). OK. You hate it, don't like it, and think it sucks. We get it Chicken Little!

I am not frightened by such licensing agreements. I run a real business. Leases & licensing agreements happen every day in the business world. I am reaping the benefits of a great deal on the best music and couldn't be happier! The asses I am kicking is the competition with the best music in the business. :triwink:

JoeChartreuse said:
That document doesn't seem to be included with receipt of the Gem set, as per an earlier question answered by Bazza in this thread- or was the the answer from the buyer incorrect?

Also see Chip's post above in regard to further harrassment at any time...

The only "covenant not to sue" that I am aware of is in the license agreement, Section 6.

djbojett said:
So if I already own SC foundation 1 & 2, Bricks, & The Mortar. Do I need to get a license?

No. You have a license...you own the discs!

djbojett said:
I guess I'm just confused on what the Gem set is for if I already own multiple legitimite SC titles.

If you already own multiple set's it's probably not for you.

It's for:

1 - KJ's who want a cost effective way to add another rig.
2 - Sound Choice Pirates who don't own anything and want to get legal.
3 - Single rig KJ's who want the entire 6000 song, 320kbps MP3+G set at a great price (me).

The GEM series is also for those few people that are too lazy to buy the foundations, bricks and a large volume of soundchoice discs and rip them themselves! ;)

I never bought any of those sets, altho I certainly wish I had.

Bazza:you never answered my original question. Did you ever get a chance to check your discs against the .csv files that soundchoice had on their website. There are 3 repeats in the files.

-James

jclaydon said:
The GEM series is also for those few people that are too lazy to buy the foundations, bricks and a large volume of soundchoice discs and rip them themselves! ;)

LOL...and don't forget "pay twice as much".

jclaydon said:
Bazza:you never answered my original question. Did you ever get a chance to check your discs against the .csv files that soundchoice had on their website. There are 3 repeats in the files.

Sorry, I never did. I will check and see this weekend,

c. staley said:
Very simple: SC doesn't want you to rip your discs (with the red logo) to a computer, they want you to buy/rent them already ripped (with a blue logo and LOTS of strings... like submitting all your accounting records).

If you have ripped your original (red logo) discs to a computer... they will sue you... and the club you work in. They will ask questions later...

You can verify this with KJAthena.

They DID NOT sue us. We received "intent to file paperwork "and was given opertunity to prove we were not pirates. To my knowledge we are the first company to clear the audit out of all that received the paperwork. I would be more than happy to purchase the Gem Series if we had the work to support the debt. I can't wait for more fillings in my area because I SEE the Change happening already. Let the pirates delete SC et al from their libraries...more singers at our shows. Let the venues that harbor pirates be sued...no safe places for the pirates to hide. More BAD karaoke eliminated...more work for me. When we reach +12 shows per week I will be ordering the entire GEM SERIES and building yet another system:yoknockout:

KjAthena said:
They DID NOT sue us. We received "intent to file paperwork "and was given opertunity to prove we were not pirates. To my knowledge we are the first company to clear the audit out of all that received the paperwork. I would be more than happy to purchase the Gem Series if we had the work to support the debt. I can't wait for more fillings in my area because I SEE the Change happening already. Let the pirates delete SC et al from their libraries...more singers at our shows. Let the venues that harbor pirates be sued...no safe places for the pirates to hide. More BAD karaoke eliminated...more work for me. When we reach +12 shows per week I will be ordering the entire GEM SERIES and building yet another system:yoknockout:

Where exactly were you putting on your karaoke shows? Cuba, South America, somewhere in Pakistan perhaps???

You should make it a point in the future to only do future shows within the borders of The United States Of America. If such a frivolous suit was filed against you here, you would not have to be put in the inconvenient position of proving your innocence. In this great country, you can sit back and enjoy the presumption of innocence, while the burden of proving your guilt would have rested on Sound Choice's shoulders.

Big Joe said:
Where exactly were you putting on your karaoke shows? Cuba, South America, somewhere in Pakistan perhaps???

You should make it a point in the future to only do future shows within the borders of The United States Of America. If such a frivolous suit was filed against you here, you would not have to be put in the inconvenient position of proving your innocence. In this great country, you can sit back and enjoy the presumption of innocence, while the burden of proving your guilt would have rested on Sound Choice's shoulders.

Wow. We all live here in the U.S., yet Big Joe seems to be the first to get it. An "opportunity" to prove innocence??? Gee, that was real special of them....:trirolleyes:

Big Joe,
I must point out in criminal court you are presumed to be innocent untill proved guilty. In civil court that is not true you do have to prove your inocence even here in america. I wish we had not been named however we were given time to prove our innocence prior to a actual suit being filed. AND happy at least someone (SC for now,,,more to follow soon) is attempting to do something about the piracy issue:tricool:

Back