What's new

GEM Set #1 has arrived!

Loneavenger said:
I've seen those before but never purchased because i've never used super cdg's and don't know how to rip/convert them into the zipped cdg format i use now?

I used the same Roxbox ripper Danny uses. Just know that the quality is not so hot as they rip out at 128kbps, with the exception of the DK-Millenium's which are 192kbps.

I can tell you that Chartbusters converts to 128KPS. Just got through converting them. Still waiting on delivery of the Nutechs and the two Aerosmith/ Guns N Roses discs I bought too. Considered getting the Legends Led Zeppelin disc as well.

For goodness sakes don't bother buying the Nutechs worst $10 I ever spent!

Too late I bought them when I bought the Chartbusters. Should get them this afternoon since they were sent out from Buffalo on the same day as the Chratbusters which came from rochester.
They have actually improved. who do you think made the last three sava discs and the KJTools. I'm assuming the newer songs were done the way the last two of the Sava discs were done.

Sortable GEM Set Listings in KJPro or MusicBook Deluxe format

After some negotiations we are in process of doing paper work to add 2 diamond sets and a bunch of discs from SC. In doing so, I have created a database of all the GEM set. Problem I had is for years we have used KJPro and it and Music Book Deluxe are both in Last Name, First Name and all SC's Gem lists sheets were in regular format. I changed all the names to the KJPro format and have it up on a database that is search-able by pretty much anything and can be broken down by sets. All column titles can be clicked on to sort by that column.. I spent a lot of hours converting and trying to compare and if it will help anyone else here is the link to the site I am working on..

It is a work in progress, so if it is changing slightly or not totally clear yet, I apologize!

http://www.karaoke2night.com/Gem/GEMSets_list.php

If you are on that main page go to the Quick Jump pull down at top and choose ALL GEM Songs and you can get the entire 6000 song list.

I will be in there working, so the page will change on you from time to time.

Use the search tab, you can type a year, a genre, a sub-genre, anything you like to make your comparisons and decision making easier.

DannyGKaraoke said:
Too late I bought them when I bought the Chartbusters. Should get them this afternoon since they were sent out from Buffalo on the same day as the Chratbusters which came from rochester.
They have actually improved. who do you think made the last three sava discs and the KJTools. I'm assuming the newer songs were done the way the last two of the Sava discs were done.

Nutech/Nikkodo made the SAV series, but not KJ Tools, which later became SuperCore.

JoeChartreuse said:
Nutech/Nikkodo made the SAV series, but not KJ Tools, which later became SuperCore.

On the last two discs there is at least one of the songs off of the KJTools set that is exactly the same. So you tell me if NUtech and KJtools is one and the same.

Just to add. The quality of the nutech supercdgs is pretty good. Not Sound Choice but doable. The only negative to the set is the duets, you can't tell who is singing but that is the same with backstage cdgs. takes forever to convert because I am also removing the guide vocals at the same time as converting so I don't have to remember to hit the multiplex button. The opening screen reminds me of Legends.

DannyGKaraoke said:
takes forever to convert because I am also removing the guide vocals at the same time as converting so I don't have to remember to hit the multiplex button.

So given the amount of time (unpaid labor) you are spending to convert a product you could have bought in a more suitable format - how are you affecting your bottom line in a positive way?

Comparatively, using your current labor rate - what is the real cost of these tracks?

Wouldn't this labor have been better invested selling your business rather than converting a product unnecessarily?
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
I bring up this example of a hidden cost to illustrate something about the notion of piracy and professional KJs. It shows why piracy (while a b__ch for manufacturers) presents no realistic threat to legitmate business minded KJs:

If you were a lawyer making $100-$300/hr you could easily see why you wouldn't waste time organizing pirated copies; or even coverting file formats as described above.

However, most of the Henny-Penny DJ/KJs point their finger at the so called "bottom-feeding loser" who's either on welfare or making just $8/hr on some remedial job. The coveniently ignored reality is that an $8/hr entry level worker is seriously lacking in many basic skills. They simply do not present any real threat to a professional operation unless that operation or professional is themself also lacking in meaningful business/employment skills.

Proformance said:
So given the amount of time (unpaid labor) you are spending to convert a product you could have bought in a more suitable format - how are you affecting your bottom line in a positive way?

Comparatively, using your current labor rate - what is the real cost of these tracks?

Wouldn't this labor have been better invested selling your business rather than converting a product unnecessarily

The RoxBox ripper does the entire disc at once. Start it up, walk away. The "hidden labor cost" is very low.

Proformance said:

Wouldn't this labor have been better invested selling your business rather than converting a product unnecessarily?
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
I bring up this example of a hidden cost to illustrate something about the notion of piracy and professional KJs. It shows why piracy (while a b__ch for manufacturers) presents no realistic threat to legitmate business minded KJs:

If you were a lawyer making $100-$300/hr you could easily see why you wouldn't waste time organizing pirated copies; or even coverting file formats as described above.

However, most of the Henny-Penny DJ/KJs point their finger at the so called "bottom-feeding loser" who's either on welfare or making just $8/hr on some remedial job. The coveniently ignored reality is that an $8/hr entry level worker is seriously lacking in many basic skills. They simply do not present any real threat to a professional operation unless that operation or professional is themself also lacking in meaningful business/employment skills.

I'd rather convert file formats than pay more for less. Over 6000 songs (SCDG, 247.98) vs 2400 (MP3+G, 309 + 145 a month for 12 months) is what I am talking about. How is that a waste of time? While it takes forever it is a set and leave alone process.

Keep in mind that removing the guide vocals is an entirely optional operation depending on the software you're using. You can (with most player programs) click one button to drop the guide vocal from multiplex tracks.

Personally, I don't use multiplex tracks for anything.

DannyGKaraoke said:
On the last two discs there is at least one of the songs off of the KJTools set that is exactly the same. So you tell me if NUtech and KJtools is one and the same.

Not the same. What happened is that a LOT of tracks were shared between a LOT of companies back in less regulated days. Amerising, Ovation, SuperCore/KJ Tools, Sav, All Hits, and many others shared. You will even find DK tracks on SuperCore. All of these mfrs. were shared compilers.

Proformance said:

Conversion can be done while surfing the web(or this forum)... some of us actually like sitting in front of a computer during our free time. So I wouldnt consider converting SCDGs or even CDGs to mp3 to be a hidden cost.

I cook dinner for my kids too, I dont consider any of that prep and clean up time to be a hidden cost either. I LOVE having them over for dinner.

just out of curiousity, has anyone who has leased the set been able to confirm or deny about the 3 repeats that are in the csv file?

-James

Manobeer said:
Conversion can be done while surfing the web(or this forum)... some of us actually like sitting in front of a computer during our free time. So I wouldnt consider converting SCDGs or even CDGs to mp3 to be a hidden cost.

The hidden cost is in the proportion of "free" time to "paying" time.

Bob what about us who study music every day for our own pleasure? Granted it helps with my business but I would do it regardless since it is a passion. Please give your most expert advice on that breakdown. Thanks.

Proformance said:

OH to add to what I have already said. I don't do this for the money. It's just an added bonus. I do it because I enjoy it. So what does it matter if I use my free time to convert much needed songs over to what I need to use them? I do it because I want to. Not because I have to.

Jon Tuck said:
Bob what about us who study music every day for our own pleasure? Granted it helps with my business but I would do it regardless since it is a passion. Please give your most expert advice on that breakdown. Thanks.

DannyGKaraoke said:
OH to add to what I have already said. I don't do this for the money. It's just an added bonus. I do it because I enjoy it. So what does it matter if I use my free time to convert much needed songs over to what I need to use them? I do it because I want to. Not because I have to.

When you're square on that aspect you're in good healthy shape.

It becomes an issue in the course of these debates whenever someone takes these personal applications of time and presses them against a business decision made by other people. It's also a problem where they become the anecdotal underlying justification for unrealsitic assessments and actions.

The "hysteria" over piracy is a perfect example. How many fingers do we see pointed at situations similar too yours (coverting CAVS content to more portable MP3+G) in an effort to paint the whole world as going to hell in a piracy hand basket?

Converting CAVS content is an infringement however, your personal use of the material hardly justifies a panic and it certainly has no bearing on the process I require for business purposes. When there are more of you who choose to crossover into a semi-professional application of your interest than the market will bare for my services - it's time for me to chart a new course of action.

Too many KJs are fooling themselves. More importantly, many of the combatants are themselves equivalent semi-pro crossover KJs squabbling over turf. (Squirrels trying to get a nut!) It's simply foolish to think that by law suit, whistle-blowing, or organizational fiat the tide of this transformation and the abuses inherent therein could be restrained in any meaningful way.

I'll use Thunder as an example (no particular offense intended.) If he is truly dropping a dime on people - it's fruitless. His full time self-employed interests are not parallel to the rising flood of karaoke cross-over hosts. He is pointing fingers at discreet droplets in a flood that will likely drown him anyway unless he chooses to move to higher ground.

The solution for professionals in this field is to find new ways to do just that and rise above the tide. No amount of hystrionics or flailing about will separate the mud from the water - so why are so many people still intent to swim in it? Is one manufacturer declaring themselves the life guard of this swamp all it takes?

Back