What's new

Jammie Thomas-Rasset hit with $1.5 in damages

Dan, this is exactly backwards of what some are saying concerning the Sound Choice suits, many are saying leave the guy using them alone and go after the hard drive sellers and sharers.

I think the approach of going after both is the only reasonable thing for anyone to do, smack down a few users with some hefty fines and the "user" will get the idea pretty quick. Same will go for the sellers!
No one is saying "leave the guy using them alone"!
What is being said, is that more effort should be spent going after the HD distributors. The way it appears now is that far more effort is spent going after the end user, rather than the distributor. If you cut off the supply, there will be less end users. Makes sense.
The way it looks right now, is that no one is going after them at all, or at least, very little effort is made to do so.
Just doesn't make any sense at all.

What is being said, is that more effort should be spent going after the HD distributors. The way it appears now is that far more effort is spent going after the end user, rather than the distributor. If you cut off the supply, there will be less end users. Makes sense.
The way it looks right now, is that no one is going after them at all, or at least, very little effort is made to do so.

Well since the vast majority of the "users" are also "suppliers" I would say they are indeed going after the right ones then!

I am sure the police wish the larger drug dealers were this out in the open. If they were you would find almost no one actually buying the drugs. If no drug dealers can be found, then usage goes way down. That is the way I view it.

Well since the vast majority of the "users" are also "suppliers" I would say they are indeed going after the right ones then!

I am curious as to where your facts came from on this post. Sure SOME of the KJ's are guilty of this, I see alot more sellers than I do KJ's doing it. Plus if it became known that the Karaoke industry was viciously coming after HD sellers then the KJ's would really think twice.

Reread my post...

I said I see SOME KJ's doing this, I don't disagree that SOME probably are, but to say the VAST majority is entirely another issue.

OK do you have any facts to support the contention that the vast majority of sellers are not also KJs?

OK do you have any facts to support the contention that the vast majority of sellers are not also KJs?

Never said I did, only know what I see. And wait a second...didn't I ask YOU this question?

It's actually nice having you back Thunder. I miss the in general arguments we share. I really mean that.

All of this is very interesting, but there is a huge difference, in both case law and damages, between a file sharing case and a Trademark Infringement case.

Any reason you quoted me, specifically?
Not sure who you're referring to about advocating that KJ hosts using your stolen tracks should fight anything. Certainly, no one here sides with those who have actually stolen tracks.

Here's some interesting reading on the subject of copyright and trademark:

http://www.tabberone.com/Trademarks/TrademarkLaw/TrademarkExtortion/TrademarkExtortion.shtml

http://www.tabberone.com/Trademarks/site_index.shtml

Do a little exploring. Very interesting stuff.

PS: Care to share just what these "recent cases" fought in court against karaoke pirates have been? Got any links
?

There is tons of history on Pacer.... every document filed in the Arizona cases.... not yet completed. Simply "public information" right?

It may vary from area to area but I actually don't know of a show run by someone who bought a Craigslist or Ebay hard drive. In our area I have heard more of one KJs drive getting loose locally, either because they duplicated it themselves to multi-rig or an employee copied it without permission and then took off on their own. Or everyone starts sharing songs because it is so easy once they are computerized. Or someone gets more songs from a file sharing site and distributes them. So going after just the hard drive advertisers would miss a good portion of the copying.

Do you have any facts that says the sellers are not KJs?

in reply to: I am curious as to where your facts came from on this post?

ROTFLMAO
You totally crack me up!

"Mr Smith - do you have any evidence that you don't beat your wife?"

How about we start with the reality that the placement of a listing on CL or eBay does not necessarily result in a sale; and then proceed to actual sales that can be documented - rather than supposing upon our worst fears?

So going after just the hard drive advertisers would miss a good portion of the copying.

At what point would this resemble going door-to-door searching refrigerators for out-of-date food products?

Here's some interesting reading on the subject of copyright and trademark:

http://www.tabberone.com/Trademarks/TrademarkLaw/TrademarkExtortion/TrademarkExtortion.shtml

http://www.tabberone.com/Trademarks/site_index.shtml

Do a little exploring. Very interesting stuff.

Extremely interesting stuff! And I see some of the points mentioned (in the 72 page document) do apply to the same information that I've found in the filed documents to the Arizona cases... here's just a few:

If long periods of infringing use are not objected to, the trademark holder may experience difficulty in subsequently enforcing that mark. Therefore, policing the mark is a necessary part of trademark maintenance.

Today, trademark holders are using this course of conduct to expand their trademark rights, not just to object to truly objectionable uses. That is, some trademark holders send thousands of cease and desist letters to the point that there are now “sample” cease and desist letters available on the Web. These cease and desist letters are followed by hundreds of trademark infringement filings. These cases are not necessarily prosecuted to a conclusion on their merits. In fact, if prosecuted to a trial on their merits, the trademark holder/plaintiff would likely lose because they are not always meritorious claims. This conduct is referred to as “strike suits.”

The Lanham Act is also seen as a great expansion of trademark rights. This expansion of trademark law through the Lanham Act is considered by some as an inappropriate statutory gift to corporations

Naturally, trademark holders are rent-seekers. A rent-seeker is an entity that spends its finite resources to capture artificially inflated prices for their goods or services. Trademark holders are natural rent-seekers because they benefit by any increased price for a good or service above the marginal cost of making that good or service

All indicators demonstrate the free-fall plunge of trademark litigation. While the number of total incidents of trademark claims of infringement peeked at 101 in 2001, by 2005, that number had dropped to 70 or a 40% decline in four years. Regarding the total number of injunctions demanded, that number peeked in 1998 at 129 and fell to just 25 by 2005 or an 81% decline in seven years. The total amount of damages awarded annually also fell precipitously. The second highest aggregate total annual damage award occurred in 1998 at almost $50 million. By 2005, the aggregate of all damages awarded to all trademark litigants in America dropped to $136,513 or over a 99% decline.

Another variable is trademark extortion. One plausible explanation for the data is that trademark extortion is occurring. As the number of cases initially filed continues to go up, the percentage of cases that reach a trial on the merits, the total number of cases reported, the total amount of damages and the total number of cases where an injunction is demanded are all decreasing. Although the other components, to be sure, may account for some of this, trademark extortion suggests one answer

Trademark holders are encouraged to be predacious. They file suit with no intent to prosecute it to a conclusion on the merits. Therefore, the number of cases initially filed increase, but the number of cases that reach a trial on the merits remains constant and all other indicators free fall. This predatory conduct is leading to the end of trademark law, an end to the public resolution of conflict between trademark holders and an end to the rational use of the Lanham Act as a vehicle to define trademark rights in America. Perhaps American antitrust laws should be specifically amended to make trademark extortion illegal.

Kurt, I'm aware of the fines mostly because of the FBI warnings and the beginning of movies and me being curious and going to read more about it. Even if you can legally get up $2,000,000. How is that number even remotely fair?

That being said, The RIAA is an association of lawyers. I'm sure they have some very talented people on their payroll. Just because one lawyer out talks another doesn't mean Mrs. Thomas-Rasset is guilty.

I haven't followed the specifics in this case but have you considered that Mrs. Thomas-Rasset didn't settle because she not guilty? If she got a lawyer pro-bono they must have had confidence in her innocence.

But she was guilty and she even did many things to conceal the fact that there was file sharing going on - that's one reason why she is being hit with Willful Infringement.

As for the fines (punishment) having any direct correlation to the "crime" (as in make the punishment fit the crime), the steep fines were intended by Congress and the Copyright Tribunal to be of a deterrent nature - not of a "practical" or "reasonable" nature. That said, I think that even the most ardent detractor of our "methods" would have a hard time arguing that what we are seeking is "unfair" relative to a confirmed pirates infractions. I believe you completely overlooked (hopefully unintentionally and not as a way to spread disinformation) what I said we were seeking in our settlements as opposed to what we could seek.

On the contrary, many would like to see us seek or get something substantially greater SO THAT WE DO COMPLETELY WIPE OUT SOMEONE.

We will save the BIGGEST fines for the biggest pirates (like Lightyear Music/Karaoke Kandy Store). The thing is that with our pricing and even financing, there should be no economic excuse (as in "I can't afford it" ) for not coming to us first and getting legal. Therefore, the "spread" between the settlement cost and the cost to license before getting caught is going to increase so that there is more of a punitive amount for continuing to operate illegally. But I can't imagine us seeking the full amount we could against a KJ who is a "user" and not also a reseller. In default cases, we are only asking $25,000.

I am curious as to where your facts came from on this post. Sure SOME of the KJ's are guilty of this, I see alot more sellers than I do KJ's doing it. Plus if it became known that the Karaoke industry was viciously coming after HD sellers then the KJ's would really think twice.

All in due time. As I have repeatedly stated, you don't know what actions are being taken against the resellers. It took YEARS for the FBI to finally make their move against Bill Bene aka Dan Stearns - but he is going to be toast when they finish. We won't wait that long trying to engage law enforcement again, but we are at least trying. Until the HD sellers know that they could be doing time as Bubba's "wife" there might not be enough financial deterrent from a civil suit to most of them. We know exactly where the top three current resellers live and have purchased units from all three of them. And we are evaluating our options at the moment.

But Thunder is correct - in our investigations MANY of the pirate rigs in various areas were supplied by a local pirate KJ/reseller.

It may vary from area to area but I actually don't know of a show run by someone who bought a Craigslist or Ebay hard drive. In our area I have heard more of one KJs drive getting loose locally, either because they duplicated it themselves to multi-rig or an employee copied it without permission and then took off on their own. Or everyone starts sharing songs because it is so easy once they are computerized. Or someone gets more songs from a file sharing site and distributes them. So going after just the hard drive advertisers would miss a good portion of the copying.

As stupid as it seems ( A KJ helping create his own competition) we have evidence in every locale where we have filed suits that a substantial number of pirate systems were sold or shared by a local host. Where does OUR evidence come from - the people we investigate and settle with show us proof of their source. Which becomes grounds for the next round of lawsuits. You will note in some of our second lawsuits in a state that we do sue a KJ for also being a seller or provider of systems.

All of this is very interesting, but there is a huge difference, in both case law and damages, between a file sharing case and a Trademark Infringement case.

Exactly my point in stating that the file sharing of 24 files pales in comparison to wholesale copying and commercial use of thousands of pirated files. Which is why we are quite confident that if one of our cases goes to court we will prevail. Don't forget that the crux of our case is the illegal and/or unauthorized copying of our content - and we are using the Trademark law as the basis for the suit. We could also add copyright infringement if we ever needed to or wanted to ammend our complaints, but Trademark is easier and "neater" with larger statutory fines.

Extremely interesting stuff! And I see some of the points mentioned (in the 72 page document) do apply to the same information that I've found in the filed documents to the Arizona cases... here's just a few:

See? I haven't totally been speak out of my @$$ on here. I've done my fair share of research regarding trademark and copyright.
The trademark and copyright controversy here was nothing new to me, and I've come to my conclusions about trademark law, copyright law, and the extortion that some holders use to to extract payments from those they feel are in violation quite honestly.
The links I posted I found several years ago, long before I ever heard of these forums and the SC lawsuits, and I chose to share them here because it seems that the research done was, for the most part, sound and the site owner has extensive personal experience fighting exactly the same kind of threats and lawsuits that we are speaking of here.

Back