What's new

Need Winter dinner ideas

Good old split pea soup is one of our favorites, even all my kids. Honestly, you can follow the directions on the bag and throw it in the slow cooker. As long as you have a ham bone in there, it's almost foolproof and it smells so very good when it's cold outside.

Good old split pea soup is one of our favorites, even all my kids. Honestly, you can follow the directions on the bag and throw it in the slow cooker. As long as you have a ham bone in there, it's almost foolproof and it smells so very good when it's cold outside.

I don't know how everyone else cook split pea soup.

I just wash the split pea, throw them into the slow cooker with 2 cup of ham cubes and stock from ham bones.

When Jewel had a ham deal during holidays (Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas), I got a few hams. I sliced the ham and cut into small cubes, freeze them. I used the ham cubes for soups and Asian fried rice. The bones are throw into a stock pot and simmer for a couple of hours to make stock.

I don't know how everyone else cook split pea soup.

I just wash the split pea, throw them into the slow cooker with 2 cup of ham cubes and stock from ham bones.

When Jewel had a ham deal during holidays (Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas), I got a few hams. I sliced the ham and cut into small cubes, freeze them. I used the ham cubes for soups and Asian fried rice. The bones are throw into a stock pot and simmer for a couple of hours to make stock.

I usually throw in an onion or two, garlic and some carrots. Celery if I have it on hand. Sometimes water, sometimes chicken stock. Believe it or not, some nutmeg tastes nice, too.

beef stew and chili are two things I've been thinking about making

I have a cream cheese chicken recipe done in the crockpot. It is so creamy and yummy!
Cream cheese chicken

1 .7-ounce envelope of Italian dressing mix
½ cup butter
2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast
1 10.75-ounce can of cream of chicken soup
1 8-ounce package of cream cheese

Turn slow cooker on high. Place butter in bottom of slow cooker. When the butter has melted, add one envelope Italian dressing dry mix. Stir into butter until well mixed. Cut chicken breasts into 1†strips. Place in slow cooker and stir to coat with butter and dressing mix. Cover and cook on high for 2 hours. Remove chicken to plate to cool. Add cream of chicken soup and cream cheese. Stir to melt and mix well until smooth and creamy

You can freeze it too! It comes out just as good.

Had this for dinner last night and it's yummy! DS had seconds and DH asked if there was enough left over for his lunch

I love homemade sloppy joes, but, I can't seem to get anyone to give me their recipe. I like it a little sweet. Anyone have a good one??

I have made this a few times and from what I remember its pretty good....Rachel Rays, Super Sloppy Joes http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/super-sloppy-joes-recipe/index.html

• <LI class=ingredient>1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, 1 turn of the pan <LI class=ingredient>1 1/4 pounds ground beef sirloin <LI class=ingredient>1/4 cup brown sugar <LI class=ingredient>2 teaspoons to 1 tablespoon steak seasoning blend, such as McCormick brand Montreal Seasoning <LI class=ingredient>1 medium onion, chopped <LI class=ingredient>1 small red bell pepper, chopped <LI class=ingredient>1 tablespoon red wine vinegar <LI class=ingredient>1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce <LI class=ingredient>2 cups tomato sauce <LI class=ingredient>2 tablespoons tomato paste <LI class=ingredient>4 crusty rolls, split, toasted, and lightly buttered
  • Garnish: sliced ripe tomatoes, pickles, Deviled Potato Salad, recipe follows
Directions

Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add oil and meat to the pan. Spread the meat around the pan and begin to break it up. Combine brown sugar and steak seasoning. Add sugar and spice mixture to the skillet and combine. When the meat has browned, add onion and red peppers to the skillet. Reduce heat to medium and cook onions, peppers, red wine vinegar and Worcestershire sauce with meat for 5 minutes. Add tomato sauce and paste to pan. Stir to combine. Reduce heat to simmer and cook Sloppy Joe mixture 5 minutes longer. Using a large spoon or ice cream scoop, pile sloppy meat onto toasted, buttered bun bottoms and cover with bun tops. Serve with your favorite sides or sliced tomatoes seasoned with salt and pepper, dill pickles and Deviled Potato Salad. Have plenty of napkins on hand!

I usually throw in an onion or two, garlic and some carrots. Celery if I have it on hand. Sometimes water, sometimes chicken stock. Believe it or not, some nutmeg tastes nice, too.

I make split pea soup like this, except without the ham to flavor it (I don't eat pork). Tastes great to me. I serve it with a salad and homemade bread.

I love homemade sloppy joes, but, I can't seem to get anyone to give me their recipe. I like it a little sweet. Anyone have a good one??

1 lb of ground beef
3/4 cup of ketchup
1/4 onion
1/4 cup of green pepper
1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
1 teaspoon of mustard
3 tablespoons of brown sugar

Very easy. Brown meat then add all ingredients and let simmer for about 20 minutes. VERY GOOD!!!

I make "Panera's" Broc Cheddar Soup. I got the recipe on Food Network.com

So easy and tastes yummy. My family likes my version better than the resturant. Maybe because I puree it and it very creamy.

And don't forget the Smoked Ham Hock when making your stock for split pea soup.....mmmmm!

I made the most amazing and oh-so-simple chicken last night. It came from:

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/ (the blog has been mentioned here before.)

I made the Herb Garden Chicken (simplified) and just stuffed some fresh rosemary sprigs and parsley into the chickens' (I made 2) patootie and rubbed it all over w/parmesean cheese. It smelled amazing and I couldn't wait to have cold leftovers today for lunch. The carcasses should make for some yummy soup, too!

LOVE my crock pot when the weather turns chilly.

I have a cream cheese chicken recipe done in the crockpot. It is so creamy and yummy!
Cream cheese chicken

1 .7-ounce envelope of Italian dressing mix
½ cup butter
2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast
1 10.75-ounce can of cream of chicken soup
1 8-ounce package of cream cheese

Turn slow cooker on high. Place butter in bottom of slow cooker. When the butter has melted, add one envelope Italian dressing dry mix. Stir into butter until well mixed. Cut chicken breasts into 1†strips. Place in slow cooker and stir to coat with butter and dressing mix. Cover and cook on high for 2 hours. Remove chicken to plate to cool. Add cream of chicken soup and cream cheese. Stir to melt and mix well until smooth and creamy

You can freeze it too! It comes out just as good.

got this cooking as we speak...smells so good...what do you serve it over...rice...alone....pasta?

We had it by itself but I had some of the leftover over a baked potato. Think it would be yummy over noodles.

I also threw in some mixed veggies and it was kinda like a potpie.

**** on the Shingle!!!

http://www.food-rules.com/Recipes/****%20ON%20THE%20SHINGLE.htm

My mom used to make this but with hamburger...We were the only ones in the family who liked it. Over toast with pepper...yummmmm

**** on the Shingle!!!

http://www.food-rules.com/Recipes/**** ON THE SHINGLE.htm

Love **** on a Shingle...we call it chipped beef...lol...this is my recipe

8oz beef cut up (use the Buddings beef packets and cut into small squares)
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup flour
4 cups milk
salt and pepper to taste

Melt butter. Add beef and cook till ends curl. Add flour and cook a few minutes till flour is all absorbed and flour is a little cooked. Add pepper, mix in milk and bring to a boil. Simmer till desired consistancy. Serve over toast.

I dont get to make it often cause DH does not like it...but it is craved by my whole family!!!

Love **** on a Shingle...we call it chipped beef...lol...this is my recipe

8oz beef cut up (use the Buddings beef packets and cut into small squares)
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup flour
4 cups milk
salt and pepper to taste

Melt butter. Add beef and cook till ends curl. Add flour and cook a few minutes till flour is all absorbed and flour is a little cooked. Add pepper, mix in milk and bring to a boil. Simmer till desired consistancy. Serve over toast.

I dont get to make it often cause DH does not like it...but it is craved by my whole family!!!

Yup!

Use pork sausage instead or ground beef, ground turkey, pepperoni...whatever.

Also great over egg noodles & bisquits.

Back