What's new

Officially Certified

..including piracy.

The "certificate" says you bought some discs - it makes no warranty about what you are doing with them.

There is nothing to prevent someone with a "certificate" from duplicating the material for an undisclosed practice. They are worthless with regard to the very purpose you claim they are issued.

No one had ever said it was "warranty" against piracy, but I think the ones that have been ceritfied so far are above that and the "certificate" is their proclamation that they will not go down that path.

1. Certified is simply that. Verified legal library to the standards that Chartbuster has set.

Absolutely not. "Certified" means they have a record of you buying something or looked at some of your discs. It syas nothing about how you are using or abusing them.

The mods should go ahead and ban me for baiting. I knew when I posted this the "haters" would chime in with their negative comments.

"haters?" I find it amazing that because there are some that don't subscribe and will not blindly accept the same BS that that the cheerleaders are so willing gobble up from the manufacturers, they are now "haters."

As club owners become more educated(and they will) about whats illegal and whats not, being certified will be a must if you want to keep a steady karaoke gig.

I doubt it because the number of lawsuits against SC and the lack of copyright registrations "filed through the proper channels" on the part of CB isn't going to boost their image now is it?

Mr Staley, In the future a certified KJ is going to have the edge on the non-certified KJ- MARK MY WORD

If you believe that, you're deeper in the manufacturer manure bin than even I thought. Gee, maybe I should see if Sears will give me a "certification" for my genuine "Diehard" battery... or General Electric will certify my refrigerator, Briggs & Stratton can certify the motor on my lawn mower....

I'll have so many "certifications" that I'll have to buy frames for them at the dollar store.... of course the dollar store will have to certify that I bought them there too....

Yes you are right there is nothing but that persons integrity to stop them from duplicating. Some people have some others don't it is a personal choice that each has to make.

I agree... It's like someone claiming to have integrity and a "pristine" library when in reality, magic tracks for which they own no disc are discovered in their songbook and being used a year later. And that is apparently okay, because CB's "certification" will allow a 5% "piracy rate" if you read their certification.... it's only good for 95% anyway.

I'm sorry Chip but he is completely correct. If you want to continue working in bars down the road you will have to show you are certified to be employed there, but you may also just be able to show your discs as well to achieve the same goal, but wouldn't it just be easier to show a couple certificates?

I don't even see the line you are reffering too. No blur to me.

Quite the opposite; the line is so blurred, you can't even see the line at all.

1. Certified is simply that. Verified legal library to the standards that Chartbuster has set.

And even those standards are NOT 100% are they? Priceless.

2. To be "more professional" should be really renamed "better quality". Those of us that receive payment for our services (regardless of how good or bad our presentations are of how legal or non-legal our libraries are) are professional since that is a true defination of the word. If "more professional" = "more money", then I am there.

This "certification" has no relation to "more professional" it has no relation to "better quality" it means nothing.

N-O-TH-I-N-G

You sound like someone who has purchased an Edsel. You bought it and now you'll defend your purchase forever rather than admit you made a mistake. This "certification" is nothing more than a lollipop-flavored pacifier... as long as you enjoy the flavor you'll be quiet about it and tell everyone how yummy it is....

Absolutely not. "Certified" means they have a record of you buying something or looked at some of your discs. It syas nothing about how you are using or abusing them.

I have all the disc regardless of how I aquired them (didn't have to proof of purchase aka reciepts). Chartbuster doesn't care where I bought them or accuried them. OMG, they do have a record of the ones I purchase in their retail store! Now what?

I never said "certified" had anything as to how I choose to use or "abuse them" the discs and the data that is attached to them. Regardless of how you choose to villify the audit process or the end result is not EVER going to change my opinion or to diminish the level of integrity I and other have chosen to maintain.

To go back to the OP, Congratulations to all that have stepped up and recieved their Certificates.

I'm sorry Chip but he is completely correct. If you want to continue working in bars down the road you will have to show you are certified to be employed there, but you may also just be able to show your discs as well to achieve the same goal, but wouldn't it just be easier to show a couple certificates?

You are welcome to fall for this ruse as well, but I'd suggest you ask your club owner for their "certification" that the beer they sell really came from budweiser and see how far that gets you.

This is karaoke.... not Carnegie Hall. Amazing how you'll sit back and gleefully accept whatever the manufacturers tell you that you should HAVE between YOU AND YOUR customer. Why don't you "certify" the manufacturer(s) by having them PROVE that the tracks they sold to you are LICENSED in the first place?... or at the least 95% of the tracks.

You'll blindly let them tell you what to do when you won't require AT THE VERY LEAST the very same requirements on them that they require on you.

Quite the opposite; the line is so blurred, you can't even see the line at all.

And even those standards are NOT 100% are they? Priceless.

This "certification" has no relation to "more professional" it has no relation to "better quality" it means nothing.

N-O-TH-I-N-G

You sound like someone who has purchased an Edsel. You bought it and now you'll defend your purchase forever rather than admit you made a mistake. This "certification" is nothing more than a lollipop-flavored pacifier... as long as you enjoy the flavor you'll be quiet about it and tell everyone how yummy it is....

100% of what?

I never said the "certification" had anything to do with any level of quality or professionalism and I have maintained that in several prior post.

Again, just one more time, My library of Chartbuster CDGs has been audited to show that the songs listed in my songbook are on a factory produced (oem) disc. I satisified their requirement therefore I got a gold star (certificate) from them.

rumbolt said:
100% of what?

I never said the "certification" had anything to do with any level of quality or professionalism and I have maintained that in several prior post.
You didn't read the certificate? Even that states the certification is for 95% not even a "100% certified" but you've swallowed that little gem so deeply you skipped right over that didn't you?

Glad you're not a restaurant with the same high standards.. I can see a similar certification; "We're 95% CERTIFIED BUG-FREE."

You simply will not see that your "certificate" means nothing. And that's okay.

rumbolt said:
Again, just one more time, My library of Chartbuster CDGs has been audited to show that the songs listed in my songbook are on a factory produced (oem) disc. I satisified their requirement therefore I got a gold star (certificate) from them.

Correct that to read: "95% of the songs in your songbook."

Enjoy your "gold star" you'll sleep better at nappy time.

You didn't read the certificate? Even that states the certification is for 95% not even a "100% certified" but you've swallowed that little gem so deeply you skipped right over that didn't you?

Glad you're not a restaurant with the same high standards.. I can see a similar certification; "We're 95% CERTIFIED BUG-FREE."

You simply will not see that your "certificate" means nothing. And that's okay.

Correct that to read: "95% of the songs in your songbook."

Enjoy your "gold star" you'll sleep better at nappy time.

Thank you. I'll enjoy it all I want. lol

I don't about you guys but the bar owners I know aren't going to bother looking for certificates. Heck most of the ones I know are to cheap to run background checks on their employees. Perhaps other parts of the country have a better class of owners?

As for this certification thing, finally something Chip and I agree on. Not to be a 'hater' or anti-CB/SC/BS but this wouldn't be worth the paper it's printed on to me. It's not the bar owners job to police/enforce your copyrights. Will a couple of bar owners fall for this certification program hook, line, and sinker? Yes sir however the vast majority will just ignore it.

Chip,

Truly, whatever it is, it is a start.

You can be snide and scoff.

The concept you can't seem to grasp is:

There is NO oversight on the KJ side of this industry. There are almost no standards for KJ's anywhere.

It isn't about anyone being gullible. It is about distinguishing the legitimate, professional KJ from those who aren't.

It is a start.

It is apparent to me that you believe the certificates to be worthless. Your comments referring to lollipops and nappy time indicate your sarcastic condescending attitude that the certificates are childish. I would say that is typical of you. You contribute nothing to the thread, you just ridicule and play the antagonist. You are very consistent and predictable.

Food for thought: (sorry for the hi-jack -- this is from another thread, but I believe it to be relevant)

Someone who is neither a cheerleader nor an advocate for the status quo actually asked some very pertinent questions. Let's see if you can grasp the overall concept by comprehending the context in which the issue is being discussed...

KJSandman, several times now you have referred to the "vetting" process now being offered by CB and SC. By using the term vetting, I get the impression that quite an extensive and thorough investigation into one's background, expertise and knowledge of the Karaoke industry, and so on must have been preformed. I am also assuming that it must have included more than simply verifying a 1:1 compliancy, or the term "Audit" would suffice.
Can anyone who has been through this process take a minute to answer a few questions for me?

-Of course, I am sure they checked your discs.
-Was any kind of background investigation necessary? Criminal history check? Credit check?
-Is there a certain amount of experience required being a kj/dj before the manufacturers will give thier blessing to use thier product professionally?
-Any proof of ability to operate various different types of sound equipment?
-Do they make sure that the potential candidate has the required personality to be a successful KJ?
-Are references from past venues necessary? References from any of your current singers?

The certificates, the audits, the covenants, the contracts, they are all pieces of the infrastructure that will eventually lead to standards and, hopefully, organization and oversight.

Big Joe manages to point out that "vetting process" seems to be insubstantial because there are other questions relating to vetting a KJ that would require established standards as well. He does this with respect and civility, two qualities that you seem to be utterly lacking.

The certificates are a start. Things have to change. There are those of us who believe that it is no longer acceptable to merely state that you are a KJ. A standard has to be set. Mfr's certification of your library is easy enough. Volunteer to meet a minimum standard, what have you got to lose? Do you have anything constructive to contribute? How about using your knowledge and experience to help define a minimum standard for KJ's to be "professional". My expectations for your reply lie somewhere between disappointing and dismal.

What it means is that in time these certificates will be required by venues to allow a KJ to work, I would love to see the same thing happen on the DJ side as well!

Good for you!

Ok... ok.... ok I've finally stoped laughing... no wait.... Ok now I'm done...:laughpill:

Chip,

Truly, whatever it is, it is a start.

You can be snide and scoff.

The concept you can't seem to grasp is:

There is NO oversight on the KJ side of this industry. There are almost no standards for KJ's anywhere.

It isn't about anyone being gullible. It is about distinguishing the legitimate, professional KJ from those who aren't.

It is a start.

It is apparent to me that you believe the certificates to be worthless. Your comments referring to lollipops and nappy time indicate your sarcastic condescending attitude that the certificates are childish. I would say that is typical of you. You contribute nothing to the thread, you just ridicule and play the antagonist. You are very consistent and predictable.

Excuse me? Who was that likened it to a "Gold Star?" Rumbolt, thank you very much. And you can't be serious when you are grasping at something substantial to attribute this worthless certificate to. Do you really think the clubs will care? C'mon - get serious here. All the crap you're spouting (covenants, contracts, audits, safe harbor, certificates etc.) will do MORE to KILL this business than anything else. Why would a club owner want to deal with all this junk? Easier just to find a different kind of entertainment period.

Food for thought: (sorry for the hi-jack -- this is from another thread, but I believe it to be relevant)

Someone who is neither a cheerleader nor an advocate for the status quo actually asked some very pertinent questions. Let's see if you can grasp the overall concept by comprehending the context in which the issue is being discussed...

By all means.... lets....

The certificates, the audits, the covenants, the contracts, they are all pieces of the infrastructure that will eventually lead to standards and, hopefully, organization and oversight.

Organization by whom? The manufacturers? Because if you'll fall for it, they'll be happy to lead you around and tell you what to buy from them, how to buy it, how to use it once you've paid for it, what you can't do with it, who you can work for and when you should buy more. They will be happy to take control of your business. (Read your Gem contract about your "quality of services")

Big Joe manages to point out that "vetting process" seems to be insubstantial because there are other questions relating to vetting a KJ that would require established standards as well. He does this with respect and civility, two qualities that you seem to be utterly lacking.

I'd like to think of it more as my simple refusal to "sugarcoat reality." But if you'd feel more comfortable if I simply frame everything with frilly words and superficial diplomacy, I'll have to take that under consideration....

The certificates are a start. Things have to change. There are those of us who believe that it is no longer acceptable to merely state that you are a KJ. A standard has to be set. Mfr's certification of your library is easy enough. Volunteer to meet a minimum standard, what have you got to lose?

Your precious manufacturers are NOT willing to meet a similar "minimum standard" and they'll quickly remind you that their business is NOT your business and for some reason, you don't have a problem with that? You want to have minimum standards for KJ's... set by which UNBIASED group? (there isn't one)

Do you have anything constructive to contribute?

Careful.... you're starting to sound like Thunder. Simply because you don't agree with my views and you have your own --as you should-- doesn't make my contributions any LESS constructive than yours or any of the cheerleaders. And, in the same breath, simply because someone doesn't agree with SC or any other manufacturer's tactics doesn't make them a "hater" either.

How about using your knowledge and experience to help define a minimum standard for KJ's to be "professional". My expectations for your reply lie somewhere between disappointing and dismal.

You're expectations have already been defined then haven't they? It wouldn't matter what type of response I would propose -- unless I completely agreed with you and the others -- you'll be "disappointed" and it's simply a self-fulfilling prophesy. Good luck with that.

You can be snide and scoff. The concept you can't seem to grasp is:

It is almost entirely about gullibility. There is already a very efficient means to separate legitimte professionals from corner cutting hacks - but, you're in denial and don't want to face reality.

It begins with the venues selected, the plan laid out, and ultimatley the compensation being sought.

It is apparent to me that you believe the certificates to be worthless. ...sarcastic condescending attitude that the certificates are childish.

Indeed. I agree with that perception, and would further suggest that it is childish for any KJ to believe that their situation is anythig other than what they have created for themself.

I'll say it and you can ask to have me banned: If you're a $250 KJ waiting for something other your own credibility to improve your lot then you are the problem not a victim.

Let's see if you can grasp the overall concept by comprehending the context in which the issue is being discussed...

Your context is anchored entirely upon one word: "Hopefully"

"Hope" is not a business principle. Yet, it certainly explains why so many fo you are willing to stand still and wait for change to come from somewhere else.

The certificates are a start. Things have to change.

I disagree. It is clear that the certificate represents nothing more susbstantial than "hope." The only thing that needs to change is you. However, the cheerleaders seem to be unwilling or incapable of making changes that matter, and are stuck "hoping" for something or someone else to lift them up.

Chip,

You seem to have an interesting negative take on everything. Perhaps reading what it actually says would be of some help to you.

The really neat thing is that the certificate says KARAOKE LIBRARY CERTIFIED BY CHARTBUSTER

I understand that it is the process that you don't like (audits) but it is the future of being a karaoke host and within a couple of years those that want to work will have to show that they actually own what they are using.

Just a side note - I kind of got away from the forum - but still drift in and out - I too got a little tired of some of the negativity, cynicism, and the occasional "know it all" attitudes - Hey - We have to be nice to our customers, - let's be nice to our fellow KJ's too - Oh, and one more thing:
"Merry Christmas" :wubpill:

I agree... It's like someone claiming to have integrity and a "pristine" library when in reality, magic tracks for which they own no disc are discovered in their songbook and being used a year later. And that is apparently okay, because CB's "certification" will allow a 5% "piracy rate" if you read their certification.... it's only good for 95% anyway.

I am 100% certified (every disc is accounted for and for every song in my book match to a disc in my collection) so it doesn't get better than that! My library is "pristine" and I DO have integrity.

Magic tricks might be how you would perceive it be done but how would you know Since you have Never met anyone that has been through the audit you are assuming that they lack integrity. Since you are able to predict the future, can you please supply me with the winning numbers for the Power Ball Lottery, please.

I disagree. It is clear that the certificate represents nothing more susbstantial than "hope." The only thing that needs to change is you. However, the cheerleaders seem to be unwilling or incapable of making changes that matter, and are stuck "hoping" for something or someone else to lift them up.

I am still trying to figure out what change by the kjs you are refering to? Don't tell me I need to sell my business and promote a union with the bar so they will see a increase in revenue to improve their bottom line. You don't know what most of us do to promote our businesses unless you are following each one of around. You really have no clue and you do nothing more than insult anyone that doesnot agree with your bla bla bla. Prob get banned for this but I am now at my wit end with all the self proclaimed experts that slam anyone trying to clean up our industry (if only by 10%).

Pro or anyone else reading this,

You need to get a grip. Oh BTW, there isn't anything I have ever said on this forum that I would not say to anyones face so I'd welcome a face to face meeting to continue our discussions.

Back