What's new

So what are you thinking now? New thread!

OK, I googled. WEATHER.COM started naming them. (I always check weather.com and didn't know not everyone is doing it) ROFL

here is an article I found when I googled why?

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/twcs-plan-to-name-winter-storm/83168

The Weather Channel announced Tuesday that they planned to start naming winter storms, similar to how the National Weather Service names tropical systems. Why?
"-Naming a storm raises awareness.
-Attaching a name makes it much easier to follow a weather system’s progress.
-A storm with a name takes on a personality all its own, which adds to awareness.
-In today’s social media world, a name makes it much easier to reference in communication.
-A named storm is easier to remember and refer to in the future."

This year apparently, google it.

Makes them SCARIER!! OH ****! THEY NAMED this!!!!!!!

I dunno - I think things like "snowmageddon" are scarier than Magnus. (I went to a high school called Albertus Magnus for one year. Just thought I'd share.)

OK, I googled. WEATHER.COM started naming them. (I always check weather.com and didn't know not everyone is doing it) ROFL

here is an article I found when I googled why?

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/twcs-plan-to-name-winter-storm/83168

The Weather Channel announced Tuesday that they planned to start naming winter storms, similar to how the National Weather Service names tropical systems. Why?
"-Naming a storm raises awareness.
-Attaching a name makes it much easier to follow a weather system’s progress.
-A storm with a name takes on a personality all its own, which adds to awareness.
-In today’s social media world, a name makes it much easier to reference in communication.
-A named storm is easier to remember and refer to in the future."

Thanks for the summary Barb. I'm too sleepy to read an entire article. :giggles:

So basically it's a publicity stunt by the Weather Channel. Attention seeking ****s.

WELL, it worked.

TWICE this winter I turned to someone in the room and said "****!! There is a NAMED storm on the 'East Coast. Sorry for those folks!!"

Facebook keeps suggesting that I become a fan of "Eric Cantor is a ****bag." This whole thing where the computer algorithm learns about you over time is sometimes really creepy...

I thought she had just given it a pet name.

naming-winter-storms_650x366.photoblog600.jpg

Who knew?

Although Nemo - I don't think that qualifies as a good storm name. But then neither does Yogi.

Hmm - guess they have more meanings than cartoon characters

During the upcoming 2012-13 winter season The Weather Channel will name noteworthy winter storms. Below is our list of names, along with some information about the origins of the names.
Athena: The Greek goddess of wisdom, courage, inspirations, justice, mathematics and all things wonderful.
Brutus: Roman Senator and best known assassin of Julius Caesar.
Caesar: Title used by Roman and Byzantine emperors.
Draco: The first legislator of Athens in Ancient Greece.
Euclid: A mathematician in Ancient Greece, the father of geometry.
Freyr: A Norse god associated with fair weather, among other things.
Gandolf: A character in a 1896 fantasy novel in a pseudo-medieval countryside.
Helen: In Greek mythology, Helen of Troy was the daughter of Zeus.
Iago: Enemy of Othello in Shakespeare’s play, Othello.
Jove: The English name for Jupiter, the Roman god of light and sky.
Khan: Mongolian conqueror and emperor of the Mongol empire.
Luna: The divine embodiment of the moon in Roman mythology.
Magnus: The Father of Europe, Charlemagne the Great, in Latin: Carolus Magnus.
Nemo: A Greek boy’s name meaning "from the valley," means "nobody" in Latin.
Orko: The thunder god in Basque mythology.
Plato: Greek philosopher and mathematician, who was named by his wrestling coach.
Q: The Broadway Express subway line in New York City.
Rocky: A single mountain in the Rockies.
Saturn: Roman god of time, also the namesake of the planet Saturn in our solar system.
Triton: In Greek mythology, the messenger of the deep sea, son of Poseidon.
Ukko: In Finnish mythology, the god of the sky and weather.
Virgil: One of ancient Rome’s greatest poets.
Walda: Name from Old German meaning “ruler.”
Xerxes: The fourth king of the Persian Achaemenid Empire, Xerxes the Great.
Yogi: People who do yoga.
Zeus: In Greek mythology, the supreme ruler of Mount Olympus and the gods who lived there.

I think that they are much too all over the map (pun intended) with the name meanings. Should have picked one theme and stuck with it.

That is the craziest list of names. And what - Q? Really?
And how did "Helen" make the list? All of the other names are odd & seemingly male and then there's Helen.

Crazy ****s.

OK, so Magnus IS a winter storm. Suddenly Toger's post is all so clear!!

That is the craziest list of names. And what - Q? Really?
And how did "Helen" make the list? All of the other names are odd & seemingly male and then there's Helen.

Crazy ****s.

My step Grandmother that mostly hated me was named Helen.:flowers::flowers:

They have a theme, it is James Bond.

Q is the guy who makes all the awesome gadgets.

Dh had a friend on FB mention the song "Comfortably Numb." Dh was not familiar with it and asked if I was. As it used to one of my favorite songs I had to get out The Wall and listen. I forgot how much I really adore this album. Of course, dh is looking at me like I've grown another head...:lol:

Dh had a friend on FB mention the song "Comfortably Numb." Dh was not familiar with it and asked if I was. As it used to one of my favorite songs I had to get out The Wall and listen. I forgot how much I really adore this album. Of course, dh is looking at me like I've grown another head...:lol:

I was watching a video of Pink Floyd the other night. My 8 year old niece said they were dumb. I told her don't ever say that in this house (I grew up listening to it). I told my brother what she said, he had a shocked look on his face and told her that her music was dumb (think Justin Bieber and all of those other similar ones)

Kids in school.... check...
hubby at work... check..
room mate at work.. check
breakfast eaten.. check...
I don't HAVE to go anywhere until 2 pm to pick my kids up from school... I do believe I am going BACK TO BED! Shhhhh no one call me please!

All this talk about naps is making me tired. :surrender:

The sun is out! :bliss: Still windy but not too cold - yet.

All this talk about naps is making me tired. :surrender:

The sun is out! :bliss: Still windy but not too cold - yet.
What is this thing, the sun? :surrender:

Windy as a near hurricane here, been blowing in the 50-65 mph range since the middle of the night. Tons of tree branches down, my newly empty trash & recycle barrels blown all over.

Glad I still have power, there are lots of outages.

I was pretty surprised to see that big bright ball in the sky.

The crazy winds didn't seem to start here until around 5am. It woke me up and it sounded like something was gonna come crashing through the windows at any second.

They kept talking about thunder storms but as far as I know, we didn't get that.

Low 30's with flurries tomorrow.

Cold front came thru this morning!!!!! Dropped from 70 to currently 63

Getting Ready for the First Challenge for my older three kids, they are gonna hate me :)

February Challenge: Operation Clutter Control
Beds and Clutter

The Goal:
--Make your bed every morning
--Keep clutter off of floors, desks, dressers, etc. (bedroom & bathroom)

The Benefits:
--It will teach you responsibility
--It will make you better citizens
--It will build your self-esteem
--I won’t have to do it myself or look at it anymore!!

The Plan:
-Each of you will start with $28 in your jar.
-I will check your beds, bedrooms and bathrooms at 8am on school days and 9am on weekends/non-school days.
-If your bed is unmade or clutter is found, I will take $1 from your jar.
-At the end of the month, any money left in your jar is yours to keep.

Back