What's new

The Confabulation Thread - Part 2

Good evening everyone! Hope everyone's day has been going good.

Ahhh! I'm pissed. I accidentally broke my tablet's screen and now I have to buy a new digitizer off eBay, since I can't find it anywhere here. It will take at least a month to get here :( And I was just catching up on Breaking Bad (I'm on season 3 right now) - what an amazing series! Please don't spoil any details! :p

Sorry for the double post, but I wanted to mention I figured out a way to play HD videos on my netbook. Can't believe it actually worked! I read a bunch of guides last year when I had downloaded an HD video and couldn't play it smoothly even on VLC but nothing worked, and gave up. I even asked for help on another forum and, after trying many things, the guy who was helping me out told me my netbook didn't have the required specs to play HD videos.

This guide, however, worked: http://www.pcpro.co.uk/blogs/2010/02/18/how-to-play-hd-video-on-a-netbook/

The CoreAVC codec is paid (costs $9.99 according to that page), but you're low on cash or just want to see if it works (it may not), it's also available on torrent sites. Not leaving any links in case it's against the rules.

Oh, and by the way - if you haven't watched Breaking Bad, you definitely should! It's the most well-written series I have ever watched.

Sorry for the double post, but I wanted to mention I figured out a way to play HD videos on my netbook. Can't believe it actually worked! I read a bunch of guides last year when I had downloaded an HD video and couldn't play it smoothly even on VLC but nothing worked, and gave up. I even asked for help on another forum and, after trying many things, the guy who was helping me out told me my netbook didn't have the required specs to play HD videos.

This guide, however, worked: http://www.pcpro.co.uk/blogs/2010/02/18/how-to-play-hd-video-on-a-netbook/

The CoreAVC codec is paid (costs $9.99 according to that page), but you're low on cash or just want to see if it works (it may not), it's also available on torrent sites. Not leaving any links in case it's against the rules.

Oh, and by the way - if you haven't watched Breaking Bad, you definitely should! It's the most well-written series I have ever watched.
Did you try K-Lite Codecs?

The CoreAVC codec is paid (costs $9.99 according to that page),

The article even calls $9.99 a "princely sum" which is sort of ridiculous taken that such codec packs cover the licensing fees for patented codecs.

Microsoft themselves offer paid codec packs to users of low-price versions of their own operating systems.

There's another trusted source for codec packs, which is Fluendo which is well-known for providing paid codecs to users of Linux distributions. They also have codecs and playback software for Windows users. Their prices are a bit higher, but once you purchased a license for one platform, you can download versions for any other platform without any additional charges. This can be useful if you're using both Linux and Windows. (EDIT: Their Moovida product is now on a separate web page )

The article even calls $9.99 a "princely sum" which is sort of ridiculous taken that such codec packs cover the licensing fees for patented codecs.

Microsoft themselves offer paid codec packs to users of low-price versions of their own operating systems.

There's another trusted source for codec packs, which is Fluendo which is well-known for providing paid codecs to users of Linux distributions. They also have codecs and playback software for Windows users. Their prices are a bit higher, but once you purchased a license for one platform, you can download versions for any other platform without any additional charges. This can be useful if you're using both Linux and Windows. (EDIT: Their Moovida product is now on a separate web page )

Thanks! I'll look into the Fluendo codecs. The CoreAVC one has been working fine, but I do get some stuttering and out-of-sync audio from time to time. I know I can't ask for so much using a netbook, but maybe some other codec will do an even better job.

Thanks! I'll look into the Fluendo codecs. The CoreAVC one has been working fine, but I do get some stuttering and out-of-sync audio from time to time. I know I can't ask for so much using a netbook, but maybe some other codec will do an even better job.

You're welcome, I hope it helps (and I hope they still have their codec packs for Windows up, before purchasing, you might want to send them an e-mail to ask if they're still available. They used to display all platforms available).

You also need to update your system drivers by downloading the latest drivers from the hardware manufacturer's websites. This way you can get the most out of it (before that, you might also want to install all Windows updates available for your version of Windows).

Technically, a netbook is not a slow machine, they're incredibly powerful computers, especially if you compare them with gear available like 10 years ago.

I'm using netbook type hardware as my desktop PC (Zotec ZBox ID41 or 42) as a power-saving measure, and it blazingly fast with Linux (using Ubuntu w/ NVidia drivers) and Windows (Windows 8) most of the time. If you use Windows 8, you'll need no extra codecs. I'm using the Fluendo codecs with Ubuntu. I work from home and do all my work on Linux so I'm using this machine practically all day every day, and some things are faster than even on the power-cosuming mini tower that I used to have. Only problem are some CPU intensive applications, since my Atom Quadcore CPU (2 physical cores w/ HT) has only tiny caches. But video need not be CPU intensive if you have proper drivers and codecs which handle most of the work on the GPU (mine has an NVidia ION chipset). Especially if you have NVidia, make sure that VDPAU is installed and working in accelerated mode (libvdpau on Linux), this provides hardware acceleration to some often used video functions.

Happy Easter everyone!
Likewise! Time to decorate some eggs!

server

Back