What's new

TUESDAY'S Storm...

Re: Thursdays storm

District 60 put the call out around 6 late start too.

And it got me thinking how MODERN we are....heated cars, heated buses....thermalined coats, mittens...snow proof snow boots...etc...

and in the midwest we still get late starts for 3-5 inches of snow?

Prairie folks...we are not. Laura Ingalls would be ashamed of us. @@
:shesaid:
I saw the scroll on the 5 p.m. channel 7 news and it hadn't even started snowing. Thinking only 3-5 inches of snow & they need a 2 hr delay, really????

So why shouldn't he show up? :dunce: :flowers:Assuming its a normal job where he only gets paid for the hours he works which is fair. (Weather.com says just 3-5 inches for your area :) ) Opening late should only apply to the kids you would think? If they are expecting DH to get there on time not on the clock and not get paid for that time, that would be wrong of course.

fyi, I never wanted the job to close/close early etc for weather, since then you had to either take a vacation day/hours or go without pay. It's not the employers fault of course for the weather, it was/is totally fair but not what I wanted, would rather stick it out work and earn my keep. :)

Actually he doesn't get paid by the hour. Far from it. He starts at 7:15 and then if officially "done" at 3:30. Then there's the hours of afterschool work. He generally goes to bed around 10:30 after spending his evening grading labs, planning for his week and talking to his students about homework issues. His day is usually about 16 hours. And no, he doesn't get paid over the summer for doing nothing. They take his school days and divide his pay out over 365 days. He has a summer teaching job. For the government and that pays per hour. The point of having a late start is so everyone can get to school safely. DH lives 45 minutes from his school. As a teacher he cannot afford to live in Naperville, so he commutes. Hard to arrive safely when you are driving 45 minutes across slippery roads that haven't been plowed yet at 5:30 a.m. All so you can arrive by your start time of 7:15 and await your students who drive across the street at 10 a.m. Ridiculous.

Well, I was hoping for a late start BeCAUSE of 18 inches of snow- even a foot would have been nice! We got a whopping 2 inches up here by the WI border. Oh, why do I get my hopes up! :-(

Perfect amount of snow. Lex can go out and play, but really not that much.

my kids high school had a late start, over 50 % of the student population drives to school ( private High School) I dont know about you but I prefer not having all those teenagers on the street in less then ideal conditions when I am driving to work..

Wow, what a little difference some snow can make.

I usually have a heck of a time getting my kids fed, dressed, and out the door in order to catch the bus at 8:00. Today they were both fed, dressed, had their boots on, and out the door by 7:40 because they wanted to play in the snow before the bus came!!!

DH has already gotten the email that IF dist. 203 opens late he is expected to be there on time............wtf?

Is that because they need teachers there in case kids show up--or so that they can make plans to cover teachers that were stuck? I know i heard some teachers talking, and they all had back up plans--they said that the teachers were to arrive on time IN case people who worked sent their kids anyway--because they did not have any other choice---

You know, everyone who works has to go to work, even if there is snow.

Teachers, carpenters, doctors, police, clerks at Kohls, etc.

They have to go to work because they, you know, work there. This really was a VERY minimal amount of snow. We had about 3-4 inches, and I think we were in one of the "harder-hit" areas north of I-80.

I commuted 50 miles each way for 8 years, and I was only building houses. Even in bad weather. :shrug:

That said, I have many times in my life worked with various whiners who "call in" when the weather is bad. I mean, if it's truly a highway-shutting blizzard or a dangerous ice storm, I can see it, but wanting to avoid a distasteful commute? Puh-leeze. Ya know where ya live, ya know where ya work...

(My DH had to leave at 5am today to be in Huntley for a 9am meeting. You know, just so he would definitely be on time.)

We only got about 2".

Jewel has kids snow shovels on clearance for $2.49. Happy I picked up two of them the other day. You know what my kids will be doing after school. :)

Cookie must be pissed. :giggles:

I commuted 50 miles each way for 8 years, and I was only building houses. Even in bad weather. :shrug:

You are such a renaissance woman. One would think that you've lived 3 lives with all of your jobs and experiences. Construction worker? I don't think you've told us about that before.....do tell....

You are such a renaissance woman. One would think that you've lived 3 lives with all of your jobs and experiences. Construction worker? I don't think you've told us about that before.....do tell....

I worked for Concord Homes for 14 years. On 53 and Dundee in Palatine, and in Aurora, and Elgin, and Westchester, and Chicago, and Huntley, and Glenview, and any other # of suburbs.

Not that I have to explain myself to you. The block button is still where it always was.

It's friday... lets be happy... :grouphug: :foryou:

I worked for Concord Homes for 14 years. On 53 and Dundee in Palatine, and in Aurora, and Elgin, and Westchester, and Chicago, and Huntley, and Glenview, and any other # of suburbs.

Not that I have to explain myself to you. The block button is still where it always was.

WTH is your problem? If you post that you built houses (which implies construction worker) and someone asks you about it (you've never mentioned it before) you come back with the block button? I'm not sure I understand this reaction. :shrugs:

I wasn't that interested, just making conversation. Geez...over the top defensive much?

This is why I've all but given up on hanging around here. I can't say anything without someone getting all pissy about it. Don't so much need the unnecessary overreacting theatrics.

Now they are saying there is another storm to watch for Monday/Tuesday. Maybe if we completely ignore them we will actually get some snow?

What a disappointing storm. @@

Thursdays storm?? Today is CRAZY F****^&*YUIGBXFTGFHBSUIOYH SNOW...
Sadly yesterday there was yet another semi vs car.... car blew threw a stop sign.... 2 fatalities , semi driver was fine. we got the call at 12 noon DH and crew did not get done until 10pm then the snow hit about 2 am here....

now we have the state coming in on Saturday to do the inspections, on the semi, because today they are all out the highways because of the snow..

kay nuff ****in from me again.

Back