What's new

Who has seen The Hunger Games? What did you think?

B

boyzrus

I REALLY liked it! I read the book and thought they did a good job of staying true to it.

The only thing I didn't like was the actor they picked for Peeta. I thought he should have been less athletic.

What did you think?

Haven't read it or seen it BUT I don't like that the story is about kids killing kids..............please explain this to me. My DS12 wants these books and I'm really unsure.

It's about more than that. The Hunger Games itself is a battle for survival, yes, but there's the story about the society, where the main characters live, why they have the games, what the people are like and how the games work.

It's not that long of a book and you should read it and see what you think. There's speculation that it's so popular because it's reality tv. They broadcast the event for all to see and there's publicity beforehand.

I haven't read the books or seen movie, but I know lots of teens that have done both. They loved the book and movie. Several adult friends of mine said, books are awesome, movie is too bouncy jittery, made them feel sick and very, very bloody. Not sure if I will see it.

DS12 is dying to see it......................me thinks no. Whatever happened to Magic Tree House? :9: :lol:

Haven't read it or seen it BUT I don't like that the story is about kids killing kids..............please explain this to me. My DS12 wants these books and I'm really unsure.
i am right there with you on the killing thing. it did help that i read the entire explanation on wikipedia. two of my 3 kids read the books and loved them. and they went to see the movie this week. the youngest daughter said it was too violent, and actually they two girls did. i have not bothered to ask the 13yr old son. i am sure it is just another thing in life that is conditioning us in the wrong direction of violence. that and the video games of killing. nice how it is all spun up into a tidy and acceptable way.

i am right there with you on the killing thing. it did help that i read the entire explanation on wikipedia. two of my 3 kids read the books and loved them. and they went to see the movie this week. the youngest daughter said it was too violent, and actually they two girls did. i have not bothered to ask the 13yr old son. i am sure it is just another thing in life that is conditioning us in the wrong direction of violence. that and the video games of killing. nice how it is all spun up into a tidy and acceptable way.

Considering that the entire point of the series is how horrifying these games are, I can't agree with you here. This is a commentary both on totalitarian regimes and on how reality TV and other "entertainment" condition people to become immune to violence and even come to enjoy it.

I loved the books (although if you think the first one is violent, the third is much much worse). I had a hard time reading them as a mom (my kids are 4 and 1). I enjoyed the movies, and was surprised by how effective Josh Hutcherson was in his role, but I found the shaky-cam overused. In action scenes it was fine, but in quieter scenes I found it distracting.

mrsmom you really dont have anything to worry about--maybe there is NOT killing in football but that is pretty darn violent :)--all kidding aside--it is so much more then about the killing. I think that YOU should read it then you would understand. ( and if you have read it already I am sorry :) ) I think that so many parents only see the killing part and they back off, there was PLENTY of violence in Harry Potter,

I have not seen the movie but have read all 3 books and have read the hunger games book 3x ( 2 times in one week , just a few weeks back..) My kids went at midnight the first day ( 17 and 14) --my DS said that he liked that they showed the gamekeepers planning the events out, which you dont "see" in the book

Considering that the entire point of the series is how horrifying these games are, I can't agree with you here. This is a commentary both on totalitarian regimes and on how reality TV and other "entertainment" condition people to become immune to violence and even come to enjoy it.

I loved the books (although if you think the first one is violent, the third is much much worse). I had a hard time reading them as a mom (my kids are 4 and 1). I enjoyed the movies, and was surprised by how effective Josh Hutcherson was in his role, but I found the shaky-cam overused. In action scenes it was fine, but in quieter scenes I found it distracting.

This. I agree with you completely. I don't understand how you can read those books and them think the movie was too violent. The way the book describes the violence is pretty gory. I think they toned it down for the movie. I expected way more gore. The book is about children fighting to the death for survival.

I loved the books and thought the movie did a good job, although maybe they could have used an extra five minutes here and there to flesh out the backstory more. Some things didn't come across well. At the end my husband was shocked to see Elizabeth Banks in the credits, when I told him she was Effie, he was stunned. He asked how they managed to make Elizabeth so ugly.

I am not a big fan of the hand held camera (what made it so shaky), I thought it did minimize the violence because you didn't see it as much. At least that's my take on it.

The way they rounded up all the kids for the reaping reminded me of a scene from a holocaust movie. I'm not comparing the 2 events, one really happened and one is ficiton, I'm just saying that is what it reminded me of.

I'm a pretty sensitive person and I think being a mother has made me even more sensitive.

i plan on seeing the movie and i am sure you are correct. i hate to read.

I have not seen the movie but have read all 3 books and have read the hunger games book 3x ( 2 times in one week , just a few weeks back..) My kids went at midnight the first day ( 17 and 14) --my DS said that he liked that they showed the gamekeepers planning the events out, which you dont "see" in the book

I liked that too. I mean you knew they were controlling it in the book, but it was neat to see how they handled that in the movie.

Ditto. They made the gamemakers' manipulation of events during the Games far more explicit in the movie. In the book, the reader only has Katniss's perspective. The few times the movie broke from that really helped clarify that the deck was stacked against any tribute that the gamemakers (or President Snow) didn't like. I do wish they had made it more explicit how the sponsors and betting worked. The idea that not only do people watch this as a sport, but they bet on children being killed was even more horrifying than the idea of the games as a punishment for the districts.

I'm also glad they didn't try to replicate the look of the dogs at the end from the book, because I think it would have cheapened it to see it in CGI. I do wish they had done Katniss's dress for the first interview the way it was described in the book because it was far more powerful.

For you fans of dystopian fantasy, check out The Long Walk by Stephen King. It is a novella in the Bachman Books collection. He wrote it in the late 60s, I believe. Also kids in a tribute system, it is a pretty powerful story. Was the first "novel" he ever wrote, and has been on the 100 best books for teenagers list since its publication.

Do NOT read the Wikipedia page if you don't want to spoil it. Don't even OPEN the page.

Saw it twice… I enjoyed it.. some parts dragged a bit but for the most part me gusta.

Clars, you will burn thru it in about 2 hours & be completely electrified. I know I was (and I read it back when I was a teenager :giggles: ).

Clars, you will burn thru it in about 2 hours & be completely electrified. I know I was (and I read it back when I was a teenager :giggles: ).

My son has been bugging me to hit the library, so away we will go. Maybe tonight. It sounds familiar, I have read most of his stuff. Wonder how I missed this one. I love when I can't put a book down, so I am looking forward to it.

After you have read it once, read it again a couple days later (I have probably read it dozens of times over the years). There are so many layers.

Back