What's new

Word of the Day

Gnomon (Gnomic Numbers)

Ancient Greeks defined gnomon as that figure which, when added to another figure, produces the figure similar to the original. For example, n^2 + (2n+1) = (n+1)^2. We may therefore call odd numbers square gnomons.

Just learned this today so don't think I'm a trash can of mundane mathematics.

this one's real, and im sure many know it:

humuhumunukunukuapuaa - fish (in hawaiian)

pronounced: hoomoo-hoomoo-nookoo-nookoo-apoo-ah-ah

inhuman4 said:
humuhumunukunukuapuaa - fish (in hawaiian)
:rotflmao: I'll die from starvation while will pronounce it ...

FIBBER - liar ... I am not a liar ... it is exactly so!

pyranose: a six-membered ring sugar molecule

hmmmmmmm my favourite word of the day is reason

reason: a rational motive for a belief or action; "the reason that war was declared"; "the grounds for their declaration"

manifold - A manifold is a topological space that is locally Euclidean. To illustrate this idea, consider the ancient belief that the Earth was flat as contrasted with the modern evidence that it is round. The discrepancy arises essentially from the fact that on the small scales that we see, the Earth does indeed look flat. In general, any object that is nearly "flat" on small scales is a manifold, and so manifolds constitute a generalization of objects we could live on in which we would encounter the round/flat Earth problem, as first codified by Poincaré. More formally, any object that can be "charted" is a manifold.

Cheese:Cheese is a solid food made from the curdled milk of various animals--most commonly cows but sometimes goats, sheep, reindeer, and water buffalo. There are over 400 types of cheese. Rennet is often used to induce coagulation in the milk, although some cheeses are curdled with acids like vinegar or lemon juice or with extracts of various species of Cynara (sometimes called vegetable rennet). Rennet is an enzyme traditionally obtained from the stomach lining of bovine calves or a microbiological (

Filibuster -
1a) a process, typically an extremely long speech, that is used primarily to stall the legislative process and thus derail a particular piece of legislation or a Presidential nominee, rather than to make a particular point in the content of the diversion per se. The term first came into use in the United States Senate, where senate rules permit a senator, or a series of senators, to speak for as long as they wish and on any topic they choose. The term comes from the early 17th century Spanish and Portuguese term for pirates, "filibusteros", who held ships hostage for ransom.

1b) a procedural tactic in the U.S. Senate whereby a minority of legislators prevent a bill from coming to a vote by holding the floor and talking until the majority gives in and the bill is withdrawn from consideration

2) is the historical name, used predominantly in the 19th century, for private individuals who settled in foreign states with the intent of eventually overthrowing the existing government. The term is almost always applied to Anglo-American settlers in Latin America. The term filibuster and the variant freebooter are also applied more generally to individuals who attack foreign lands or interests for financial gain, without authority from their own government.

jejunator - a person who fasts

farrago \fuh-RAH-go; fuh-RAY-go\, noun;
plural farragoes:
A confused mixture; an assortment; a medley.

titration - {noun} a method of analyzing the composition of a solution by adding known amounts of a standardized solution until a given reaction (color change, precipitation, or conductivity charge) is produced.

Marzocchi - Italian manufacturers of high-pressure gear pumps for hydraulic systems

adding this word here since I used it in thread about Mount Everest: 40 and the Hill
Will define word as intended towards that other thread

Sherpa: an ethnic group of Nepal. Informally, of that group it means a navigational aide/guide for a trek or expedition as such like Mount Everest.

Woebegone:
exhibiting great woe, sorrow, or misery <a woebegone expression>

Purcell - the greatest composers of the Baroque period

Kismet - Destiny; fate.

a time for everything........

Hexagen key - I forgot my at home ... so ... my bike saddle hurts me :bawl:

empaquetage - art form which consists of wrapping objects especially large items such as buildings and landscapes as associated with the Bulgarian artist Christo.

Back