What's new

Anxiety or panick attacks

So you can really tell a difference with St. John's Wort? Hmm......

Totally, but it takes a couple weeks of faithful use before I can tell I'm taking it. But it really helps me. It feels like a natural, mild SSRI to me. And it's the only thing I can stop taking cold turkey without experiencing bad withdrawal symptoms. I've been on Paxil, Zoloft and Effexor separately at different times for depression/SAD. They were all AWFUL to come off of, even with gradually ramping down my dose and weaning myself off of them. Truly brutal withdrawal. And they made me ravenous - which made me FAT. The St. John's Wort gets a big thumbs up from me for taking the edge off just a bit, yet not making me a SSRI zombie (like the Rx's did), not making me gain weight (I do not need help in that department, I can do that all by myself!) and being easy to get off of when I'm ready to discontinue use.

We can all tell you what we might think it is, sympathise for your anxieties and wish you well, but truly, you need to see your doctor. This didn't start yesterday, nor last week and attempting everyone's advice and to have it possibly not work will most likely make you feel worse. This may cause you to go deeper into whatever is troubling you. Please, go see a dr... any dr!

We can all tell you what we might think it is, sympathise for your anxieties and wish you well, but truly, you need to see your doctor. This didn't start yesterday, nor last week and attempting everyone's advice and to have it possibly not work will most likely make you feel worse. This may cause you to go deeper into whatever is troubling you. Please, go see a dr... any dr!

I know and thanks, but docs are similar to the peeps here in that I could go to 10 different ones and most likely get 10 different takes on it.....I've learned this much about docs over the years. I just like to hear as much as I can before I see a doc so I can go in with ideas of my own because the first thing most docs will want to do is to drug (again I've learned this myself about docs).

Plus this may help someone else who may be dealing with something similar who doesn't have insurance like I do and may be too shy to post about such problems because I'm learning that this is not uncommon.

:giveup:

Apparently this is not good for it though (I thought it was lol). Who knows.:9:

well certainly not ALL the time :lol:

but on weekends, usually a friday or saturday night. let daddy be in charge and mommy takes a nice long break for the night. AHHHHHHHH

Have you found a doctor yet, Rebecca? If yes, have you made an appointment?

I have had panic attacks, exactly like you are describing. I had had 2 or 3 in my life, and then last fall ('08) I had a miscarriage, starting having marriage trouble, found out my brother had been cheating on his wife, and found out my mom had a recurrence of a brain tumor all in the span of a couple of months. I started having panic attacks almost daily between Oct 08 and Jan 09. I went to a neurologist because I was sure I actually had a brain tumor, but everything checked out. We did figure out that I was having migraines (very mild by most measures) that were often triggering the panic attacks. Once I knew that what I was having was a panic attack, it really helped me cope with them. Usually I would try to breathe deeply, continuously remind myself that this was just a panic attack and nothing bad was going to happen, pray, and try to lay down and go to sleep. Sometimes I'd describe what was going to happen to myself. I'd say, "This is a panic attack. First my arm starts to feel numb. Then my heart starts to pound. Next my head will start to buzz and I'll feel like I'm outside my body. This happens every time and I am always fine. It is just a panic attack." Sometimes I would call a friend of mine who also had panic attacks and talking to her would help distract me, and the panic attack wouldn't become a full blown one. It really helped to talk to her because she knew what I was experiencing.

A couple of things I think helped me stop having them so regularly. I dealt with some of the drama & repressed emotions in my life. I started getting more sun (makes a huge difference for me!). I went on BC pills -- this is kind of strange but it turned out I was MUCH more likely to have a panic attack if my progesterone was low, and I had low progesterone. After I went on BC pills, I felt great for the 3 weeks I was on them, and about 2 days after I started the inactive pills I would ALWAYS have a panic attack. I'd feel off until about the 2nd day I was back on the regular pills. And, lastly, if I start feeling like I might have a panic attack I sometimes take some Excedrin, in case what is really happening is a migraine. I almost never have them anymore, although when my progesterone dips I always feel like I could have one.

My friend who had panic attacks ended up going on Effexor. She said it really helped her, but it was torture getting off it. She also found that one of the panic attack triggers for her was gluten. Turns out she has Celiac disease, and there was something about mal-absorption of nutrients that was making her more likely to have panic attacks.

I know panic attacks really suck. I hope you are able to find something soon that works for you to deal with them/make them go away. I'll pray that you do.

I have had panic attacks, exactly like you are describing. I had had 2 or 3 in my life, and then last fall ('08) I had a miscarriage, starting having marriage trouble, found out my brother had been cheating on his wife, and found out my mom had a recurrence of a brain tumor all in the span of a couple of months. I started having panic attacks almost daily between Oct 08 and Jan 09. I went to a neurologist because I was sure I actually had a brain tumor, but everything checked out. We did figure out that I was having migraines (very mild by most measures) that were often triggering the panic attacks. Once I knew that what I was having was a panic attack, it really helped me cope with them. Usually I would try to breathe deeply, continuously remind myself that this was just a panic attack and nothing bad was going to happen, pray, and try to lay down and go to sleep. Sometimes I'd describe what was going to happen to myself. I'd say, "This is a panic attack. First my arm starts to feel numb. Then my heart starts to pound. Next my head will start to buzz and I'll feel like I'm outside my body. This happens every time and I am always fine. It is just a panic attack." Sometimes I would call a friend of mine who also had panic attacks and talking to her would help distract me, and the panic attack wouldn't become a full blown one. It really helped to talk to her because she knew what I was experiencing.

A couple of things I think helped me stop having them so regularly. I dealt with some of the drama & repressed emotions in my life. I started getting more sun (makes a huge difference for me!). I went on BC pills -- this is kind of strange but it turned out I was MUCH more likely to have a panic attack if my progesterone was low, and I had low progesterone. After I went on BC pills, I felt great for the 3 weeks I was on them, and about 2 days after I started the inactive pills I would ALWAYS have a panic attack. I'd feel off until about the 2nd day I was back on the regular pills. And, lastly, if I start feeling like I might have a panic attack I sometimes take some Excedrin, in case what is really happening is a migraine. I almost never have them anymore, although when my progesterone dips I always feel like I could have one.

My friend who had panic attacks ended up going on Effexor. She said it really helped her, but it was torture getting off it. She also found that one of the panic attack triggers for her was gluten. Turns out she has Celiac disease, and there was something about mal-absorption of nutrients that was making her more likely to have panic attacks.

I know panic attacks really suck. I hope you are able to find something soon that works for you to deal with them/make them go away. I'll pray that you do.

Yeah I hear horror stories about withdrawing from Effexor a lot! I've taken it before as well but I was a bad patient and decided I didn't need it a couple days into the regimen, so I have no idea what withdrawing from it is actually like except from what I've heard from patients/read online.

I didn't read the whole thread but I have panic disorder..and you bet I saw a doctor for it or I'd bein a nut house. I'm taking 20mg of Lexapro and it works wonders. Much better than anything else I've tried. This can disrupt your life and you really need to get it taken care of. Mine used to be brief but the more you feed them, the longer they last. I've had some lasting up to 8 hours on and off and it was time to see a Dr. I wonder what the trigger is for yours? I know what mine is but if they come on without a reason, get help because its not going to get better, only worse. This can lead to Agoraphobia, google it and see if you're in the picture. By all means, I really hope you can get some help and see someone soon for this. *thinking of you *

I've had panic attacks for a lot of years. Some years not so much, others really bad. I have also had a heart attack, so my panic attacks are a reason to head to the ER (I hate that). But the point is, there are so many good, non-drowsy, mild anxiolytics these days that finding one that works for you isn't that difficult. But you need to see a psychiatrist to get properly evaluated and possibly see a therapist for a while to see if there is a non-medical or partly-psychological basis to them. SAD can be a medical issue, often people have lower levels of certain vitamins due to the lack of sun, the lack of eating fresh fruits/veggies and generally eating more carbs during the winter.

There is only 1 way to fix this issue, Rebecca - GET THEE TO AN MD - pronto.

Here's some links:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/panic-attacks/DS00338

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/panic_attacks/article_em.htm

Do not try to deal with them with alcohol. Alcohol is a depressant; it sets you up for more episodes.

I have a question for those of you who have been on meds for panic attacks. How long does it take for them to start working? I've always been one of those people who just seems to carry/hold tension more than others, but I've managed it. Which is to say, I can get by. And that's not the same as being relaxed. But it's been enough. I have a GP, but don't know him well. I'm not big on pills, I barely even take tylenol or advil. And I'm really not interested in 1-2x a week therapy, though I suppose that's stubborn/arrogant. I know it works, I just don't know how I'll fit it into my life (both the appointments and emotional fallout from them).

Anyway, I guess everyone has their 'tipping point,' and I know I've reached mine. I had to make the decision to put a relative's dog down this weekend, and while I did what I had to do at the time, in retrospect it was WAY more than I could emotionally handle. I didn't have much of a choice at the time, though. My tension has WAY escalated and is made far worse by the fact that I have an elderly dog I am very attached to...she's 14, I know I'm on borrowed time with her, and I'm her primary caretaker all day. I'm obsessive about her health now....and between my emotions for her and the other dog, I'm having lots of panic attacks to the point that, for the first time in my life, I can say that I have portions of the day where I'm non-functional. And that doesn't work when you have kids. I need to do something now....I need relief. This is such a horrible way to feel all day. The shortness of breath, the dizziness, the tingling and out-of-body feeling. Awful. I count down the minutes till my husband gets home b/c I feel so much better when he is with me. I just feel more secure when he's with me, when I know there's someone else to make decisions.

I feel like a huge baby, since I know my dog isn't a person...but she's my first baby. I'm very attached to her...and I also know this is just the straw the breaks the camel's back. There have been a few other changes/sadnesses in the last 6 months that have impacted me. I've dealt with anxiety my whole adult life and have dodged everyone's requests to see a doc. I need to see someone now. If I'm reacting like this to the natural decline of pets who have led a full life, I can't imagine how I'd react to a true tragedy. That's all a very longwinded way of getting to the point of my questions. It feels better to get it all on paper, though. Anyway:

1. Can my GP give me something? Will it take long to work? Gosh, I don't want to wait weeks to get relief. I know he'll send my to a psychologist, and I'll go. But I feel like I need something until I get to that appointment.

2. Can I be honest with the doc? I'm afraid if I say that I get dizzy and have that out of body experience, he'll think I'm an unfit parent. I'm not depressed at all, I have a fairy-tale life in all other respects...I am just really prone to anxiety and, at the moment, multiple, rolling panic attacks. I truly never thought they'd get this bad. I'm so embarrassed to even tell the doc, but I know I have to.

3. Are there any support groups, sort of like AlAnon or something? I have to act so together and 'perfect' all day long...not so good to show vulnerability in society, it seems...I need a place where I can let the crazy out and discover that maybe I'm not so crazy after all!

Anyway, I know I'm a stranger here, but I appreciated all the candor and honesty in this thread...thanks so very much for any advice you may have...

I don't have answers to your questions, tavo, just wanted to give you a hug. I also wanted to say that for us animal lovers, losing a pet IS a tragedy. They are our family members, friends that were always there for us, they never talked back, they were full of personality, and they never said our butts look fat in those pants. They brought us joy and companionship and watching them leave our world is painful. It's ok to grieve. Enjoy your dog while he is still here; he knows how special he is to you by the way you care for him every day :)

I hope you find answers to your other questions. We are here to listen..

I have anxiety attacks and they are closely related to my Crohn's disease. I ALWAYS have Xanax on me, once I take it there is about 20minutes until I start feeling it kick in. If I know I am going to be in an environment that may induce an anxiety attack I take one before hand.

I hope you find answers, it does suck.

I don't have answers to your questions, tavo, just wanted to give you a hug. I also wanted to say that for us animal lovers, losing a pet IS a tragedy. They are our family members, friends that were always there for us, they never talked back, they were full of personality, and they never said our butts look fat in those pants. They brought us joy and companionship and watching them leave our world is painful. It's ok to grieve. Enjoy your dog while he is still here; he knows how special he is to you by the way you care for him every day :)

I hope you find answers to your other questions. We are here to listen..

Tavogels I totally agree with what is posted above. Both of my dogs are seniors and to say I'm strongly attached to them would be putting it mildly. Animals have always been a part of my family and they contribute so much to our lives. Sami needs lots of extra care - she's had problems with her legs which have gotten progressively worse the past year or so - and it can seem exhausting at times. But then I'll just snuggle up to her for a few minutes and it's all worth it.
:huggy:

Dr. Oz's show today is on this very topic that there can be something behind the anxiety like a disease that is not being caught.

Thanks for all your responses. It's a huge relief to know that there may be something that can give me fairly immediate relief. It's hard for me to understand how a pill can help fix the runaway worry thoughts I have but I'll trust (and I know it'll need to be combined with talk therapy). Anyway, I guess this is one of those things where, once you admit you need some extra help, you need it NOW. I moved up my doc appointment to this afternoon, so hopefully I can get a little bit of relief. One thing I will say....getting a psych appointment isn't easy. I figured my GP would just refer me to one, so I thought I'd skip the visit to his office and just go straight to a psych. Not as easy as I'd expected...not taking new patients, no appointments till next week, etc. I feel terrible for someone who might be in a life threatening crisis and reaching out for help. Lucky for me, I may feel like a total jellyfish, but I'm just a garden variety go-cry-in-the-corner anxiety sufferer with tremendous family support. Can't imagine how desperate someone in a worse place than I would feel. Very eye-opening. Anyway, thanks again...and I'll let you know later how it turns out. I gotta say, for as many years as I've dealt with this on my own, I never thought I would finally 'come out' as a major anxiety sufferer on a bulletin board to people I don't know! The internet does strange things, eh?? Good thing there are no good deals right now, because I am SO not paying attention to them!

Back