What's new

GEM Series appears!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Big Dan said:
Steve, FWIW you and Rick are always jabbing each other back and fourth. Yous seem to enjoy it, are both big boys and neither complains, hence I don't bust chops about it.

When someone complains about being branded a pirate just because they aren't towing the SC line then I have to ask you to tone it down that's all. I recently put everyone on notice about the BS in the Karaoke threads. Not just you but you're the one who by far has garnered the most complaints hence the PM to you.

Also FWIW I've had to ask a sponsor or two and even some of our staff to simmer down on a couple of occasions. The rules apply to everyone.

It's never fun for me to tell guys who are in many cases old enough to be my father to behave themselves though. :sqembarrassed:

Dan,

I have always played with everyone and enjoyed it! You of all people know that I have never complained whined ****ed or moaned about anyone, I took lumps and I gave lumps!

But now we have ushered in a new era take note of the stickies posted in this forum by you, Jeff, Greg, and Rob. I have been warned, so I take it to heart and I am no longer name calling insinuating or joking around for that matter! If I do I could be banned!

So I ask you what message do we as the general membership take from this?

Is it ok to take a shot at someone if you are a sponsor or a moderator or as long as it is at one particular person? Or are the rules for everyone regardless of their status on the board?

I'll give you a perfect example of what I just received, it really doesn't bother me but it is based on the fact that we are no longer allowed to give and take freely!~

Today 03:13 PMStreaker
Thunder,

I can't believe you (the guy who sits here 24/7 ****ing and moaning) of all people would whine and cry about something I said.

Not sure if you're trying to earn brownie points with Kurty-poo or you are just that big of a hypocrite however, your constant negativity on the forums shows me that you're a bitter old man with a serious chip on your shoulder.

If you don't like reading what I type place me on ignore but, when you spend all day being negative then accuse someone else of the exact same thing, it just makes people wonder what the hell you're smoking.

You're negative/rude all the time and then you whine like a lil school girl when you feel someone else was rude... What a pu**y.

Of course he may have missed my post about being straight and no longer tolerating the insinuations and name calling from myself or anyone else but even so there is no excuse for it!

SoftJock Rick said:
I've already said I don't trust them in the long term. The license agreement they are using seems odd at best, and the potential for lawsuits going beyond what they are already doing, is a potential future liability.

The prospect of this hostile environment that they've created, will have effects upon the entire food chain in the industry.

I'd prefer they fold, and not do any more damage to the industry, although I am not going out of my way to help (or hinder) that. They seem to be doing fine at it themselves... ;)

Ok I understand, so don't produce a karaoke player! It really won't affect the industry or Sound Choice for that matter! Since that is your only issue I would say you have pretty well covered it!

Wall Of Sound said:
Ok Chip, let me ask the question....

Why did you between June 2009 & June 2010 go from 7 systems to 1?

I run 2 systems with both books on my website which are different...

(I'm not advertising, just posted the link for reference)

Not that it's really any of your business, nor do I owe you or anyone else here an explanation (especially since the question was snarky to being with), but if you really must know...

I had been looking for a few years into getting out of this business as a main source of income. It had become tiring spending all day moving equipment and all night dealing with drunk people and irresponsible hosts that would rather go out on a date than work when you really needed them to, or called in sick 2 hours before a show.

[sidenote: Even you, Wall Of Sound, have commented that you need to find someone you can "trust" to run your 2nd rig. Try it with 7 rigs over 15 years and see if it wears on you.]

Then there was also the issue of not being able to park my truck anywhere near my home, which made things highly inconvenient. An opportunity came along and I took it. I now have a business which is my "day job" and is going quite well, unrelated to Karaoke, and is making up for what I have lost by giving up the shows I used to have. As a matter of fact, it pays much better for much less work. (You'd hate it... no chance to "meet girls")

Now, I can work during the day and be home with my wife at night.

At this point, I am what you would categorize as a Karaoke hobbyist, and much happier for it.

Perhaps this is a question for a new thread, but for all of the full-time hosts here...how long do you think you can do this full-time, and what will you do when you feel you shouldn't, can't, or just don't want to anymore?

There is obviously no Karaoke retirement plan.

c. staley said:
Not that it's really any of your business, nor do I owe you or anyone else here an explanation (especially since the question was snarky to being with), but if you really must know...

I had been looking for a few years into getting out of this business as a main source of income. It had become tiring spending all day moving equipment and all night dealing with drunk people and irresponsible hosts that would rather go out on a date than work when you really needed them to, or called in sick 2 hours before a show.

[sidenote: Even you, Wall Of Sound, have commented that you need to find someone you can "trust" to run your 2nd rig. Try it with 7 rigs over 15 years and see if it wears on you.]

Then there was also the issue of not being able to park my truck anywhere near my home, which made things highly inconvenient. An opportunity came along and I took it. I now have a business which is my "day job" and is going quite well, unrelated to Karaoke, and is making up for what I have lost by giving up the shows I used to have. As a matter of fact, it pays much better for much less work. (You'd hate it... no chance to "meet girls")

Now, I can work during the day and be home with my wife at night.

At this point, I am what you would categorize as a Karaoke hobbyist, and much happier for it.

Perhaps this is a question for a new thread, but for all of the full-time hosts here...how long do you think you can do this full-time, and what will you do when you feel you shouldn't, can't, or just don't want to anymore?

There is obviously no Karaoke retirement plan.

Well, Chip I have to say I agree with you 100%, I used to have a second system when I found out I was being ripped off by my employee I promply sold it off vowing that never again would I trust anyone to run a system for me, since that time I have found two that I would have trusted!

Wall,

Please no more insinuation or name calling of any kind it is against the policies of this board and could get you reprimanded or banned!

Sound Choice said:
And by the way, we have nothing (business-wise) to do with "artists" as long as we are not using their name and likeness to promote the product. We work with song writers and their publishers - so once again please get your facts and definitions straight before you accuse us of something.

A question here, for which I truly don't know the answer.

Since I have what I consider the luxury of using mfrs' discs, I went and looked at what I have for Sound Choice. Mine are mostly Power Picks and Star Series, plus a few Spotlights.

The Star Series all have "The Hits Of ( artist name)" on the top of the label. The Power Picks all have the artists' names listed unser the titles on the label. What few Spotlights I have ( admittedly not a good sampling) list artists' names under the titles as well.

Doesn't this constitute the use of artists' names to promote the product?

Again, I'm asking because I don't know the answer.

Thunder said:
Ok I understand, so don't produce a karaoke player! It really won't affect the industry or Sound Choice for that matter! Since that is your only issue I would say you have pretty well covered it!

It will affect my industry - and I'm assuming we all live on the same planet?

I've looked at Rockit. It didn't suit my personal needs but, I know plenty of other larger companies and individuals for whom it would be perfect. If I recommend it to them and they decline because it has no karaoke capability I would consider that - an affect on the indusrty.

Piracy is going to be solved by better business plans - not lawsuits.

Thunder said:
Bob,

ISo what I really don't understand is why are you even in these discussions?
If you have no dog in this fight then why are you holding a leash?

The same can be said for Jon, Rick and a couple of others as well even including JOE who has stated that pirates do not affect his business!
!

However, I have stated SEVERAL times that Sound Choice's actions HAVE affected my business, because THEIR actions have negative effects on prospective venues. I have a dog here.

JoeChartreuse said:

Yes, it certainly does; which is why many manufacturers include the qualifier: "made popular by:"

JoeChartreuse said:

Since I have what I consider the luxury of using mfrs' discs, I went and looked at what I have for Sound Choice. Mine are mostly Power Picks and Star Series, plus a few Spotlights.

The Star Series all have "The Hits Of ( artist name)" on the top of the label. The Power Picks all have the artists' names listed unser the titles on the label. What few Spotlights I have ( admittedly not a good sampling) list artists' names under the titles as well.

That is a good question... I know that they'd have to pay for using a picture ("likeness") to promote their product but I don't know of the name.

A few years back, Bette Midler sued Ford Motor for using a "sound alike" in a Ford commercial. Her claim was that since the singer they used sounds like her and they used a variation of one of her songs, the public could be mislead into thinking that she somehow endorses the Ford product.

She doesn't. She hates Ford and they were forced to pay her and pull the commercials.

Bob,

Ok I have seen many times by several different people this statement or variations of it made~

Piracy is going to be solved by better business plans - not lawsuits.

I think Kurt has already asked either you or someone else who made a simular statement to explain it!

Now I would like to ask you! What model business plan do you have or suggest that can be used to curb piracy other than enforcement and sanctions?

JoeChartreuse said:

Joe I am not answering for Sound Choice and I understand that you don't have many disc made by Sound Choice, but every one of them seems to contain this or a statement along the same lines:

THESE ARE PROFESSIONAL RE-CREATIONS AND NOT RENDITIONS BY THE ORIGINAL ARTIST

Which pretty much covers "as sung by", "sounds like", or "made famous by"!

It is just a matter of picking your verbage!

Thunder said:
Bob, Now I would like to ask you! What model business plan do you have or suggest that can be used to curb piracy other than enforcement and sanctions?

If you or Soundchoice would like my advice or suggestions I would be happy to negotiate a consulting fee.

I'm content that piracy will be curbed even without any necessary action on my part. There are enough interested parties working on this already.

Whether or not any of this transpires in a time or way that can help SC is a concern for SC, but not for me.

Enforcement and sanctions have never worked to eliminate piracy. It's just a way to temporarily make money move from one set of hands to another. Eventually, the real probelm gets solved by new ideas and ACTION not reaction.

Proformance said:
If you or Soundchoice would like my advice or suggestions I would be happy to negotiate a consulting fee.

I'm content that piracy will be curbed even without any necessary action on my part. There are enough interested parties working on this already.

Whether or not any of this transpires in a time or way that can help SC is a concern for SC, but not for me.

Enforcement and sanctions have never worked to eliminate piracy. It's just a way to temporarily make money move from one set of hands to another. Eventually, the real probelm gets solved by new ideas and ACTION not reaction.

Very good then, so you are not willing to share your ideas on curbing piracy without a monetary gain from it!

The this differs from your characterization of Sound Choice how?

Thunder said:
Joe I am not answering for Sound Choice and I understand that you don't have many disc made by Sound Choice, but every one of them seems to contain this or a statement along the same lines:

THESE ARE PROFESSIONAL RE-CREATIONS AND NOT RENDITIONS BY THE ORIGINAL ARTIST

Which pretty much covers "as sung by", "sounds like", or "made famous by"!

It is just a matter of picking your verbage!

I don't think that it's just a matter of picking verbage. The disclaimer you present above is for the AUDIO portion of the cdg, nothing to do with the artist. This disclaimer let's everyone know that these are (for the most part) RE-recordings of the music track, not the "master tapes minus the lead singer."

c. staley said:
I don't think that it's just a matter of picking verbage. The disclaimer you present above is for the AUDIO portion of the cdg, nothing to do with the artist. This disclaimer let's everyone know that these are (for the most part) RE-recordings of the music track, not the "master tapes minus the lead singer."

Ian't that what they all cover, when they state "not by origional artist", "Sounds like" and "made famous by"?

Thunder said:
Dan,

I have always played with everyone and enjoyed it! You of all people know that I have never complained whined ****ed or moaned about anyone, I took lumps and I gave lumps!

But now we have ushered in a new era take note of the stickies posted in this forum by you, Jeff, Greg, and Rob. I have been warned, so I take it to heart and I am no longer name calling insinuating or joking around for that matter! If I do I could be banned!

So I ask you what message do we as the general membership take from this?

Is it ok to take a shot at someone if you are a sponsor or a moderator or as long as it is at one particular person? Or are the rules for everyone regardless of their status on the board?

I'll give you a perfect example of what I just received, it really doesn't bother me but it is based on the fact that we are no longer allowed to give and take freely!~

Of course he may have missed my post about being straight and no longer tolerating the insinuations and name calling from myself or anyone else but even so there is no excuse for it!

Steve there's nothing wrong debating a topic. There is something wrong attacking another member though. You're far from a dummy so I'm sure you understand the difference.

I've been offline most of the day. My friend's wife was here with the three kids I was having a blast with them. I hadn't seen Streaker's post but now that's it brought to my attention, I'll take care of it.

Edit:

I just wanted to add in case you haven't noticed most of the mods are staying clear of the KJs threads - Cannot say I blame them, I wish I could too for the most part..Rob, Jon and I are pretty much the only ones keeping an eye on things. Please bare with us as it may take a little longer to things to be cleaned up when they need to be.

JoeChartreuse said:
Awesome.

You spent time and money which has use for both Legal shifters AND PIRATES?

I don't know what a "legal" shifter is, especially since you just posted-twice- on page 20- that there's no such thing, even citing the fact that even I understood that- which is true.

On the other hand, I guess there is something to be said for an equal opportunity developer...:sqwink:

OK, my "bad" for using alternate words to describe someone who owns the original CDGs (THIS is the "legal" part) and "shifts" the content in format and Media to a computer (which by default is an illegal act in the absence of written permission by all IP Rights holders). 1:1 in short. This is in contrast to a "pirate" who never owned any legal content whatsoever and who has cheated all the Rights Holders. KIAA members who are producers have come out in agreement that we will not continue to pursue a lawsuit against someone if they have merely shifted the content from an original legal product and can prove they owned that product prior to any investigation and continue to own it. Pirates, on the other hand, have never owned any legal content in any media or format, and will not be given such a "pass" in a lawsuit.

Wall Of Sound said:
Ok Chip, let me ask the question....

Why did you between June 2009 & June 2010 go from 7 systems to 1?

I run 2 systems with both books on my website which are different... Take a look....

http://psycho-attitude-productions.com/karaoke-song-book.html

(I'm not advertising, just posted the link for reference)

Ahh, come on "Wall" - could you possibly be implying that his sudden reduction had anything to do with the exact timing of our first lawsuit? Coincidence...merely coincidence. :sqwink: And his staunch support of all arguments that could be interpreted as being identical to arguments that a Pirate would make is again (probably) merely coincidental.

Big Dan said:
Steve there's nothing wrong debating a topic. There is something wrong attacking another member though. You're far from a dummy so I'm sure you understand the difference.

I've been offline most of the day. My friend's wife was here with the three kids I was having a blast with them. I hadn't seen Streaker's post but now that's it brought to my attention, I'll take care of it.

Edit:

I just wanted to add in case you haven't noticed most of the mods are staying clear of the KJs threads - Cannot say I blame them, I wish I could too for the most part..Rob, Jon and I are pretty much the only ones keeping an eye on things. Please bare with us as it may take a little longer to things to be cleaned up when they need to be.

No need to worry Big Dee.

Sheriff Ping Ping Ping over in North Cackey Lackey has his eyes on the threads also.:sqconfused:

DJ JohnThe1 said:
No need to worry Big Dee.

Sheriff Ping Ping Ping over in North Cackey Lackey has his eyes on the threads also.:sqconfused:

I didn't realize Greg was around today -- He's always busy with real life stuff so I assumed he wasn't hunting down here. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back