What's new

GEM Series appears!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bazza said:
They make more money this way per set...but they will sell less of them in the long run.

I expected SC to use this set to try to tap into that 90% of KJs that they claim are pirates.

I just dont see PIRATES buying a $4500 set(pre order price) with strings attached.

Bazza said:
From another forum:

"Eddie Money - Take Me Home Tonight"

not available on any other current disc (or even as A Karaoke Channel download)

Previously released, but up till now unavailable.

Maybe unavailable but I have it on SC8223

I'm only intrested in songs that slipped through the cracks like Pearl Jam - Jeremey was on a SC disc then pulled. or there are a few songs that were in the 2000 and 3000 disc that didn't make it to the Spotlight.

It would be nice if they let us buy the songs we need for $1 or $2 each. My guess is there may be 10 songs from the collection I will want.

Bazza said:
I just don't see the logic on this one. I have both foundations and all the bricks and a few odds/ends, as many of us do.

I just can't see re-buying all my music AGAIN just to gain the extra songs. Now, if they had said "For all you KJ's that already have our core sets...here is the RUBY set with everything else!" I believe they would have sold a TON and I would have said "Where do I sign!".

They make more money this way per set...but they will sell less of them in the long run.

I have glanced thru the Ruby sets and there are quite a few unusual songs in there, including some that have been out of print for several years as far as I am aware.

Example: Kev's Courtin' Song by Kevin 'Bloodv Wilson' and 'Snoopv's Christmas" bv the Royal Gaurdsman.

However, in your case, it may be impractical. That's the way it is with any karaoke product. A person needs to decide if the cost/benefit of purchasing this series.

My GUESS is that Soundchoice is trying to accomodate the people who were genuinely duped into buying illegal drives, and giving those people a chance to become legal, its a perfect solution for them.

Anyone who wants a quick way to build a kick-**** collection for an addictional rig will also benefit.

Then there is the fact if you can justify the expense of even just ONE ruby series, they give you a very nice discount on the SPOTLIGHT and Artist series.

-James

jclaydon said:
My GUESS is that Soundchoice is trying to accomodate the people who were genuinely duped into buying illegal drives, and giving those people a chance to become legal, its a perfect solution for them.

Anyone who wants a quick way to build a kick-**** collection for an addictional rig will also benefit.

I agree 100%. BUT they could do BOTH! They can package them up any way they want and sell to both crowds. It's just a matter of burning the discs, which they will undoubtedly be doing in house. Heck, for an added fee they could even do "ala carte".

For them, I am sure the idea is "Make them buy the whole set in order to get the ones they really want". I am sure some will, but many more will say forget it...it's lost revenue. It's the same mentality record companies had regarding Album sales. It took iTunes coming along selling songs ala-carte to prove you actually make MORE money by letting people buy what they want.

Bazza said:
I agree 100%. BUT they could do BOTH! They can package them up any way they want and sell to both crowds. It's just a matter of burning the discs, which they will undoubtedly be doing in house. Heck, for an added fee they could even do "ala carte".

For them, I am sure the idea is "Make them buy the whole set in order to get the ones they really want". I am sure some will, but many more will say forget it...it's lost revenue. It's the same mentality record companies had regarding Album sales. It took iTunes coming along selling songs ala-carte to prove you actually make MORE money by letting people buy what they want.

If soundchoice makes enough money back from initial sales, I'm sure they might be willing to do it that way, depending on how hard it would be to get the proper licensing. vou have to keep in mind that the karaoke producers are operating with pretty much both hands tied behind their back.. Makes it a little hard to do anything useful. :sqerr:

That being said, I for one wouldn't mind paying extra for the priviledge. If enough people suggested it, who knows.

For now tho, they're stuck with what they paid for/printed! ;)

Also in the future, if the series is successful, maybe Soundchoice would be willing to consider requests for future Ruby sets for songs they haven't yet published at all.. :)

jclaydon said:
Bazza:no you are agreeing to the possibility of FUTURE audits.

It says nothing about having to submit to an audit to purchase any of the GEM series.

So just so I have this straight by paying your money to a company to purchase something that is old compilations you have to agree to a let them possibly audit you or you can't purchase?

Heck of a business plan :sqrolleyes:

Bazza said:
Wait. So they won't even SELL you the GEM series unless you submit to an audit first? Is that what I am reading?!

Seems that way to me, or at least the possibility of an audit. Do you really want to jump through hoops just so you can pay them for their product? I'm sorry, but I can't think of a complimentary way to describe the business person who would do this- Especially since they won't supply a documented claim of licensing for say, the Eagles songs. You don't even know if what you are jumping through hoops for is worth more than, say, the unlicensed Backstage version. Just a completely dumb business move.

jclaydon said:

1) .... A person needs to decide if the cost/benefit of purchasing this series.

2) My GUESS is that Soundchoice is trying to accomodate the people who were genuinely duped into buying illegal drives, and giving those people a chance to become legal, its a perfect solution for them.

-James

1) True. VERY true.

2) What do you mean, give a person a chance to be LEGAL. SC can't do that, and never could. All they can do is claim that they won't annoy you ( without documentation, of course, and so still might). They can do NOTHING about LEGALITY.

JoeChartreuse said:
1) True. VERY true.

2) What do you mean, give a person a chance to be LEGAL. SC can't do that, and never could. All they can do is claim that they won't annoy you ( without documentation, of course, and so still might). They can doNOTHING about LEGALITY.

actually there is a way to buy the discs and stay 100% legal. Use the tracks DIRECTLY from the discs.

Any computer with a cd rom drive will be able to play them, or you can buy a player that supports the mp3+g format. Very simple.

-James

jclaydon said:
I'm sure they might be willing to do it that way, depending on how hard it would be to get the proper licensing. vou have to keep in mind that the karaoke producers are operating with pretty much both hands tied behind their back.. Makes it a little hard to do anything useful. :sqerr:

How they package/market it has no bearing on the license. The licensee doesn't give a rip if their song is in "Amethyst Pack 5", "Aquamarine Brick 3.2" or "Topaz Block F" or all three! As long as they are paid when it is sold.

jclaydon said:
For now tho, they're stuck with what they paid for/printed! ;)

We don't know yet, but I would put money on the fact these are being duped in house and not pressed.

Don't get me wrong...I will probably buy one or two of the supplemental sets. But I would have bought a lot more if they had a package deal for the non-pirates (Foundation+Brick owners).

jclaydon said:
actually there is a way to buy the discs and stay 100% legal. Use the tracks DIRECTLY from the discs.

Any computer with a cd rom drive will be able to play them, or you can buy a player that supports the mp3+g format. Very simple.

-James

Absolutely true. However, I would suggest using the player because:

1) If you don't use a PC, SC won't be back to annoy you later..:sqbiggrin::sqcool:

2) PC drives are too slow loading and too frail for constant pro use, especially lappy drives.

Bazza said:
We don't know yet, but I would put money on the fact these are being duped in house and not pressed.

I wouldn't bet against that. If they shift to MP3, they are doing it for cost purposes, despite what they say about "helping" KJs. Why would they bother pressing MP3s?? :sqerr:

JoeChartreuse said:
I wouldn't bet against that. If they shift to MP3, they are doing it for cost purposes, despite what they say about "helping" KJs. Why would they bother pressing MP3s?? :sqerr:

That's what I said. I'm betting they are NOT pressing discs...but rather burning them in house.

JoeChartreuse said:
Absolutely true. However, I would suggest using the player because:

1) If you don't use a PC, SC won't be back to annoy you later..:sqbiggrin::sqcool:

2) PC drives are too slow loading and too frail for constant pro use, especially lappy drives.

Whatever..... on both counts. :sqrolleyes:

JoeChartreuse said:

Why would companies like TM Jones do MP3's????????

That arguement is bunk... as it doesn't cost them anymore to produce a CDA CDG disc vs a MP3+G disc come on now use your brain.... companies like this have been burning discs vs pressing them for some time now.

jokerswild said:
as it doesn't cost them anymore to produce a CDA CDG disc vs a MP3+G disc come on now use your brain....

???

I disagree.

How many songs fit on a single disc, I dont feel like doing the math but I can see one being cheaper.

Just can't win can they?

If they are selling CDGs they are behind the times and greedy, if they sell MP3s they are cheap and greedy, if they release a new disc we just ignore that fact and say they are not producing anything new, if they release a pack it is "who needs it it just means a lot of repeats of what I already have", if they go after the pirates they are be the meanies, if they release a product with no repeats so that those who are pirates can get legal, it is see they really do like piracy because they can make money!

Here is a news flash SC has released new product, the MP3 set is 6,000 non repeated songs and at a reasonable cost!

The way I look at it is now I can put a second system on line between SC and Stellar for around $10,000, I will see a complete return on that investment in less than a year, with more and more venues calling for karaoke shows!

The average number of songs on a soundchoice CDG is 15.

each disc in the GEM series has 30 songs.

So the physical cost of the media might be cheaper but I don't see it making that much of a difference.

I'm guessing it has something to do with their licensing but I don't understand why they are limited to the the number of songs they can put on one disc.

After all, they make CAVS disc with thousands of songs.

Then again all music cds have a maximum of 70 minutes when a cdr can hold 80 so maybe its the same thing *shrug*

-James

jclaydon said:

I'm guessing it has something to do with their licensing but I don't understand why they are limited to the the number of songs they can put on one disc.

After all, they make CAVS disc with thousands of songs.

Then again all music cds have a maximum of 70 minutes when a cdr can hold 80 so maybe its the same thing *shrug*

-James

There is a difference between 128 and 320 bit rate in the amount of songs that any disc can hold, granted if they went with a DVD format they could get a lot more songs on them, but that wouldn't mean any less per song!

jclaydon said:

So the physical cost of the media might be cheaper but I don't see it making that much of a difference.

Thanks for the info James.

Lets also factor in that it will require half the time/labor to burn/package and they would be shipping half the weight.

I am not saying that it is good or bad, just trying to be accurate. It does not cost the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back