What's new

Had a mammogram today.

I have to say, I'm happy to see most/all of us planning on getting mammograms starting at 40-ish instead of age 50 as recommended by the government-appointed U.S. Preventive Services Task Force just last year..... what a way to reverse YEARS of educating women about such an important disease. The call to set aside the new recommendations continues...

http://www.ama-assn.org/amednews/2010/05/31/gvsd0531.htm

HHS urged to pull controversial mammography advice
Radiologists back a lawmaker's demand that the department cease promoting recommendations issued last fall.
By Chris Silva, amednews staff. Posted May 31, 2010.

PRINT| E-MAIL| RESPOND| REPRINTS| SHARE Washington -- Lawmakers have directed the Obama administration to set aside revised breast cancer screening recommendations issued last November by the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force after the advice was met with strong criticism by some physicians and women's groups. However, the Dept. of Health and Human Services still lists the revised recommendations as the most current ones, and the lawmaker who authored the provision wants that changed.

On May 12, Sen. David Vitter (R, La.) sent a letter to HHS asking it to remove from its website and cease all promotion of the task force recommendations related to breast cancer screening and mammography. The task force guidelines, published in the Nov. 17, 2009, Annals of Internal Medicine, said women younger than age 50 do not need routine mammography screening and that women ages 50 to 74 should get a mammogram every two years. The guidelines also recommended against teaching women to do breast self-examination.

The disputed guidelines
See related content
The revisions marked a shift from the task force's previous recommendations, issued in 2002, that called for a mammography every one to two years for all women older than 40. The task force later clarified that the decision to obtain the screening for a woman younger than age 50 should be an individual one that takes specific patient circumstances into account.

Vitter called the recommendations "ill-conceived" and said they were offered without transparency and input from those with experience and expertise in the field. He successfully amended the health system reform law to say that the November 2009 recommendations should not be considered the most current ones.

The Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, the branch of HHS that lists the revised recommendations on its website, did not return calls requesting comment.

First, summer I wish you the best of luck.
Second elicia, your story literally made me cry.

That all being said, I work in oncology. I have been there for 4 years and have seen a lot of ****. Calcifications are quite common and are def worth investigating but are almost always nothing. Can I ask why you started at 35? Family history?
Thank you for sharing your story. I will be thinking of and praying for you, though Im sure it will all be ok
HUGS

Not good. I had hoped this test would be it for now. No such luck. Now they are saying I need to have a needle biopsy. My doctor was not in the office today but was called. Nurse/tech lady said he will probably call me on Monday to let me know which surgeon he wants me to go to. :(

Coming out of the medical building it was raining buckets. Did heaven cry for me or was it just the rain they had been predicting for the last few days?

Not good. I had hoped this test would be it for now. No such luck. Now they are saying I need to have a needle biopsy. My doctor was not in the office today but was called. Nurse/tech lady said he will probably call me on Monday to let me know which surgeon he wants me to go to. :(

Coming out of the medical building it was raining buckets. Did heaven cry for me or was it just the rain they had been predicting for the last few days?

Just the rain babe. :huggy: Hang in there. We're here for you. :hug:

Sorry you have to go through all this. I am sure you will have good new for us soon. This will just be a big scare.

Can't remember if I mentioned this or not but I had a needle biopsy and then after that they took a lump out and it really wasn't too, too bad. It was probably ten years ago so it's probably even easier now? Hang in there. :huggy:

It's just the rain, but said a prayer for you anyways. Hang in there!

Try and relax - from my earlier story you know that I too had to survive a weekend wait - pamper yourself, but not too much junk food!

Sending positive thoughts your way! Pamper yourself this weekend. Hope all is well, and I'll say a prayer for you!

Hey girl. This sucks but you will get through this. Prayers for you.

Keep on keeping on! The best way is through. I am out of sayings.

Buck up buckaroo. As Clinton said: I feel your pain. No, I can't but I empathize and wish you peace. : )

I too had to go through needle biopsy--and it came back as calcifications--I hope and pray the same for you! My surgeon when he looked at the stuff--said he didn't think I needed surgery--but my husband was so fearful--that he said please do the needle biopsy--I would rather be safe than sorry--so we did the needle biopsy and the surgeon was right--it was just calcifications.
Prayers for you--waiting is so hard!

I'm sorry you are going through this, many hugs and prayers coming your way.

When I was 20, I had breast cancer.

I wouldn't wish that journey on anyone, but that's because I had NO ONE. My ex husband had cheated on me and we were going through a divorce. My mother walked out on my father and 2 brothers, and I got legal guardianship of my youngest brother. I was already stressed to the max, and oh, I had cancer. It was terrifying.

Even after having it removed and having a complete overhaul on the girls, I am still scared when I find something out of the ordinary. I tested positive for the BC gene and BC runs heavily on my mother's side. My own mother had cervical cancer, and she still refuses to get a mammo out of fear they'll find something.

So props to you for being brave enough to get it checked out and for facing your fears head on. You are going to come out of this so strong, whether it's a malignancy or something completely benign. I have such a strong sense of gratitude for each day, and I revel in the deliciousness of my feminine curves and face no fear of losing them. We can rebuild them, we have the technology. ;)

Your situation is so much different than mine. You have friends, you have family, you have us. I had a 10 year old kid holding my hair back when I puked. I had a child I was supposed to mother, and he ended up mothering me. My situation was so ****ed up all over the place and I made it. So if I can do this and make it my ****, so can you.

Cry, be scared, eat whatever you want, call your friends and cry some more. That doesn't make you weak, that makes you human. But you're already staring cancer down in the face, and you're not blinking. You can take this. What doesn't kill us makes us awesome.

This was my theme song when I was sick, so I thought I'd share it with you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LV_V8wZsiDk

Don't worry about a thing,
'Cause every little thing gonna be all right.

:huggy:

I love this!!!

My doctor called around 5:30pm. Said he got the report. He said he was concerned. I could hear it in his voice and that was not comforting to me. He said I need to make the appointment for a needle biopsy.

I can either go back to the woman's center and have a radiologist do the biopsy or I can see the surgeon first who will then go to the woman's center and do the biopsy. My doctor seems to prefer I see the surgeon first that way he does the test and becomes my boob doctor.

Something I could do without....a boob doctor. If I don't make a funny I will cry. I know it still could be nothing but I'm very scared.

:huggy: you're absolutely right.... VERY GOOD probability that it's nothing ..... good thoughts and prayerful wishes for you, summermay :huggy:

Back