What's new

Should PC - Console gaming be considered a sport?

Video games are

• Total voters
It is definitely not a sport. It is just hand movements on the mouse and rapid key strokes. It is basically an activity for keyboard warriors. I am a pc gamer my self, but it should not be considered a sport.
It's good for occupational therapy, that's for sure!

Not a sport, but those pro gamers are in a whole different league. Right up there with pro athletes, gets to a point when they aren't just gaming for fun,

Not even close to being a sport. Auto racing video games for example, even those based on real tracks have completely unrealistic actions. As for crashing that many times and just being able to get up and drive again - lame! No one in their right mind could possible class a video game as being a proper sport.

Playing Devil's advocate here, but what if we used the Kinect for competitive gaming? At least that particular console requires you to move.

Playing Devil's advocate here, but what if we used the Kinect for competitive gaming? At least that particular console requires you to move.

There's a difference between sports and e-sports. I don't think we should try to make them the same thing. Sports should require movement, as they always have, and I'm sure always will. E-sports shouldn't require much movement if any, simply because with the e-sport, the game that is being played doesn't require it.

If video games were made a professional sport I would feel bad for society. It would teach people to be 'lazy'.

I put that in quotes because that is another argument.

I have to disagree with you here big time. Playing certain video games has turned into a "professional sport", and most of the people I've seen aren't lazy or out of shape or anything like that.

Check out this video:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mdyde-8YMHU"]MLG Feature: "Walshy" of Final Boss - YouTube[/ame]

I dont think it should be considered a sport because people who play them professionally are getting paid wayyy more to do what they do and it is more of a job than a hobby like what was mentioned earlier..

Chess is considered a sport and it's not physical at all... I couldn't see video games as a sport though. They're just a hobby. Who'd cheer for a video gamer anyway?

Chess is considered a sport and it's not physical at all... I couldn't see video games as a sport though. They're just a hobby. Who'd cheer for a video gamer anyway?

I'd have to disagree with you. Chess is a board game. Yes, chess can be competitive, and you can train for it, but it requires no physical exertion other than moving chess pieces around. Can you validate an article that states that chess is a sport?

I'd have to disagree with you. Chess is a board game. Yes, chess can be competitive, and you can train for it, but it requires no physical exertion other than moving chess pieces around. Can you validate an article that states that chess is a sport?

Chess is a recognized sport by the International Olympic Committee with FIDE being the recognized International Sports Federation for chess since June 1999. As a member of the International Olympic Committee, FIDE adheres to its rules, including controversially having doping tests. The prospects of chess becoming an Olympic sporting event at some future date remain unclear. The naming of FIDE's team championship as the "Chess Olympiad" is of historical origin and implies no connection between this event and the Olympic Games.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess_Olympiad#Recognised_sport

Whether chess is considered a sport or a game is actually a highly discussed debate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess_Olympiad#Recognised_sport

Whether chess is considered a sport or a game is actually a highly discussed debate.

Oh boy, if chess is considered a sport by the Olympic committee, I feel like in a very long time, the topic of PC gaming being the Olympics would probably be a topic of debate as well! There are millions of PC gamers who would probably support this cause if it were to happen. Thanks for that; it has some surprising information!

That type of gaming probably wouldn't fit in with other sports and I don't think it should be considered as such. Others may have a totally different viewpoint (i.e. South Koreans, where it is a part of their culture, or hardcore gamers). I was thinking more of something where you need to move up, or at least stand up and use most of your body when playing in order for it to be considered a sport.

You make a good point. When you delve into immersive gaming such as Kinect or Nintendo Wii, then it starts to muddy the waters a little bit. I feel that a true sport should involve moving around various body parts, and not just having a gamepad, joystick or keyboard and mouse. With that, having to move around carefully, flailing the arms around and moving about using the Kinect or Wii, it seems that some styles of gaming could actually be considered sports.

I have a friend who is one of the top Halo players in the world and is making bank right now. Until I met him, I did not see it as a sport, but my mind has definitely been changed. Him and his team practice 7+ hours a day and are competing for $100k+ during their tourneys. What is funny is the majority of pro gamers are good looking guys. If you guys get the chance, check out MLG (Major League Gaming) sometime. Their tournaments bring in a lot of fans and they all fill up the seats to watch the games being played. Bring signs, start chants, everything you would see at a sports event.

I have a friend who is one of the top Halo players in the world and is making bank right now. Until I met him, I did not see it as a sport, but my mind has definitely been changed. Him and his team practice 7+ hours a day and are competing for $100k+ during their tourneys. What is funny is the majority of pro gamers are good looking guys. If you guys get the chance, check out MLG (Major League Gaming) sometime. Their tournaments bring in a lot of fans and they all fill up the seats to watch the games being played. Bring signs, start chants, everything you would see at a sports event.

Wow, seriously? These guys compete for $100K+. It's hard to fathom that there is so much commercial interest in this. The most I have heard from back in the day was the small local contests where someone could win a Nintendo Entertainment System. Things certainly have changed.

Absolutely not!

sport/spôrt/
Noun:
An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others.

Gaming may incorporate the competitive aspects of sports, but unless you consider twiddling your thumbs and pressing buttons as "physical exertion", gaming is not a sport.

Wow, seriously? These guys compete for $100K+. It's hard to fathom that there is so much commercial interest in this. The most I have heard from back in the day was the small local contests where someone could win a Nintendo Entertainment System. Things certainly have changed.

Yes sir. In fact, a lot of gamers are now sponsored by Red Bull as athletes. Forbes did an article on my friend. Everything is blowing up right now in E-Sports.

Wouldn't really call it a sport, it is fun though.

They do have that whole esports scene, I have followed the starcraft scene a bit and it is amazing how big it is. Players coming from all over the world to compete. The prize pools aren't too bad at all either

Back