What's new

So what are you thinking now? New thread!

I am wondering if I will ever have a day where both of my new kids behave themselves. Probably not. The girl has advanced to writing paragraphs instead of sentences. Her handwriting is going to be b-e-a-u-ti-ful in no time!

DD14 is developing an allergy to her contacts. I thought that was strange, but apparently it's fairly common. Her left eye gets cloudy within an hour of putting in her contacts. Anyone else have this? She has eye drops, but they take a week to kick in. It's always something with her!

I just made jalapeno popper dip. Looking forward to the game!

I am....upset? Sad? Frustrated? My brother and his longtime girlfriend are planning for a trip around the world. They didn't come home for Christmas, and won't be coming home any time soon. (they live in Denver) My mom is heartbroken, so is Jonny. My dad's 60th birthday is in August, and we are even wondering if he is coming home for that. I am glad they are able to live their dreams, but dang... Jonny is their only nephew and misses them terribly.

I wouldn't give up a trip around the world because my healthy nephew would miss me if the trip was my dream.

How long will they be gone? a year? two?

I was raised in a military family. We saw relatives every other Christmas sometimes. And yet we are all fine.

My uncle lived in Okinawa from the time I was in first or second grade until he died last year. I can't imagine him not living his life the way he wanted to do so because he had nieces in the US.

My son's grandmother that is crazy in love with my son lives in Africa and hasn't seen him since 2009.

Lots of families live with distance. Your brother can regularly skype or call if all parties want him to do so. My dh talks to his family 4-5 times a week and they live n Africa!

Many third world countries now have internet cafes if nothing else. And I am confident a trip around the world probably doesn't mean the slums of poorest Africa.

The internet makes the word a tiny place. 100 year ago I would never have known Joan or Ennui on the East coast or Toger from Ia.

It will be ok.

My baby girl, 18 months old, took a fall right during the National Anthem and caught the coffee table. Cried a little. No biggie. She found her little blankie and then we noticed blood on the blankie. Took a few minutes of wrestling her to see in her mouth that she had knocked one of her top teeth out. Kids found it on the carpet. It's huge, roots and all. She is fine and I will bring her to the dentist tomorrow or Tuesday to get an X-ray to make sure there is no jaw damage.

Poor kiddo! :pout:

So sorry to hear that Val. Does she seem to be in pain?

Don't they say something about putting the tooth in a glass of milk to keep it "alive" or something?

BBQ ribs, onion rings, sweet potato fries, and apples have been eaten. Table is cleared and dishwasher is going. Time for me to sit down and watch the commercials since I could care less about the game ... LOL.

My baby girl, 18 months old, took a fall right during the National Anthem and caught the coffee table. Cried a little. No biggie. She found her little blankie and then we noticed blood on the blankie. Took a few minutes of wrestling her to see in her mouth that she had knocked one of her top teeth out. Kids found it on the carpet. It's huge, roots and all. She is fine and I will bring her to the dentist tomorrow or Tuesday to get an X-ray to make sure there is no jaw damage.

Poor baby. I hope she isn't in much pain and the dentist says all is okay tomorrow!

WTF!!!! Went to Jewel today and I am missing all my produce!!! Bannana's, grapes and onions! I hope I confront the same group of cs that told me last week, let us just give you the $5 cause your in here all the time. Thought maybe it was a few to many drinkies tonight but I can't find any of it!!!!!!!

So sorry to hear that Val. Does she seem to be in pain?

Don't they say something about putting the tooth in a glass of milk to keep it "alive" or something?

yeah, I hear that too. Val actually, I would call your dentist now. They usually have an emergency number to talk to the Dr. I would just get confirmation about what to do. I thought I remember hearing that losing the tooth at this early age is not good. Supposedly You could actually re-attach it by putting it back in or something like that. I forget..this happened to a friend's kid years ago.

yeah, I hear that too. Val actually, I would call your dentist now. They usually have an emergency number to talk to the Dr. I would just get confirmation about what to do. I thought I remember hearing that losing the tooth at this early age is not good. Supposedly You could actually re-attach it by putting it back in or something like that. I forget..this happened to a friend's kid years ago.

I talked to our dentist (not a pediatric but all my kids go there) and he recommended attempting to push it back into place.

Talked to the pediatrician next she was a bit leery of that so she recommended I call a pediatric dentist.

Spoke to him. He said to just let it be. It had been 40 minutes, there was a big clot in the hole, we had all been touching the lost tooth. Said she would be fine and just toothless until her adult tooth eventually comes in. He did recommend we follow up tomorrow or Tuesday for the xray and exam if she will allow it.

She is in no apparent pain. Ate and drank like normal afterwards.

I wouldn't give up a trip around the world because my healthy nephew would miss me if the trip was my dream.

How long will they be gone? a year? two?

I was raised in a military family. We saw relatives every other Christmas sometimes. And yet we are all fine.

My uncle lived in Okinawa from the time I was in first or second grade until he died last year. I can't imagine him not living his life the way he wanted to do so because he had nieces in the US.

I think you are misunderstanding me. I never ONCE said I think he should give up his trip. I want my brother to fulfill his dreams. He is a 38 year old man and can do whatever he chooses.

However...Since he moved to Denver 14ish years ago, it is like we(meaning the remaining family here) have fallen off the map and are no longer of importance. They did not come home for Christmas the last 2 years, this past year because of saving for this trip. Getting my brother to return a phone call or a text to any of us is a huge chore. My mom is beyond hurt and has moved onto pissed that he cannot put forth the effort to call or text us. We really dont think he will be back for my dad's birthday. You only have ONE dad.

As far as me mentioning Jonny, my brother promised him that he would see him in January. Yeah, its February 3rd...

ETA He also promised to Skype once a week, and I call him and remind him of this and he never calls back. Beginning to think we are an embarrassment.

Jeni

My sister (not the crazy one, I have another) lives 2 miles from us and sees my kids 2-3 times a year. My husband's brother lives in Chicago and I have met him and his wife only 7-8 times in 8 years and once was their wedding. "Too much trouble" to come out our way, even though her parents live not far from us and they visit them often.

Some siblings are just like this. Was a very appropriate subject to use to teach the kids about priorities.

Have to remember with selfish siblings it is not about you. It's ALL ABOUT THEM.

Your Jonny is old enough to text or email/facebook with your brother. That's what my DHs kids do with their uncle. My DH has nothing to do with it, the kids started it on their own. He does get emails from time to time from his brother about the kids emailing to "make him feel guilty..." :snicker:

Be thankful for the supportive family that you have, and just accept your brother for what he is. Not accepting what are clearly his ways is hurting you, not him. He could care less, it never even crosses his mind. Not about you, or your family. His ways are about HIM.

:hug:

Do you peeps go visit them?

PS - My stepkids grandparents and uncles (the mom's people) also don't contact the kids often. Maybe 5-6 years ago they had a big blowup and now she doesn't speak to her family, they contact us and we built a bridge. They kept up with it for a year or so, and the next several years helped me understand that maybe DHs ex had good reason for choosing not to deal with them.

I think all those relatives are CRAZY for not wanting to see THESE AWESOME KIDS as much as they can. Even when they are buttfaces I still have big, heart-thumping love for them DAILY. Those relatives don't know what they're missing.

What's the deal if you feel like saying? :flowers:

Not really much of a deal, she's just one of those people that it doesn't matter what I say, she always has a snide comment to make back. She knows I make stupid jokes all the time, that's just how I roll. She always has the need to point out how awkward I can be @@

:hi5 to you for being the "cool one" of the family (only in her eyes though!). My other sisters call her a princess behind her back. Enjoy your ****ty life with your cheater DH. I guess she's just one of those people that feels better by making others feel badly.

Like I said, grow up.

Me? Us?

Sure, we tried. We tried for several years to make plans. Whatever weekend worked for us, they were busy (barhopping). If we had a weekday, no that doesn't work either, we will be in Costa Rica.

That type of thing. They like their life the way it is. They like the IDEA of having relatives. They like to complain they "don't see the kids enough."

After a year or 2 (his brother and I email) I finally told BIL I didn't want to hear that again (not seeing the kids enough). If he wants to see the kids he everloving knows where we live and goldang, if they need to take a day off school, I can live with that. No effect, except he stopped trying to whine about not seeing them enough.

My princess sister is the same too.

She visits her DH's family all the time. She visits only for holidays (which I'm surprised we even get that!) but she's always last to arrive, first to leave.

My parents do. Two years ago Jonny went with. We are still recovering from when Pat was locked up(sooo close to being caught up!) and since we don't have savings, we can't go. Which is why we started using Skype to talk to him and so Jason and Jonny could remain close. My mom and Jon are taking a train trip to see them this Spring. I just miss my brother :( He is the only sibling between me and Pat.

I know he is who he is and I can't stop that. I dont want to. We were both raised to be extremely individual personalities and he is who he is...a free spirit.

Back