What's new

The Science Of Sexual Orientation

Chrisl0 said:
They shouldn't use any animal (Humans or Animals) for testing.
In the long run animal testing results in fewer deaths due to disease for both humans and animals (I realize that humans are animals, I am distinguishing the two because if I just used animals many people would think I was excluding humans). For instance my mother worked in FELV (feline leukemia virus) research in Colorado. Overall about 1000-2000 cats were used (can't remember the exact figure, but it was in that range), but the research produced an FELV vaccine that has saved countless thousands of cats. Also note that this research only benefited cats, as there is no human counterpart to FELV. There are also regulations designed to ensure that the animals are well taken care of. For instance in the FELV project, technicians were hired just to play with the cats. It is also stipulated that all animals used in research must be taken care of for as long as they live. Uninfected control cats were commonly adopted out of the "cat colony" (one of our pet cats came from that colony).

My black and white male cat - Sir Wellington - died of FELV. He was born with it. It is a painful disease for the poor things. I was devastated having to put him down. He was such a gentle soul. He had been a stray.

Chrisl0 said:
They shouldn't use any animal (Humans or Animals) for testing.

So, a rat's life is equal to a human's life? Sorry... if killing 1000 animals cures but a common cold for a human, I say do it.

smo1704 said:

In the long run animal testing results in fewer deaths due to disease for both humans and animals (I realize that humans are animals, I am distinguishing the two because if I just used animals many people would think I was excluding humans). For instance my mother worked in FELV (feline leukemia virus) research in Colorado. Overall about 1000-2000 cats were used (can't remember the exact figure, but it was in that range), but the research produced an FELV vaccine that has saved countless thousands of cats. Also note that this research only benefited cats, as there is no human counterpart to FELV. There are also regulations designed to ensure that the animals are well taken care of. For instance in the FELV project, technicians were hired just to play with the cats. It is also stipulated that all animals used in research must be taken care of for as long as they live. Uninfected control cats were commonly adopted out of the "cat colony" (one of our pet cats came from that colony).

Its fine as long as it doesn't harm the person, animal. But that doesn't mean I am against stem cell research.

GoingNova said:

So, a rat's life is equal to a human's life? Sorry... if killing 1000 animals cures but a common cold for a human, I say do it.

Got a point, I just fell sorry for them. I mainly mean when they do it to cats and dogs. Got to remember that even if they do die at least they will save countless others.

Chrisl0 said:

Got a point, I just fell sorry for them. I mainly mean when they do it to cats and dogs. Got to remember that even if they do die at least they will save countless others.
I know what you mean, but take into account that about 96% of all animal research conducted in the US is performed on rats and mice, rodents you'd normally kill if you found in your home. Or sick your cat on them.

ski2bfree said:
I know what you mean, but take into account that about 96% of all animal research conducted in the US is performed on rats and mice, rodents you'd normally kill if you found in your home. Or sick your cat on them.

Well that I don't really mind. That's true seen my cat kill mice and dispose of them in a way most people wouldn't approve of.

They can never just stick to one thing without someone opening their big educated mouth and saying something is wrong or he has a different way of doing something.

Sailor Kenshin said:
"Scientists" like this change their minds with every new research handout.

Thats how it works, they think they have the answer. Then they find out something else and change what they say.

How does one explain the 'nurture' version of nature versus nurture,when many homosexuals come from families/backgrounds/religions that do NOT accept it? There are those **** out there that tried hard to live a life that was expected by family,but in the end eventually turn to their true nature.

melba toast said:
How does one explain the 'nurture' version of nature versus nurture,when many homosexuals come from families/backgrounds/religions that do NOT accept it? There are those **** out there that tried hard to live a life that was expected by family,but in the end eventually turn to their true nature.

If you are born gay then why are there identical twins with different sexual preferences? It it was a genetic "born that way" issue, then how can one twin be gay and the other not?

GoingNova said:

If you are born gay then why are there identical twins with different sexual preferences? It it was a genetic "born that way" issue, then how can one twin be gay and the other not?

Well they may be from the same egg and sperm....it divides and creates TWO babies, not ONE. And even though both share the womb, they are two individuals. IE: how come one can do well in school and the other practically fail all classes??? Or one can play the guitar and one can't???

And one like peanut butter and the other one is allergic... and one likes sports and the other doesn't!

GoingNova said:

because identical twins are never completely identical .There are always some differernces,subtle or not.Their personalities are almost always different.

as well,I've known twins that were both straight , both gay , or one of each.

I know identical twins - one remained married and the other has been married 3 times. Go figure!

Back