What's new

your favorite TV shows

The Hulk movies are forever stuck in reboot loop. I hope this won't happen to Star Trek.

I hated the reboot of Battle Star Galactica. That was my one of my favorite series as a kid, and NOOO, what have they done to it! ;)

Starbuck, the womanizer, now a woman? Projectiles in space? (how infantile is that?) Cylons now human look-alikes (saves money during production, but lame)? Commander Adama now a bad guy (Lorne Greene would revolve in his grave)? ;)

But the series also had some interesting moments ... but it would've been better had they tried to continue the story line from after Earth's discovery in the old series.

(In the old series, the Nazi episodes were ridiculous btw, the wordings on signs etc. were all wrong, and the trashcans etc. were obviously American. ;) )

The Hulk movies are forever stuck in reboot loop. I hope this won't happen to Star Trek.

I hated the reboot of Battle Star Galactica. That was my one of my favorite series as a kid, and NOOO, what have they done to it! ;)

Starbuck, the womanizer, now a woman? Projectiles in space? (how infantile is that?) Cylons now human look-alikes (saves money during production, but lame)? Commander Adama now a bad guy (Lorne Greene would revolve in his grave)? ;)

But the series also had some interesting moments ... but it would've been better had they tried to continue the story line from after Earth's discovery in the old series.

(In the old series, the Nazi episodes were ridiculous btw, the wordings on signs etc. were all wrong, and the trashcans etc. were obviously American. ;) )

I ended up appreciating the remake without condoning it's changes.

I agree about Starbuck. What's up with that? She was an interesting character, but hey--

I liked how they tried to make the series grittier, but I still love the original best, and wish they had stayed true to it.

Yeah the movie's not bad. What I disliked about it was that they killed off the Vulcan home world, and that there's a logical error, ironically -- they acted as if Spock was now a member of an extinct species, but Vulcans are space travellers, and most of the people would've been elsewhere in space anyway; Also, the Vulcan home world looked pretty deserted as if nobody was living on it. Another comical thing is that they exchanged the previous displays in the crafts for LCDs and the in-ship footage looked as if it was filmed in a contemporary power plant on Earth. Probably, they shouldn't have given it to a guy who didn't know anything about the Star Trek universe. That's like a Coca Cola guy running a computer manufacturing business.

I hope there'll be follow-up movies, but it could even be they'll do another reboot b/c of the inconsistencies the movie created.

The space battles were a bit more realistic though, in real time without people thinking about courses of action and making long winded decisions, which wouldn't exist in real space battles -- but they'll probably be run by computers anyway some day if they ever become necessary.

The lack of robots in Star Fleet is pretty confusing though, that Data was just about the only robot in the known universe was sort of hysterical.

With the computer technology we're now having for film making, it should become feasible to use more robots. Perhaps they feared clashes with the Star Wars universe or something, I don't know why they did that (perhaps Roddenberry didn't want them).

But killing off the Vulcan home world is exactly what I'm talking about as far as changing the ST universe because of Eric Bana's character's actions (sorry I can't recall his name & I'm too lazy to check with IMDB). I disagree that the majority of Vulcans would be off-planet; they are very home-based, except for those who in the past became the rihannsu, those of the planet Rihan, or the Unhomed, and ultimately became Romulan. The majority of "pure" Vulcans would have been based on their home world. Although I will allow that his species was not at that time extinct, but endangered.

As for LCDs, well!--what can you expect from a movie production company? Their goal is to make it appealing to the masses, not the ones who know what they're talking about. They leave that stuff to the book writers. If MovieWorld was concerned about authenticity they would have addressed the technological conundrums raised in "Speed".

In an alternate universe, would there be robots?

(btw, IIRC, Spock was meant to be a robot in the original series, but they didn't have enough money)

But killing off the Vulcan home world is exactly what I'm talking about as far as changing the ST universe because of Eric Bana's character's actions (sorry I can't recall his name & I'm too lazy to check with IMDB).

You mean Captain Nero? ;)

I disagree that the majority of Vulcans would be off-planet; they are very home-based, except for those who in the past became the rihannsu, those of the planet Rihan, or the Unhomed, and ultimately became Romulan. The majority of "pure" Vulcans would have been based on their home world. Although I will allow that his species was not at that time extinct, but endangered.

Hmm ... the Vulcan home world had no cities on it, at least not above ground, which is weird considering the part telling Spock's youth which was set in a massive building somewhere. They've shown no buildings or cities destroyed when the Vulcan home world began to disintegrate. But I don't know the supposed history of the Vulcan people.

I think that generally a problem with parts of the Star Trek universe is that planets often contain only small settlements, as if people there wouldn't multiply. But it could've been mistranslations from the German lip-sync, that's why I'm trying to see all of the episodes in English if I can.

As for LCDs, well!--what can you expect from a movie production company? Their goal is to make it appealing to the masses, not the ones who know what they're talking about. They leave that stuff to the book writers. If MovieWorld was concerned about authenticity they would have addressed the technological conundrums raised in "Speed".

The problem with such science fiction is that it gets overtaken by reality pretty quickly. There's no way of knowing what kind of user interfaces we'll use in 200 years or more, but it's unlikely it's any 2D interface.

Also, what was weird with the previous Star Trek universe was that technology was often compatible across species ... a human would go to an alien craft and immediately be able to use it.

Have you ever played the game Starcraft? This game shows how much technology can differ across species.

In an alternate universe, would there be robots?

Of course ... the invention of the electronic computer will inevitably cause the invention of the electronic robot or android. There have been mechanical robots here on Earth for centuries (used mainly for entertainment purposes). Industrialization uses robots to enable mass production of goods in factories. It started on Earth in the 1960ies and 1970ies. Electronic computers were developed since the 1930ies. Mechanical computers existed since at least the 1800's.

If anyone will remember our artwork in 200 or 500 years, they'll probably look at it as we now look at tales written in the 1500's.

Also, many Starfleet members seem to have an obsession with the 20th century (they listen to or make music from the 20th century, read books from the 20th century, visit holodeck recreations from the 20th century and so on). This is completely unrealistic.

Series that are set in the future should drop all references to comtemporary technology. There's enough science fiction novels that show what future technologies could look like.

Perhaps they couldn't do a complete reboot of the series for some reason.

J.J. Abrams was well aware of the difficulties in staying absolutely true to the Star Trek universe that Roddenberry created. It's why he loved the "history altering" aspect of the movie--it allows him to go off in directions he otherwise wouldn't have been able to.

I look at Starfleet members having an obsession with the 20th century the way we have an obsession with medeival times--there are whole clubs and societies built around them. And remember we are looking at a small, close-knit group interested in it; there's nothing that indicates that the rest of the crew members don't have other interests

Perhaps he was worried about clashing with the Star Wars universe by using robots--although he did ask George Lucas what he thought could be done to make the movie better. Lucas replied that he should add lightsabers.:rolleyes:

On the weekly show's version of "The Incredible Hulk" the lead character would turn into the Hulk while getting beat up.

He really needed to learn how to fight! He lost just about every fistfight he got into. He would've been less likely to turn into the Hulk if he'd won more fights.

south park ftw~
also greys anatomy and all the animation domination shows

The Tick. I wish they'd made more episodes. "...Dingoes!!..."

****, our Syfy channel only broadcast the first season of Star Trek: Voyager bilingually ... and after I posted here that I liked the series, I began to notice various flaws in it. The final seasons seem to be much better than the early seasons which I'm seeing now for the first time. But I liked how the doctor received his portable holo emitter. ;)

But often times, the episodes are so dull that I can barely bring myself to watching them.

There's far too few Science Fiction series out there ... I loved Babylon 5, it's a shame it hasn't been continued ... Crusade sucked hairy monkey armpits, it lacked the good screen writing and music of Babylon 5. Farscape was OK, but far from excellent, Starhunter was sort of lame (boredom turned to film), Andromeda too convoluted, and the various Stargate series, albeit entertaining at times, are walking on the same spot for ages.

I mean, nowadays, computers could make filming so much easier ... if 3D modeling could be automated somehow, it wouldn't cost that much ... currently, 3D modelers are so complicated that 3D artists have to work for weeks or months on single models sometimes ... it sucks.

When I want to see a sit-com, I want to laugh - I don't want to see serious scenes when I want to laugh, darn it!

And that was the great thing about "Seinfeld," the show about nothing. There were very few serious scenes.

Really getting in to Homeland at the moment, great show.

My dad is obessed with watching documentaries on disasters, such as Air Emergency. I think these shows are interesting as well. But I'm not completely fascinated with them like he is!

I started to watch Bill Maher on HBO in RealTime...quite funny

I love the show "Chopped" on Food Network. It's the #1 reason I really miss having cable... :(

I really like "how it's made" but I wish they would go into a little more detail for some of the products.

HOMEBODY!!!!!! I missed you so much!!!

Back to the topic of the thread. I have been watching American Ninja Warrior, duets, Lost Girl, Grimm, Once Upon of Time, Tasty Road (on MNET) and In Need Of Romance (also on MNET). I love those shows.

One of my favourite television shows is Buffy or Criminal Minds because they have a very good sense of humour in the way they figure things out.

Back