What's new

so what are you thinking right now?

I have nothing but respect and admiration for Lauri.

I could not IMAGINE wanting and having the patience to do her job everyday. Yet she does.

She is obviously not doing it for the money. Child care workers are grossly underpaid. You can read in most of her posts that she truly loves the children and they are what keeps her coming back everyday.

Honestly being a SAHM there are days when even I don't want to take care of my own kids. It is exhausting.

I have used many of Lauri's suggestions and advice regarding my children. She gives me my boys perspectives and views. She is always right on.

A rant/vent is just that. No need to throw her under the bus....

Just my thoughts.

Another work rant....

We told you we would be playing outside as long as it's above 32 and playground is dry. You probably thought you were being "smart" by "forgetting" your childs mittens and winter coat.

SOOOOOoooooo, the other day I dressed your "little man" is a pink winter coat and fuzzy purple mittens when we went out to play. He was having so much fun I took a picture of him and proudly put it on the classroom bullentin board. I'm sure he'll point it out to you and we taught him a few new words too. Your "little man" now says "pretty boy" again and again and again. Gotta love it when little kids learn a new word :)

It was the only clean extra coat and hand gear I had.

Pretty boy was first mentioned by another child and all the kids were saying it by the end of the day.

I meant no harm.
I know little kids pick up on the wrong words sometimes, repeating words the ones you don't want them to. But could there have been a way to correct them, or to discourage the use of the term 'pretty boy'?

I have heard too many stories of homosexuals who suffered the taunts of classmates throughout their childhoods. All kids need to learn that some words can hurt. "Pretty boy" is a term that gets hurled as an insult by older kids bullying another child.

Anti-bullying teaching and intervention needs to begin at the earliest ages.

The kids I work with are between 15-24 months old. This is usually when there is a HUGE vocabulary jump and we encourage their speech. (no swear words)

They went on and on about pretty boy, pretty girl, pretty baby, pretty cow (while looking at animal book) on and on. For some reason "pretty hair" was very funny and they walked around saying it and petting the tops of their heads.

We also had a huge meltdown about the chicken dance or who let the dogs out. You don't want to know how many times we listen, dance, and twirl to the chicken dance :)

I am thinking...I got an incredible card in the mail yesterday...and it made me cry.

Thank you, everyone...from the bottom of my heart :)

In other news, my interview is at 1 today and the nerves are already starting LOL

IDK why I am nervous...excited??

The kids I work with are between 15-24 months old. This is usually when there is a HUGE vocabulary jump and we encourage their speech. (no swear words)

They went on and on about pretty boy, pretty girl, pretty baby, pretty cow (while looking at animal book) on and on. For some reason "pretty hair" was very funny and they walked around saying it and petting the tops of their heads.

We also had a huge meltdown about the chicken dance or who let the dogs out. You don't want to know how many times we listen, dance, and twirl to the chicken dance :)

Spoil sport! :snicker:

I know little kids pick up on the wrong words sometimes, repeating words the ones you don't want them to. But could there have been a way to correct them, or to discourage the use of the term 'pretty boy'?

I have heard too many stories of homosexuals who suffered the taunts of classmates throughout their childhoods. All kids need to learn that some words can hurt. "Pretty boy" is a term that gets hurled as an insult by older kids bullying another child.

Anti-bullying teaching and intervention needs to begin at the earliest ages.

PC garbage!

Except with extremely rare exceptions, toddlers do not have the reasoning skills to bully each other. They can't form intent.

He was PRETTY. He is a BOY. THAT'S ALL

:dance:

Maybe the parents can't afford a coat? If this is the case, I'm sure we could round up one here on CW.

PC garbage!

Except with extremely rare exceptions, toddlers do not have the reasoning skills to bully each other. They can't form intent.

He was PRETTY. He is a BOY. THAT'S ALL

:dance:
I wasn't aware the kids were 2 and under.

If they had been older, they are beginning to learn what words some children hurl at each other from watching older siblings do it to others.

I wouldn't say PC garbage at all, ask any gay adult what hurtful things they remember other children calling them and you will get a response. Too many gay teens kill themselves because of taunts & harassment. One death is one too many.

Just as racism is intolerable, the same goes for intolerance of homosexuality.

:hesaid:

Do you think that is the case Lauri? I know when my kids were very young in daycare there was a child that was always wrapped in a blanket because they had no coat.

Maybe the parents can't afford a coat? If this is the case, I'm sure we could round up one here on CW.

Parents sign an outdoor play guildlines before starting daycare. I have repeatedly talked to the parent and caseworker about clothes for outside play. Those are the only extra clothes I had that are approipate for the weather. Took lots of pictures of all the kids that day, a whole bullentin board full.

Due to this comment, if the parents can't afford a coat, they should tell Lauri or the caseworker. If this has been brought up multiple times and they have not complied I doubt they can't get a coat.

If those parents are bringing their child to daycare without a coat repeatedly, how often are they dragging that child around out in the cold without a coat elsewhere?

Wouldn't that be neglect?

I think you are wrong about this one. Just because they are in daycare doesn't mean the are rolling in $$$. I'm pretty sure that Lauri doesn't work in a Montessori school or something like that.

Elk Grove has their EG Township daycare center...sliding scale or even free in some cases. Those kids are in daycare but in my experience there are several who can't afford those kinds of basic necessities.

If they can afford many hundreds of $$ for daycare, they can probably afford a coat from GW.

People's priorities are seriously messed up right now.

If those parents are bringing their child to daycare without a coat repeatedly, how often are they dragging that child around out in the cold without a coat elsewhere?

Wouldn't that be neglect?

She said they bring the baby wrapped in a blanket. It's not like they are letting it freeze in the cold weather. I see no neglect here. Just lazy parents.

Back