What's new

So what are you thinking now? New thread!

I wish I could crawl into the warmth of my bed and curl up with a book.

Thanks ladies - after I get dd from school, I am going to see how much space we have. If the space is there- how difficult of a task will this be? I am a pretty handy person. Aside from the floor, I know we'll need to put down new trim. Anything else I am missing??

When we put down our new floors (ceramic tile) we did not remove the baseboards. We left them in, tiled up to them, then put only shoe over the tile at the baseboards.

Looks like this (not my photo):
BaseShoe.jpg

Shoe is the stuff attached to the baseboard, atop the tile. For a number of reasons we did not want to remove the existing baseboards. This worked out fine and looks nice, not weird.

We didn't do laminate because I worked in construction of new homes for many years. Without fail every wood snap floor we put in a kitchen or bath, ever, eventually had to be removed because of water damage. I know the manus and Home Depot guys say it's fine, but in my experience it wasn't and I didn't want the heartache. Ceramic tile was pretty easy for me; hardest part was getting all that tile upstairs to the kitchen (we have a raised ranch).

If doing wood laminate you will need the right type of saw and and understanding of angles to make the cuts you'll need.

Good luck!

So - how hard is it to install laminate wood flooring? Harmonics to be specific? I want it for the kitchen but that flooring also connects to the laundry room with closet, and pantry and powder room. We are in a rental so I thought if me and dh could save $$ on labor they will do it.

If you are handy, laminate is not hard at all, especially if your subfloor is sound and good to go. We just installed about 600 sq ft of laminates in living room, family room and hallway and tiles in the kitchen. Most laminate manufacturers do not recommend laminate under the appliances or cabinets.

The actual laminate installation took us about 3-4 days for the majority and a few more days for the nooks and crannies. However, we had to reinforce the subfloor, tore a few layers of underlayment and linoleum previously installed and reinstalled new plywood underlayment, so the prep work took a lot of time.

I have to get my acts together to do the trims though. :)

I have the stomach flu. Kids had something else. Ds8 had a sore throat, headache, and low grade fever, but is now a lot better. Dd5 has nasty cold like symptoms. Ds12 had flu like symptoms with headache, sore throat, and nausea but seems to be recovering. When I get the stomach flu, I get it bad. Last time I had it the symptoms stretched on for a couple of weeks. The only bright spot I'm clinging to is there can't be much in me. Breakfast was juice - beets, carrots, celery, ginger, apples. Dinner was soup. It's gotta count for something that there can't be much in me...........:)

Thinking it's weird that I feel all happy inside whenever I get carded to buy alcohol. Too bad this last guy that rang me up totally burst my bubble when he 1) called me "ma'am" and then 2) told me his manager says to card anyone that looks under 40 ...

What makes things worse is that he was probably half my age and most likely born in the very late 80s or early 90s ... a period of time that doesn't seem like all that long ago to me!

I asked dh to go to the store and get saltines, oyster crackers, bananas, and pedialyte and he asked if I had any coupons for them. I'm sick.......NO, I do not have any coupons! I haven't eaten anything (solid) all day. ...............I don't even care whether there are any coupons for the stuff.:hides: Ahhh, it's probably sweet that he asked though. I'm not even gonna look at the receipt.

I asked dh to go to the store and get saltines, oyster crackers, bananas, and pedialyte and he asked if I had any coupons for them. I'm sick.......NO, I do not have any coupons! I haven't eaten anything (solid) all day. ...............I don't even care whether there are any coupons for the stuff.:hides: Ahhh, it's probably sweet that he asked though. I'm not even gonna look at the receipt.

Feel better soon hsmom!:flowers:

I am gonna kill these snowmobilers....you are up and down a residential street that gets quite a bit of traffic...you NEED to go to a field and snowmobile there...there is one not far from here you stupid morons!

I'm going to cry. Just got home from work and looked at the carpets that were cleaned this morning. They actually look worse. The rest of the carpet is cleaner and none of the stains came out. He said they would. Now I don't have enough money to replace the **** carpets.

I'm going to cry. Just got home from work and looked at the carpets that were cleaned this morning. They actually look worse. The rest of the carpet is cleaner and none of the stains came out. He said they would. Now I don't have enough money to replace the **** carpets.
That's horrible. The last time I remember having someone come out and "professionally" clean our carpets we ended up with stains on them from the actual cleaning. I wanted to get my money's worth so I had them clean the entire carpet and when they put the furniture back over it they didn't put anything under the furniture and it caused stains. I hate carpet because it eventually stains!

The worst part is .... my husband was here. WTF was he thinking letting this guy leave PAID, without looking at the results? The stairs look great. Everything else I'm seeing stains I never noticed before, or the stains I did see look even bigger. And my husband is insisting we don't need to replace it, even though we're putting the house on the market in a couple of weeks. This cleaner was recommended by our realtor, too. Hubby is going to call tomorrow and point out that some of the stains came back when the carpet dried.

Some of the things my vol.'s say are so INAPPROPRIATE...it is so awkward trying to get them to realize that. Sometimes I think WTMI. Tonight was another one of those nights!

Maybe its a woman thing but why the big concern or caring about bananas (especially in the snow ****in' thread but seems to keep coming up)? What am I missing, I am assuming its the ones from the produce dept :snort:everyone is talking about? Bananas just seem icky to me so no reason I'd ever have them in the house.

Maybe its a woman thing but why the big concern or caring about bananas (especially in the snow ****in' thread but seems to keep coming up)? What am I missing, I am assuming its the ones from the produce dept :snort:everyone is talking about? Bananas just seem icky to me so no reason I'd ever have them in the house.
QFS

Double QFS :faint: and especially its ennui ok, Triple that since it was a valid question OBVIOUSLY. The ladies here except you who mention bananas have lots of options for fullfillment, so that's not their reason, you can do what you do with them.

Time for a ::busted::

So, our new kids wake up at the crap of dawn. We do not. (And I should add here, I am NOT. :lol: ) We have a "rule" that they are to read until 7:40am. This morning is the FIRST time in almost 3 months that I have gone over to their rooms and they are BOTH reading. Usually they get out a million toys.

:faint:

Progress!

:bliss:
So are the new kids up yet :)

Double QFS :faint: and especially its ennui ok, Triple that since it was a valid question OBVIOUSLY. The ladies here except you who mention bananas have lots of options for fullfillment, so that's not their reason, you can do what you do with them.

Time for a ::busted::

QFS.

Back